3.13%
PTS - Bright Colour
4.48%
PTS - Dark Colour
6.25%
PTS - Classic Vintage
14.40%
Voters: 736. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 08:36 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Happy New Year to everyone!
2020 has already started over here in Germany and I can´t wait for the new season.
The last one ended beautifully...

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 12:44 AM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
I can’t do sofas on a GT car, but I will say this—the Touring looks incredible in black. Nice of you to share.
@FORENN i'm in the other camp - can't understand why buckets in a touring. if you want a gt3 for the track, get a gt3, get the buckets. if you want a gt3 that's toned down for the street, and you plan to actually drive it, why the buckets (unless you fall into the camp of "they fit comfortably for long hauls", which happens to be a small # of peeps)?
Old 01-01-2020, 02:15 AM
Berjar
Racer

Received 370 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wru
@FORENN i'm in the other camp - can't understand why buckets in a touring. if you want a gt3 for the track, get a gt3, get the buckets. if you want a gt3 that's toned down for the street, and you plan to actually drive it, why the buckets (unless you fall into the camp of "they fit comfortably for long hauls", which happens to be a small # of peeps)?
I agree. I ordered my car with the 4-ways because I drive it 95% street. I tried the buckets and they were too upright to be comfortable for the street IMO. They do look cool but I think on a Touring they actual don't fit the character of the car. Winged car, buckets all the way IMO.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

I love the buckets in my Touring. There is really a sense of occasion every time I get in the car. Sure, the 4-ways in my GTS are way easier for ingress and egress but once in the buckets, I find them more supportive and more comfortable for driving, no matter the distance. Plus, they look so much sexier than the 4-ways and they are lighter, if you care about such things. Can't go wrong either way with such an awesome car as the Touring.
evilfij (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:09 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by wru
Sorry, but at the same time, I also can't understand, how someone else can not "understand" some people choose a Touring for track over a standard GT3. What´s there to not "understand"?
So, if you generally like the Touring over the standard GT3, why shouldn´t one get a Touring for the track? For some people, the Touring might just be the more beautiful car to look at and there is no sense in discussing about that - it's just a matter of personal taste.
And out of 100 people here in forums, 99 will be exactly same fast and have the same fun, no matter if Touring or winged. So just let them enjoy their Touring on the track for the exact reason, whichever they chose it over its winged brother.
You could say the same the other way around: If you want a car for the track, then get a GT3 RS. Why bother with a standard GT3 then? Why not the"real deal"?
If it comes to performance, then the wing is really the last thing, that'll make you faster. The downforce figures on a winged GT3 at (for us hobby racers) relevant speeds (the fastest, I´ve been on a race track, have been (260~270) are way below an RS, and the Touring is not that much different from a GT3. The speeds and turns, where downforce really matters are much faster, or in other words the gain in downforce through the wing on most racetracks is just insignificantly low between GT3 and Touring for normal people. Nordschleife for instance is a track, where downforce really matters, but this is a very unique layout.
This year was the first time on a car race track for me ever and when I got there, people were talking and chatting about whatnot they all did to their cars and talk about this and that and I felt a bit out of place, because I didn´t know, what to say. I just didn´t have their experience to join the talk. Well, at least that´s what I thought...
I had booked an instructor for the day and after my first (very embarrassing lap) I asked him to take over for the remaining 30 minutes of my very very first stint on a racetrack, just because I wanted to learn lines, turn speeds, gears, ... from him. So until before lunch break I felt comfortable on the track, getting faster and faster. By the end of the day, there were only two cars, which I couldn`t quite follow: One was a 991.2 GT3RS and the other one a Cayman GT4. Turned out that all this talking, that I heard in the morning, was actually just a lot of blah blah to sound really interesting.
I would like to say, that I am far away from being really fast, but on this day, there were 90% Porsche, and most of them GT3s and GT3RS and the majority of those drivers that I´ve seen on the track just seemed liking to talk "louder" than they are fast.
But there were also people with older 996s and 993s and even one Cayman. Those people did for sure not have less fun than anyone else. You know, they just don´t care, they just have fun - and that's what it´s all about, isn´t it?
What I want to say is: Many people who have those latest generation of "race ready" road cars should better start working on themselves before talking about downforce or carbon parts and adamantium wheels. This will not make them fast in the first place.
I´ve tried Touring and standard GT3 on the same race track and I literally could feel zero difference on that specific track. There may be tracks, where you can feel a difference, but again: this is not what will make you faster in the first place.
PDK vs. manual, however, will definitely make us hobby racers faster, and I am not necessarily talking about the shifting speeds, but I am talking about the energy and concentration you save, when driving somwhere near the limits: Driving a manual is just so much more exhausting ,mentally and physically.
The simplest example: Heading towards a chicane or hairpin means you can not just simply slam the brakes and hold you steering wheel with both hands. No, you have to perform a very quick and coordinated foot- and handjob at the same time () and keep your damn car going in a straight line with just one hand on the steering wheel while going down from 250 to 60 in less than 200 meters.
And I myself needed to learn, what "breaking" really means. My instructor repeatedly told me: "This is not full in the brakes, this is not full in the brakes". You feel like you are braking fully, but you really are not. You have to floor the pedal as hard as you physically can with your foot. And that is not soo easy, when you have a clutch, shift-stick, and wheel to control and coordinate at the same time. But this is, how you start shaving off a few tenths of seconds in every corner.
Driving PDK is definitely faster and so much more faster for us hobby racers! Just because it is much easier.
But is it more fun? Not for me, because I am not involved in the same way, but hey I´ll leave the decision to everyone out there for themselves.
On the racetrack, one should always work on his/her own skills first.Not only for your own benefit, but also for safety of others. Our personal limits come way earlier than the ones of our cars and it does not make a difference, whether it´s a GT3 or RS or Touring.
On a side note: Tire pressure (tires in general) has a huge influence on the performance and a much bigger one than wing vs. not wing. I´ve learned that on my very first day on the track.

