Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:06 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

impressive stats for a car that is 200K.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,891 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Speaking as an engineer, I think Musk is an engineering genius.

When I test drove a Model S in the fastest config, I was blown away by the overall performance - not just accel, but also handling and braking. Keep in mind that I've done a lot of track days in the GT3 and other cars - I know what 'fast' means when not going in a straight line. The quietness was much less of an issue than I anticipated. That day I thought 'maybe one day I too will own a Tesla'.

So I predict that this new Roadster will be an outstanding sports car - fun, not simply fast but sterile. Whether it can handle track days I'm less confident about, but let's face it, you don't see a lot of Ferraris and Lambos at the track either.

Mission E will be interesting - Porsche better really bring it.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:12 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
lacking emotion
Bingo, and not an experience to drive.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I guess it's OK if you want a car with a blender motor that can't drive from here to Vegas without a power cord.
More to a car than straight line speed.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Tesla trades in Hype so he needs to feed the machine, take focus off the horrible exection. I think the product is great but the Company is a mess.
Musk is a modern day cross between the Wizard of Oz, Mr. Haney, and Thomas Edison. Genius, showmanship and a little charlatan thrown in for good measure. He is a master at manipulating and misdirecting the media with the next shiny penny, which of course will always be late, more costly and not quite as all around awesome as predicted. My only beef with him is the hype and the Ponzi scheme of a financial model he's been able to run by stretching the truth. I'm sure it's no coincidence that he rolled this car out now, to take the spotlight off the Model 3 manufacturing debacle.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:39 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I just want Rimac to make a sports car. Tesla looks like it's in front, but RIMAC focus is 100% on developing the best batteries and electric motors as fast and better as it's possible. If the Valkyrie batteries and electric engines check out on reliability, I don't think that we will see a +1000 hp affordable sedan/sportscar in 2-4 years from RIMAC.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

And, honestly, I don't think I want a car that can run an 8.9 second quarter in the hands of the average Tesla owner. From a driving perspective, the ones I know are the male equivalent of a soccer mom. Not car guys and not particularly good or attentive drivers. Hopefully this car attracts a different driving demographic to the brand.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:45 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

best part is that I don't have to deal with ADM when ordering a Tesla. Lol.

Yeah there will be queue (not reallly, there really isn't a queue for any tesla models except for model 3).
Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 101 Posts

At a certain point, who cares? Last time I checked anything around 0-60 in five seconds felt pretty fast. After the novelty wears off, the thing is an appliance.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by brownan
At a certain point, who cares? Last time I checked anything around 0-60 in five seconds felt pretty fast. After the novelty wears off, the thing is an appliance.
Agreed, at least from a street perspective. My view is that once you get below 4 seconds, anything more is hugely diminishing returns. 3-4 seconds is the sweet spot IMO.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:00 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I’d still probably take my gt3 over this Tesla. Sound and feel over speed for me!!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,891 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agreed, at least from a street perspective. My view is that once you get below 4 seconds, anything more is hugely diminishing returns. 3-4 seconds is the sweet spot IMO.
It's not just about the numbers. The nearly-instant monstrous torque from any speed is something to behold. I'm not sure it would ever get old.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
I just want Rimac to make a sports car. Tesla looks like it's in front, but RIMAC focus is 100% on developing the best batteries and electric motors as fast and better as it's possible. If the Valkyrie batteries and electric engines check out on reliability, I don't think that we will see a +1000 hp affordable sedan/sportscar in 2-4 years from RIMAC.
Rimac is a technology company, their car is just a tool to showcase it. Koenigsegg and Aston are already customers.. they aren’t as focused on the car as you’d think.

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
IÂ’d still probably take my gt3 over this Tesla. Sound and feel over speed for me!!
I think this is an important point. A car like a manual gt3... or a Singer.. will always have a place, because it will offer the driving EXPERIENCE we crave, which isn’t all about power and speed.

The megacars of the world which sacrifice experience for numbers, are destined to be phased out.. because they end up not providing the complete experience, and just sit in garages as Show pieces. This tesla roadster is a genius machine, which will appeal to a much wider audience of casual gearheads. I could see a garage being composed of a model E Porsche sedan or tesla X SUV, this tesla roadster for thrills, and then an old school manual 911. That would complete me.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

A silent car that just whines? And here I am looking to spend $12,000 on an Akrapovic exhaust to get more sound! I would rather have a one-trick pony like a Dodge Demon, and I don't even want that after my Hellcat.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
It's not just about the numbers. The nearly-instant monstrous torque from any speed is something to behold. I'm not sure it would ever get old.
The only guy I know who has the Model S with ludicrous mode said it got old super fast and that he never uses it. Personal choice I guess, but these cars hold zero interest for me. A really good electric daily driver with great range at a reasonable price for the wife to drive interests me greatly though. We'll see if one of those arrives within the next few years.

Quick Reply: OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?