Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo

Little feedback up until now as I've mostly been out driving since I took delivery in August. Local break in runs, fun weekend outings in the Ardennes, vacation in the Austrian Alps. All amounts to nearly 5000 km on the clock. I'm not a good reviewer, nor do I like to write prose, so allow me to just share my thoughts in a non structured dump.

+ lots of torque compared to my 991C2
+/- engine shrieks to 9000 rpm like it is going to launch itself into the stratosphere. But I'm not quite sure what to think of it though. Everyone is raving. But I don't get the "wow that's f*cking fast" at the top end. To me the torque is more impressive when you overtake than when you just rev it out. I don't know, it just seems to take a long time to get to 9000 rpm without really giving extra oooomph. Might be just my buttometer that's not calibrated well though ;-)
+ PDK rules. The way it bangs in the gear, the pop in the exhaust, sounds sounds like a f*cking cup racecar to me, AWESOME. The aggression that goes with it sends chills down my spine. I'd sorely miss that in a MT car !
+ carbon folding bucket are very supportive, very comfortable, also for longer journeys
+ suspension comfort is perfectly fine, also for longer travels
+ in the beginning, I had to get used to the extra volume of motor sound in the cabin in contrast with the C2. 7th gear is a lot shorter so you cruise at higher rpms. After a few 1000 kms I don't really notice it anymore though.
+ wiggle your little toe and you're doing 200 kmh. 170-180 kmh feels like a relaxed cruise. The engine feels so torquey coming from a C2.
+ at low speed you hear all kinds of sexy racy noises coming from the rear, engine, gbox, diff. It's a manly, raw car, i like that.
+ Not really sounding like a manly man now, but I love the practicality of the rear view camera, VERY convenient in the absence of parking sensors
+ overtaking is effortless
+ storming up the Alpine passes is effortless
+ flexibele luggage stays in its place very well in the clubsport rollcage, much better than in the C2 !

- Said it before, I'll say it again. I need more adjustability in the steering column. I'm EITHER to far from the steering wheel, or EITHER with my knees against the column. VERY ANNOYING !
- Cannot go places undisturbed or unnoticed. Even with sport exhaust disabled I get angry looks and shaking fists at reasonable speeds. The car is loud.
- Porsche paint quality s*cks monkey *****. It was even worse this time round that with the C2 ! I took it to the detailer because it was horrendous to look at !
- RWS still has some misteries for me, SEEMS inconsistent, but it's probably me needing even more time to adjust and get used to. I just can't get over that floaty feeling I somtimes get from the rear when I think it engages. Might be me misinterpreting things offcourse.
- You can not "spontaneously" go somewhere, it takes planning, good parking space, high curbs, narrow entries, steep inclines, rain gutters, ...
- downshifts could sound more aggressive, some sound perfectly fine, some are meh, I can do that better with a MT

The rear is VERY sensitive in cold and wet weather ! Hahntenjoch ascent was almost a "spiritual experience" in the rain and cold temps with tyre pressures down to 1.9 bar. I felt so close to meeting my maker sometimes :-)

No buyers remorse on any of the option I did get or did not get.

IN CONCLUSION: Great car in the twisties, and I presume on track, TBC. On the road, for daily driving, it's perfectly fine, really comfortable for daily use (bar the "problems" associated with "planning"). But it's way to fast and capable for that. It's a real waste to use the car in those circumstances. It's like bring a scud missile to kill a mosquito. You just do not get your money's worth.
This is why I currently have a love hate relationship. I love it to bits in the twisties. I feel I'm wasting the car in the daily bland stuff.

EDIT: swearing in church now and not that I'd spec it, but a sunroof would be awesome so you could hear more of the engine while driving :-)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:29 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

Great write up, we haven’t seen many yet from non-journalists so thanks for the info. I’m picking mine up in exactly 1 week in Leipzig, I’m getting more excited then ever! The Cup 2 tires are simply awful in rain — nearly totaled my RS in an unexpected rain storm- so interesting to read—I thought AP said they had improved for the 991.2? As for the sounds and the rawness of the car, that’s what many like myself have been waiting for. Again thanks for taking the time for a detailed write up.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:32 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What fuel are you running? Mine kicks like a mule after 6k to 9k.. much more torque on the upper end..

I use it daily and 90% of my driving is to and from work but I don't feel bad.. its still an awesome car to putter around town in..

I feel like the car isn't as comfortable as you're saying.. the bucket is nice, but when you're going 120kmh you feel like you're going 120, unlike the gt4 or macan where you don't feel the speed..

