Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:33 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by JQ11
Amazing how much hate there is for Elon/Tesla here - you realize the current Model S P100D does 0-60 in 2.3seconds right, so 1.9 in 3 years and all the other stats aren't hard to believe at all. How could you not appreciate at least having this option in the car market??
I think people are just tired of Elon continuing to over-promise and under-deliver in an effort to keep his company afloat.

Tesla's only had 2 profitable quarters since creation and although I love the spirit of startups and competition, he is basically just using this roadster to rape his investors of more money despite having favorable tax incentives to drive up sales. Many other companies would have floundered.

I have a lot of respect for Tesla but why not focus more on turning a profit at the expense of unhinged growth?

In the near future, the big autos of the world will have their own electrics at a more affordable price, better quality, and better infrastructure. Sometimes, it hurts to be the first in the door when the infrastructure is not there to support it (think of when 3D televisions first came out before any 3D movies were available).
Old 11-17-2017, 11:37 AM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JQ11
Amazing how much hate there is for Elon/Tesla here - you realize the current Model S P100D does 0-60 in 2.3seconds right, so 1.9 in 3 years and all the other stats aren't hard to believe at all. How could you not appreciate at least having this option in the car market??
I really like what Tesla is doing. Competition and pushing technology in the automotive industry is great. If I had a larger daily commute, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I see myself owning an E car one of these day. I also see myself keeping a manual 911 for the overall enjoyment. The E car will be faster and likely better in every way. Well almost, there is just something about shifting and going through the gears with the engine screaming in the background that will never be matched.

Last edited by JWYR; 11-17-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

lacking emotion
Old 11-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The semi truck can and WILL revolutionize the truck industry if everything falls into place. Pretty incredible.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

King of ponzi. It’s good to dream but to over promise things and not deliver? Common investors give me a few billion dollars and let’s build ai robots that will drive, shop, and take care of us. Do you trust me to deliver that in a couple of years? Everyone thinks Elon is soooo brilliant when in fact he grew up watching what others have touted long ago.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Trk8
Advanced

My baddd maybe he is brilliant for bringing it up
Old 11-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Theyre past the point where that acceleration is useful and comfortable. Were already there on some ICE cars. Unless it can turn and stop exceptionally well, its just another appliance that can move fast in a straight line. And since Musk is involved, itll be a year later than he says and cost 35% more than he says.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I see a few rather defensive comments here.

Performance wise I have no doubt the Roadster will destroy our GT3s in most ways. The 918 used parts of the same technology to do the same years ago, and with the pace of improvement it was inevitable that someone would take this step. Those assuming that electrics won’t handle are in denial imho- the tire tech is already there to handle the weight. Batteries enable ultra-low CG height. Individual wheel slip control will enable ideal, on demand handling balance. It’s the future, with electrics set to dominate pikes peak, etc.

Porsche in contrast by enlarge lives in the past, both technically and philosophically. And that’s a good thing. Technically Porsche could have been making the fastest, most capable cars it could have for the last three decades, beating Corvette, Dodge and Ferrari at their own game. Porsche could have easily and inexpensively endowed its base Cayman with big engines and tried to keep pace with the 700 hp family sedans and P100Ds that now stalk the streets.

Luckily for the most part Porsche was far to smart for this. The roads where you can properly exploit a 918’s potential are virtually non-existent in the US, and I’d much rather be driving a 981 Spyder 95% of the time. Similarly on the track while I’m sure the new Roadster will blitz the field, for a long-term relationship I’d much rather have an enveloping, involving and challenging experience I shift and balance myself.

I ceased chasing the fastest car I could afford nearly two decades ago when I realized those weren't actually the cars I wanted to drive. Porsche came to the same conclusion far earlier than that, but while subconsciously most of their customers will agree many still have a hard time admitting that faster isn’t better. I’m fully at peace- the Roadster will destroy my manual GT3, and I’ll still take the GT3 every time.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Tesla trades in Hype so he needs to feed the machine, take focus off the horrible exection. I think the product is great but the Company is a mess.

