Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer refunded my GT3 deposit last week..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:30 AM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

After holding my deposit for 2 years I called dealer last week and asked for my $$ back- I have had 3 GT3s but this was the worst. Currently have a 18 GTS so no big deal- but that will be my last P car- done with the brand- I have had 25 P cars since 1982 and the novelty has worn off.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
That really sucks. My SA insisted I get in to put an order demand in the system.
PCNA told me not even the dealer. I've been in touch with PCNA to share my poor customer experience. It's been beyond sh$t.

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don't actually think those V070 orders are in any way meaningful.
PCNA said they just communicate demand to PAG. They don't hold weight in terms of ensuring an allocation but it is the starting point in the order system.

It also doesn't feel great when others have demand orders with their name and you don't. It also doesn't sit well 2+ years later in what is a poor lack of transparency process in buying a car. Unless your "VIP" with your dealer.

I hope I get a car but that doesn't change how I feel about the experience. Surely they can do better than this. It's not like you're trying to change the government.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor

My credit card had a balance of negative 5k so I had to do something about that yesterday
I saw that pic and re-remembered my fascination with high-end Audio. I used to sell that stuff back in the day and it still brings back memories of the first time I heard a Mac. I would say it is $5K well-spent!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
Going to catch a bunch of flak for this but would buy a 458 ALL DAY over a standard GT3 at ~$200k.
You are 100% correct of course (whether you have to put on a flak jacket or not!)

I priced a C4S a few years ago, and with a decent level of options, it put me into R8 range. I went with one and had no regrets. Awesome car and worth every cent. Hand-build and special.

So, If you price a GT3 with the Dealership-Bribe™ built in, you are way, way, way, above where a mass-produced,stamped sheet metal car with ancillary gear from a VW toureg is worth.
Once you hit $180K, you get into the zone of true exotics.....it's like the proverbial $75,000 Rolex.....why would you bother? when there are hand-made and truly special Pateks, Audemars, and Vacherons for less money.
The Mclaren I just picked up is built from items that trickle down from $300K vehicles....it has leather in it that does not turn to crap in a year like the GT3, has billet aluminum signal stalks and switch-gear and a carbon fiber tub.
The GT3 just became the Rolex Daytona of the Car-world. Porsche needs to stop the games.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I like my Daytona. It does not break like the fancy watches.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by rmauro
I have had 25 P cars since 1982 and the novelty has worn off.
That must be some novelty.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 273 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
That must be some novelty.
He'll be back...
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The problem is, even at $200k for a new GT3, i still can’t find anything new in the same price ballpark I would rather buy. Used, the 458. But that isn’t apples to apples. The only McLaren i like is the 675LT, which is north of $300k. And the Speciale is really the 458 I’d want, again north of $300k.

In this price range I would probably just be looking at other Porsche’s. Decision would probably come down to 997 vs 991 RS. But new, the GT3 is still unmatched in this price range. Even with ADM. In my opinion.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

No manual 458 and I'm pretty sure the running costs would be significantly higher. And this might sound ridiculous but the Porsche flies way more under the radar. I don't think I want to be a guy that drives a Ferrari.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
No manual 458 and I'm pretty sure the running costs would be significantly higher. And this might sound ridiculous but the Porsche flies way more under the radar. I don't think I want to be a guy that drives a Ferrari.
That depends on where you live.....I will say I don't think most people are cross shopping a used 458 or new GT3.....Buying a used Ferrari can be an endeavor.....personally I would be more confident in owning a new Pcar vs a used 458......although relatively bulletproof there's always that thought in the back of your head "if something goes wrong"......I would be more comfortable using and abusing a new GT3 vs a used 458.....that said, if it's strictly a weekend cruiser, C and C kind of car for the money a 458 fits that bill....
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
You are 100% correct of course (whether you have to put on a flak jacket or not!)

I priced a C4S a few years ago, and with a decent level of options, it put me into R8 range. I went with one and had no regrets. Awesome car and worth every cent. Hand-build and special.

So, If you price a GT3 with the Dealership-Bribe™ built in, you are way, way, way, above where a mass-produced,stamped sheet metal car with ancillary gear from a VW toureg is worth.
Once you hit $180K, you get into the zone of true exotics.....it's like the proverbial $75,000 Rolex.....why would you bother? when there are hand-made and truly special Pateks, Audemars, and Vacherons for less money.
The Mclaren I just picked up is built from items that trickle down from $300K vehicles....it has leather in it that does not turn to crap in a year like the GT3, has billet aluminum signal stalks and switch-gear and a carbon fiber tub.
The GT3 just became the Rolex Daytona of the Car-world. Porsche needs to stop the games.
When Mclaren makes a manual car you might have a case.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Sorry I misunderstood you. I meant to say here in USA regular Porsche buyers who buys Porsches every year and sometimes they buy multiple Porsche models in a year. These types of buyers need to be catered upon as they have established that relationship.

Now, the "Flippers" you mentioned, then they don't deserve the allocation if all they do is flip the car for money.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
No harm. No foul.

I agree with you. The best dealers understand it's a relationship between dealer and customer where if both benefit it translates beyond the dollars.
The best customers understand the same. Nobody enjoys being on the short end of a one sided relationship.

The best customers also tend to whine the least, and represent better profit making opportunities but better ensure their needs and wants are addressed and they feel valued or watch out.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:38 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

While I agree with you that PAG/PCNA/dealers' games & BS with the GT cars is very frustrating from first hand experience, it is that exact comparison why I wanted a GT3 (and have a Daytona)

Both GT3/Daytona are bulletproof, require service not as often from what I've heard as other competitors, are proven commodities with their value/resale value supporting that, have the heritage (look at Newman's Daytona, 24hr of Daytona, etc & the 911 no explanation needed), and I would argue both are top of their respective categories. I would take a Daytona over an Omega/Patek/AP chrono (call me insane, even with the Patek/AP costing 3-5-10x what the Daytona costs), and I would take a GT3 over just about anything in the marketplace because I am a die-hard Porsche/911 fanboy since I was a kid and don't find anything as appealing (458 is exception, but I would stress a lot more over the used 458)...

I have seen first hand some Pateks/AP's delivered brand new to their owners with faulty movements: not keeping COSC time, AP chrono not working.... so more exotic, more hand built, more custom doesn't necessarily equate to the better purchase over the tried and true Rolex and perhaps tried and true (and less exotic) 911
Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 PM
JP Manor
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
That depends on where you live.....I will say I don't think most people are cross shopping a used 458 or new GT3.....Buying a used Ferrari can be an endeavor.....personally I would be more confident in owning a new Pcar vs a used 458......although relatively bulletproof there's always that thought in the back of your head "if something goes wrong"......I would be more comfortable using and abusing a new GT3 vs a used 458.....that said, if it's strictly a weekend cruiser, C and C kind of car for the money a 458 fits that bill....
It's a weekend car only... Even on my previous 911's, I only put a few k a year on them. I really will miss having a manual, but I'm pretty sure the 458's roar behind my ears will make up for that. The 458 I'm looking at is a 7k mile one owner car being sold by the same dealer that sold it initially. From what I'm reading, the 458 had been very reliable to it's current owners in general. If you would share any of your experience it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Based on your statement why would you consider GT3 ownership in the first place? As an aside I have had my 2 year old 5396 at HSWA since 12/17 for warranty service after it stopped winding. I hope to see it again by summer. Rolex turn around is about 4-6 weeks when they need service. Exotics need special care and feeding regardless of “species”.

Quick Reply: Dealer refunded my GT3 deposit last week..