Oh, and why the rant on the buckets in a Touring? I find the buckets absolutely the best seat option for me fro Porsche. They are just so comfy in every way. Doesn´t matter if on the track or on the road.

Last edited by NA6speed; 01-01-2020 at 09:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NA6speed:
evilfij (01-01-2020), fjpdds (01-01-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:36 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Wow, so much text.
Sorry, here some pictures to make up for it...

The following 5 users liked this post by NA6speed:
cbrett (01-01-2020), hellboy_mcqueen (01-06-2020), masti99 (01-01-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-01-2020), Sarawnty (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 02:52 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacki
Wow, so much text.
Sorry, here some pictures to make up for it...

Looks absolutely stunning! Is that a matte wrap or matte PPF?
Old 01-01-2020, 03:10 PM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 143 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by Holdens:
LionelB (01-01-2020), masti99 (01-01-2020), thigos (03-18-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Berjar
Racer

Originally Posted by cbrett
Looks absolutely stunning! Is that a matte wrap or matte PPF?
So cool! How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?

Old 01-01-2020, 03:52 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

double post...

Last edited by NA6speed; 01-01-2020 at 04:03 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-01-2020, 04:01 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Thank you!
Color is Tiefschwarzmetallic wrapped in XPEL stealth matte.
Yeah, I really love the color. The wrap gives it a very deep satin look. And it is so easy to take care of.

Originally Posted by Berjar
So cool! How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking?
You mean how much was the cost for the wrap? I'd rather not speak about prices, as I probably do not pay standard rates at my wrapper.
For what it´s worth, Bavaria Carstyling is where I have my cars wrapped.
I just saw, that Walter Röhrl picked up his Speedster from there jus a few weeks ago (see facebook link)...
https://www.facebook.com/Bavaria.Carstyling/

Last edited by NA6speed; 01-01-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Garydose (01-04-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Bruce911_
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 248 Posts

My RS replacement
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce911_:
jamesinger (01-01-2020), masti99 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:05 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

OMG I just wrong a long post about Touring, and lost it all when I tried attaching a picture. Garage Talk app SUCKS!
EliteThink (01-05-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:24 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

I´m sure you´ll enjoy it! Why get rid of the RS?
As much as I like the yellow color on the calipers though, I can´t really warm up to black rims.
Personally I think, the black color "swallows" to much of the rims shape/details and also lets the rims appear smaller. The rim just can´t show its entire beauty in black or dark color.
Just my personal opinion, though.
My favourite is the satin aluminum color (mine are just standard glossy silver).
I´m thinking about having my rims powder coated in spring when I get new tires and I´m favouring a very bright satin silver, but I think a very light gold could also look cool.
Any opinions on that? Or maybe even examples?
Old 01-01-2020, 04:40 PM
Berjar
Racer

Color is Tiefschwarzmetallic wrapped in XPEL stealth matte.
Yeah, I really love the color. The wrap gives it a very deep satin look. And it is so easy to take care of.

You mean how much was the cost for the wrap? I'd rather not speak about prices, as I probably do not pay standard rates at my wrapper.
For what it´s worth, this is, where I have my cars wrapped:
https://www.facebook.com/Bavaria.Carstyling/
No worries. I am concidering it on my car. My wife gave me a canvas of the first photo I took of my car at the dealer for Christmas. I stopped by at 11pm when they were closed and saw it in the service bay.

The following 2 users liked this post by Berjar:
Litti (02-21-2024), thigos (03-18-2020)

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread..