Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have had it- "no mas"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

This is beginning to read like a retirement thread. LOL. Good for me, as I'm looking forward to it in about 5 years or 10.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

I have similar thoughts. There's no perfect solution. Move to Europe where climate is a little more compressed? Nah, I'd miss the US too much. But when I come back, the question of where home should be is a frequent discussion point. And, yes, year round driving is at the top of my list. Short of CA, seems like splitting time is the best solution.

TX and FL climate are unbearable in the summer unless you are in the water. They are great outside that and the BUGS. But they are complimentary climates to living in a place like Chicago. They both gave **** weather but at opposite times of the year. Hill country definitely nice.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts

I live is SW Florida. Summers are hot (but bearable), and no bugs to speak of. The real problem for enjoying outdoors, boating, car drives is the daily bands of rain in July/Agust/Sept.

I think Chapel Hill/Durham area of NC is great. Fly into RDI. Lot's of great drives, including into lowlands/mountains, coast, Blue Ridge Parkway. VIR not far. Thinking of heading up there this summer to look at houses.
Florida roads aren't much fun. Can blast around ranch land in the middle of the state...but near coast is endless traffic, traffic lights, strip malls, and ancient mouth-breathers with cataracts, arthritis, shoddy neuronal reflexes, and on an average of 12 medications including pain killers...
Old 04-05-2018, 08:07 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by italiafan
I live is SW Florida. Summers are hot (but bearable), and no bugs to speak of. The real problem for enjoying outdoors, boating, car drives is the daily bands of rain in July/Agust/Sept.

I think Chapel Hill/Durham area of NC is great. Fly into RDI. Lot's of great drives, including into lowlands/mountains, coast, Blue Ridge Parkway. VIR not far. Thinking of heading up there this summer to look at houses.
Florida roads aren't much fun. Can blast around ranch land in the middle of the state...but near coast is endless traffic, traffic lights, strip malls, and ancient mouth-breathers with cataracts, arthritis, shoddy neuronal reflexes, and on an average of 12 medications including pain killers...
Yea. NC SC are very nice. Terrific drives all over the area and NC has almost the lowest property taxes in the country. The area of Texas for this thread is limited to the Hill Country area and not Houston or Dallas etc. Also worth noting - Texas is great while you are generating large income - no state income tax but high property taxes. If you are a high income earner this is a terrific trade as the prop taxes are only about $20,000/$1mm of value for non Ag homestead real estate (at least in Houston). Once you are retired and no longer a large income earner (other than capital gains etc) then states like Colorado and North Carolina who have state income taxes but very very low property taxes edge out. Or you could be like me and when you are done generating income stay in Texas anyway bc its worth it for other reasons. California has very high property taxes AND very high state income taxes like many states on the east coast...... but California may have no equal in N. America in terms of natural beauty. Please do not take any of this as any sort of political observation - it is what it is.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Scottsdale is the sportscar Mecca of the Southwest and you never have to wash your car because it never rains.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Austin would be my recommendation. Great roads, clubs (not just PCA) and there are 5 great tracks within 6 hours of Austin.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say NC. The Smokies are a blast but can have some winter weather. Asheville area and South of it. Highlands is a great little town, in the area. You really close to Atlanta too. Plus you would be in the heart of the Smokies gt events.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:34 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 591 Posts

ORANGE COUNTY, CA
did a trip 3 weeks ago with my son and drove the canyons, we both agreed that these were the best roads we have ever driven . Roads were almost empty for the most part , the scenery was fantastic.
weather and food was great
Old 04-05-2018, 10:15 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
What is this winter you speak of?

TX, AZ or NV for me.
A lot milder than summers in those states!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:30 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
Can’t help with any recommendations but I’ve had it wth the weather in the overly cold northeast. There are three to four usable months of the year.

Ortho Joe. My friends rant and rave about California. Politics aside is cali that bad? My wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Northern California, Texas or maybe Florida simply because of the weather.
coming from SF, yes. unless you don't mind homeless and escalating crime. ****ty, ****TY roads (in SF proper) and of course the stupid high cost of living.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:44 AM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=texascarlover;14919428]
Originally Posted by texascarlover

This is CORRECT. Hill Country TX for sure. Great food. Beautiful. All of the above and hey its Texas - its terrific. I love CA and have so many friends there and once lived in Manhattan Beach but I gotta say the Hill Country region (around Austin) or around Ashville NC are the greatest for what you need but COTA makes the Austin area edge it out. For road driving there is a place near Austin called the 3 Sisters drive. Google it. Sooo much fun.
All of the above, but San Antonio. Great PCA with multiple auto cross and track days at Harris Hill (Longhorn Region). Still hour-ish drive to COTA. I’ve seen advertisements around town for “car-condos”. Essentially a complex of garages where you can purchase (as opposed to lease) your own garage for car storage. Pictures actually look like they’re done up pretty well.

Having said that, there are some great roads along the coast in Napa/Sonoma, not to mention the track. If you have a place to stay there, that would be a great option.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Okay- I have had my baby since end of November. Weather in Chicago was pretty good for a month but was vacationing/traveling for almost the whole time. Here I sit with 700 miles and the weather does not look promising for the next few weeks. This is BS but I made my bed.

It is time to look for a destination to store my .2 for the Winter where I can fly out 3-4 times a Winter and enjoy her on some really good roads. My Sister in Law sold her home on Hermosa Beach and bought a place in the Hamptons so neither location would probably be ideal. My Wife spends a lot of time in San Francisco and we have friends there with a home in Napa so thinking that may be best. Getting to NC/SC easy from Chicago.

Seeking some advice from this forum. As soon as i decide on a location, for next year, will reach out to see if any one could help out with storage- not looking for a free ride but a trusted Winter home.

Thanks
Having the wife happy is an understated pleasure although N. CA is not the greatest of weather in the winter.
I lived in Santa Rosa, CA for a few years and some winters were very cold, rainy and stormy. Definitely soup weather to warm you up. Then again, you are looking at picking only 3-4 weekends a year and almost anything will be nicer weather than Chicago. The coastal mountain roads are great rippers but the cops on 101 and HWY 1 can be ridiculous

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Scottsdale is the sportscar Mecca of the Southwest and you never have to wash your car because it never rains.
+1,
We winter in Scottsdale and enjoy seeing it hit 70F each day. The area has some great driving roads with a nice variety of desert to Pine forests as close as an hour away. Weather will never stop you from driving. Their Concours is in January and as said before, Cars N Coffee gets some very nice showings.

BTW, Scottsdale is setup for snow birds. There are several professional car storage services too, a quick search shows:
https://www.stablesgroup.com
http://www.rollingartgroup.com
http://www.vmgscottsdale.com

Come join us!

Last edited by Perimeter; 04-07-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

[QUOTE=BCMgunner;14920213]
Originally Posted by texascarlover

All of the above, but San Antonio. Great PCA with multiple auto cross and track days at Harris Hill (Longhorn Region). Still hour-ish drive to COTA. I’ve seen advertisements around town for “car-condos”. Essentially a complex of garages where you can purchase (as opposed to lease) your own garage for car storage. Pictures actually look like they’re done up pretty well.

Having said that, there are some great roads along the coast in Napa/Sonoma, not to mention the track. If you have a place to stay there, that would be a great option.

Agreed. I include San Antonio in the "Hill Country" area of Texas.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
I will second Scottsdale. First few weeks up N Scottsdale i thought there was a car show every day. New Turbo S as frequent as a Honda. F cars and Lambo in every parking lot. Mclaren wizzing buy u at every stop light. It's was crazy.

Met up with a coffee group meets twice a week. 15 or so guys. Pretty much every car you ever dreamed of in that group. 944 to 720 Mclaren and everything in between.
As far as events. CC once a month probably 1,000 cars. As well as many other great car shows and rally's. Don't forget about car Auction week. It's pretty much Auto overload.

Buddy took me on a 200 mile trip that had some of the best roads I have ever driven. No traffic great scenery.

There are a couple of private tracks getting rolling. Hope to be completed next year. As well as a storage country club called the Drivers Club. It would be a great place to store your car. Focus is on car storage and car related drives and activities weekly. They will also have onsite detail and maintenance available. Conference center and a social/bar area. Incredible facility. Opens in a few months.

Best of all it's the people and the politics. Everyone is so nice and conservative. It must be the perfect weather.

I recently made the move from Oregon. Now in Scottsdale full time except for 2-3 months in the summer. The car culture is second to none. Love it.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

"My Wife spends a lot of time in San Francisco and we have friends there with a home in Napa so thinking that may be best."

This is your answer. Close to a great track and slamming wine country roads is a blast. Did an entire day in a CGT with a friend in the back roads. A very special experience.

Quick Reply: I have had it- "no mas"