I have the front axle lift so less worry when going on bad roads.. otherwise, I agree with you, its a fantastic car!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:26 AM
DIM4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write-up, looking forward seeing the car in rl
Old 09-29-2017, 08:05 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

great write up thanks!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:18 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Thanks for sharing.. Seems like your honest opinion.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Great write up! Thanks for posting
Old 09-29-2017, 10:49 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,737 Likes on 1,829 Posts

great write up!! thank you for taking the time - I just need to wait for my car now...tick tock
Old 09-29-2017, 11:00 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for the review! My god this wait is killing me.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Interesting and detailed observations. Much of what you describe is consistent with my experience with the .1 GT3, and I ended up selling it back to the dealer.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:16 AM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful review - 18 days until I can start my own review!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 AM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Little feedback up until now as I've mostly been out driving since I took delivery in August. Local break in runs, fun weekend outings in the Ardennes, vacation in the Austrian Alps. All amounts to nearly 5000 km on the clock. I'm not a good reviewer, nor do I like to write prose, so allow me to just share my thoughts in a non structured dump.

+ lots of torque compared to my 991C2
+/- engine shrieks to 9000 rpm like it is going to launch itself into the stratosphere. But I'm not quite sure what to think of it though. Everyone is raving. But I don't get the "wow that's f*cking fast" at the top end. To me the torque is more impressive when you overtake than when you just rev it out. I don't know, it just seems to take a long time to get to 9000 rpm without really giving extra oooomph. Might be just my buttometer that's not calibrated well though ;-)
+ PDK rules. The way it bangs in the gear, the pop in the exhaust, sounds sounds like a f*cking cup racecar to me, AWESOME. The aggression that goes with it sends chills down my spine. I'd sorely miss that in a MT car !
+ carbon folding bucket are very supportive, very comfortable, also for longer journeys
+ suspension comfort is perfectly fine, also for longer travels
+ in the beginning, I had to get used to the extra volume of motor sound in the cabin in contrast with the C2. 7th gear is a lot shorter so you cruise at higher rpms. After a few 1000 kms I don't really notice it anymore though.
+ wiggle your little toe and you're doing 200 kmh. 170-180 kmh feels like a relaxed cruise. The engine feels so torquey coming from a C2.
+ at low speed you hear all kinds of sexy racy noises coming from the rear, engine, gbox, diff. It's a manly, raw car, i like that.
+ Not really sounding like a manly man now, but I love the practicality of the rear view camera, VERY convenient in the absence of parking sensors
+ overtaking is effortless
+ storming up the Alpine passes is effortless
+ flexibele luggage stays in its place very well in the clubsport rollcage, much better than in the C2 !

- Said it before, I'll say it again. I need more adjustability in the steering column. I'm EITHER to far from the steering wheel, or EITHER with my knees against the column. VERY ANNOYING !
- Cannot go places undisturbed or unnoticed. Even with sport exhaust disabled I get angry looks and shaking fists at reasonable speeds. The car is loud.
- Porsche paint quality s*cks monkey *****. It was even worse this time round that with the C2 ! I took it to the detailer because it was horrendous to look at !
- RWS still has some misteries for me, SEEMS inconsistent, but it's probably me needing even more time to adjust and get used to. I just can't get over that floaty feeling I somtimes get from the rear when I think it engages. Might be me misinterpreting things offcourse.
- You can not "spontaneously" go somewhere, it takes planning, good parking space, high curbs, narrow entries, steep inclines, rain gutters, ...
- downshifts could sound more aggressive, some sound perfectly fine, some are meh, I can do that better with a MT

The rear is VERY sensitive in cold and wet weather ! Hahntenjoch ascent was almost a "spiritual experience" in the rain and cold temps with tyre pressures down to 1.9 bar. I felt so close to meeting my maker sometimes :-)

No buyers remorse on any of the option I did get or did not get.

IN CONCLUSION: Great car in the twisties, and I presume on track, TBC. On the road, for daily driving, it's perfectly fine, really comfortable for daily use (bar the "problems" associated with "planning"). But it's way to fast and capable for that. It's a real waste to use the car in those circumstances. It's like bring a scud missile to kill a mosquito. You just do not get your money's worth.
This is why I currently have a love hate relationship. I love it to bits in the twisties. I feel I'm wasting the car in the daily bland stuff.

EDIT: swearing in church now and not that I'd spec it, but a sunroof would be awesome so you could hear more of the engine while driving :-)
Shouldn't you post some photos along with this review?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Great write up, curious to see if others feel the same 6k-9k experience which is supposed to be drastically different than the previous motor...can't wait for some more reviews!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:36 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great feedback, thanks for sharing! Two questions:

- You do not seem to be happy with the paint finish. What colour do you have, uni or metallic? Where / how did the deficiencies show?
- Regarding adjustability of the steering column - could that problem be solved if you had chosen other (more adjustable) seats?

Best
Tobias
Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Thank you for the review. I gain so much more from owner experience write ups than from fruity magazine ones.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo