Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I definitely disagree on the handling. I was impressed with that aspect, and as I noted, I compared it back to back with my C63 (which is no slouch for a sports sedan).
Sorry but the Tesla is nothing special in the handling department. Yes it has a low CG, but the steering was very numb IMO. Lots of reviewers have had the same complaint. If the Model S had an ICE power train and it had to compete on its merits as a car, they wouldn’t have sold a tenth of what they have. It’s a below average car wrapped around a unique power train with no real competition to date.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I've put a bit over 25k miles in a number of different electrics so far. Frankly I'm at the point where even a very good regular car feels... antiquated, if I'm honest. When you're used to the seamless, instant power of full electric the shift of even a DCT now comes as a subtle mental jolt. "Shifting, oh I remember that. How quaint". Even mild turbo lag gets beyond annoying, and the combination of the two mildly infuriating: "What are you doing, I told you to go!". Getting used to truly instant response and the absence of flaws only makes me realize how much I anticipate and correct for those flaws when driving current ICE cars.

Of course as I said earlier in the thread I've also realized that it's the flaws that make most cars fun (for me). "Perfect" is often unemotional and boring on the road, if for no other reason than there's no dialog or back-talk. It's challenging to have a relationship with a perfectly willing partner that will always obey every command without question, submit to your every whim and never complain. And unfortunately it's that platonic ideal many of these cars are chasing- rail any corner as fast as you'd like without any complaint. And for a day to day life that's probably fine. For fun, on the other hand,I lust for a fiery mistress. Give me fire, emotion and lively conversation including a little saucy back-talk. Manual transmissions, power and lift throttle oversteer, weight transfer. In short give me flaws.

Hence my ideal garage includes a near perfect electric daily along with some highly imperfect stablemates for flings. What's squeezed out of the middle are "nearly perfect" dual clutch turbos that do everything pretty well. Can you tell that I can't wait to punt my wife's Audi S3?
Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Sorry but the Tesla is nothing special in the handling department. Yes it has a low CG, but the steering was very numb IMO. Lots of reviewers have had the same complaint. If the Model S had an ICE power train and it had to compete on its merits as a car, they wouldn’t have sold a tenth of what they have. It’s a below average car wrapped around a unique power train with no real competition to date.
LOL, a lot of opinions stated as facts! Several Tesla owners, who are also Porsche owners, have chimed in on this thread stating how much they like the Tesla and its performance. Having test-driven the thing very hard, on very demanding roads (the salesman was cool with it, and enjoyed the ride), I concur with that favorable opinion.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:54 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Does it come with at MT?
The roadster probably is just 1 speed, no tranny needed.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 AM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No my question was what about the EV part of it is so great. You said it was more than efficiency. Other than gas savings, what about it being an EV was better in your mind than if it was ICE?
In southern California traffic, here's why I daily drive the Model S.
1. Hatchback to haul clients, construction equipment, tools and materials when the truck or van isn't available.
2. Carpool lane access when I commute
3. No smog check
4. No gas station stops
5. Large navigation screen to reroute quickly
6. Silent enough to talk to clients/vendors while driving
7. Ranger service that reduces trips to dealer for service or repairs
8. Supercharger access
9. Good (not great) performance and handling.

For the wifey's x, she loves the auto-summon, self-closing doors, self-presenting doors, autopilot (which is fancy cruise control), autopark, biohazard filtration, and seating for 7.

There's no one car that does all things. But for me the S does a lot of what I need for the daily commute. I save the Pcars for weekend enjoyment.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 416 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by rayng
In southern California traffic, here's why I daily drive the Model S.
1. Hatchback to haul clients, construction equipment, tools and materials when the truck or van isn't available.
2. Carpool lane access when I commute
3. No smog check
4. No gas station stops
5. Large navigation screen to reroute quickly
6. Silent enough to talk to clients/vendors while driving
7. Ranger service that reduces trips to dealer for service or repairs
8. Supercharger access
9. Good (not great) performance and handling.

For the wifey's x, she loves the auto-summon, self-closing doors, self-presenting doors, autopilot (which is fancy cruise control), autopark, biohazard filtration, and seating for 7.

There's no one car that does all things. But for me the S does a lot of what I need for the daily commute. I save the Pcars for weekend enjoyment.
Just to play Devil’s advocate:

No gas station stops? The range of a model S is less then the range of most if not all ICE vehicles. And if you have to charge the S it will take longer than filling a gas tank.

Large navigation screen shouldn’t make much of a difference in using a navigation system as your phone can do the same thing albeit on a smaller screen.

Silent? What cars would you be driving around clients that you can’t talk to them? The only car I’ve driven in, ever, that was difficult to talk in was a GT4 with essentially no mufflers. Not the type of car you would be taking clients in.

For the price point of a new model S you can find other dealerships that will pick up the car from you for service and leave a loaner.

Supercharger access- way more gas stations than supercharger locations and again filling a gas tank is much quicker than filling the batteries.

Performance - the car is quick. Handling is ok. Steering seemed numb to me and it is a very heavy car.

I never understood the interior quality for the price point. At the S price point i think people would spend a few thousand more for a nicer interior. And they add a lot of gimmicky items to the cars before I feel they make sure they work properly. (I.e Model X rear doors).

I get why people like them. But i also get why people don’t and why some will hate on Tesla. The debates will rage on for a while.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/investigation-h...sed-1820678661

then there are these unsavory aspects of electrification.. but i believe the issue with rare-metal mining from countries without child labor laws apply to catalytic converter metals also.. but still. A reminder of what our first world "problem" luxuries actually COST in human terms.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

By bets on how soon Apple will buy tesla?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm betting that Apple may buy McLaren before they buy Tesla.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by bliq00
The roadster probably is just 1 speed, no tranny needed.
So no clutch pedal?

What about a flywheel?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
LOL, a lot of opinions stated as facts! Several Tesla owners, who are also Porsche owners, have chimed in on this thread stating how much they like the Tesla and its performance. Having test-driven the thing very hard, on very demanding roads (the salesman was cool with it, and enjoyed the ride), I concur with that favorable opinion.
Not facts. My opinion. And I know a lot of people who have driven them as well who agree. As do a number of auto journalists who had similar comments about the handling. All personal opinion. YMMV.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think they would have done it already if they had any intention to buy them.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Tesla will be bankrupt before this comes out. By the way im making a $190k car that does 0 to 60 in 1.7 seconds and a top speed of 280. Its a few years out though. Im looking for investors. Anyone interested?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Tesla will be bankrupt before this comes out. By the way im making a $190k car that does 0 to 60 in 1.7 seconds and a top speed of 280. Its a few years out though. Im looking for investors. Anyone interested?
Depends... how many cars have you built? Billion dollar businesses?

Quick Reply: OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?