More interested in the McLaren EV and Jaguar EV products (which are being developed with Williams) than a Tesla sports car - if they survive that long...
Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tesla does consider themselves a Tech company.
I have read on this forum several times and "Tesla keeps burning through money yada yada". 1) Welcome to the silicon valley. 2) It takes billions of resources in R&D for a new can manufacture to setup facilities, to be able to mass produce several product to cater to a wide range of customers. When was the last successful mass volume production vehicle to be initiated ? Porsche ? That was many decades ago. Tesla is/wants to stay ahead of the curve of MB, BMW, Audi etc. Those organizations have billions of billions of dollars to burn to catchup. In tech - the moment you're behind the curve--good luck catching up. I'm not going to type all day but case and point look at Apple with the Iphone.

I'm sure a lot of here own an iphone. Just for the record, Apple was not the first "Smart phone" in the market. Palm and Msft were int way before Apple however, it was the package, UI and touch screen with your finger that separate the iphone from others -since then others have introduced but have not been able to catchup. Tesla is pushing it's tech down 10 foot wide pipe to make sure they stay ahead of anyone who tries to interfere with them taking market share for cars of the future. Bravo.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:47 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

Bang on to me!

I own a Tesla and a Porsche, for different reasons, occasions. (I consider myself lucky)

To me, exactly like:

I have an iPhone and it gives me the exact time... I still wear my an automatic watch though... I would not like to live without my watch or without my iPhone...

Originally Posted by Petevb
I see a few rather defensive comments here.

Performance wise I have no doubt the Roadster will destroy our GT3s in most ways. The 918 used parts of the same technology to do the same years ago, and with the pace of improvement it was inevitable that someone would take this step. Those assuming that electrics wont handle are in denial imho- the tire tech is already there to handle the weight. Batteries enable ultra-low CG height. Individual wheel slip control will enable ideal, on demand handling balance. Its the future, with electrics set to dominate pikes peak, etc.

Porsche in contrast by enlarge lives in the past, both technically and philosophically. And thats a good thing. Technically Porsche could have been making the fastest, most capable cars it could have for the last three decades, beating Corvette, Dodge and Ferrari at their own game. Porsche could have easily and inexpensively endowed its base Cayman with big engines and tried to keep pace with the 700 hp family sedans and P100Ds that now stalk the streets.

Luckily for the most part Porsche was far to smart for this. The roads where you can properly exploit a 918s potential are virtually non-existent in the US, and Id much rather be driving a 981 Spyder 95% of the time. Similarly on the track while Im sure the new Roadster will blitz the field, for a long-term relationship Id much rather have an enveloping, involving and challenging experience I shift and balance myself.

I ceased chasing the fastest car I could afford nearly two decades ago when I realized those weren't actually the cars I wanted to drive. Porsche came to the same conclusion far earlier than that, but while subconsciously most of their customers will agree many still have a hard time admitting that faster isnt better. Im fully at peace- the Roadster will destroy my manual GT3, and Ill still take the GT3 every time.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

A little bit of irony this morning.. the road and track newsletter arrived, with my friend Paolo Garella’s Devel V16 vs the Tesla Roadster articles right next to each other. So, two extreme representations, one as old skool as you can get VS. The other as modern as possible. Yet both at the very bleeding edge of trying to reach the same goal of speed and excitement. What’s the commonality between them though?.. weight.. both heavy as ****. The real frontier to tackle then, is lightness.

I need to speak with Paolo about adding a little lightweight to his next creation.. that’s the “true” modern tech which has yet to be tackled, and would appeal to all us “real” gearheads who then wouldn’t care what powerplant was under the hood, as long as it weighed as little as possible.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2017, 12:57 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

There will be 1,000 Founders Edition vehicles. They can be reserved by paying the entire sum of $250K up-front. This is a brilliant way to raise $250 Million. On the other hand, if you are one to send a wire transfer for $250,000, you could be a called a sucker.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Perfect timing gotta go watch “Santa conquers the Martians” movie.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Quick Reply: OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?