Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:33 PM
AlexG911
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"+ PDK rules. The way it bangs in the gear, the pop in the exhaust, sounds sounds like a f*cking cup racecar to me, AWESOME. The aggression that goes with it sends chills down my spine. I'd sorely miss that in a MT car !"

I definitely agree !!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Nice review. People complain that the GT4 gears being too long but I found that my 991.1 GT3 to 9000 felt just as long. In a nut shell, I never felt either were too long. The GT3 revs much quicker but has a longer way to go to redline. I love it. These cars are meant to be driven in the higher rev ranges. The GT4 needs to be driven above 5000 on and the GT3 above 6000.

Nice to hear about the torque. I found that was missing from the 991.1 in the lower ranges
Old 09-29-2017, 01:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by spydersmiley
- Regarding adjustability of the steering column - could that problem be solved if you had chosen other (more adjustable) seats?
My guess is that it works better for drivers who need to set the seat lower (I will keep my LWB's at the bottom of their travel).
Old 09-29-2017, 01:52 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

I totally know what you mean about the steering wheel needing to come back just a little more. Every 911 I've ever owned has this issue. My GT4 didn't. Gotta be a rear engine thing.

Thanks for the review.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

i'm really looking forward to a review and/or video from manual transmission users.. are there so few of us anoraks who ordered manual?
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
i'm really looking forward to a review and/or video from manual transmission users.. are there so few of us anoraks who ordered manual?
Another month or so to wait Alex. Drive mine when it gets here in November, or earlier!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Great review, thanks for being candid. I can't wait to develop my own thoughts on the car.

The gentleman who let me drive his 991.1 which in turn made me get the 991.2 complained he sometimes felt the car wasn't "alive" below 5K rpm. What do you think? Or anyone for that matter
Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

thanks for the review. Waiting.....so hard to do......!!!!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great review! Thanks for sharing. Definitely sounds like the .2 doesn't need a bypass center muffler since it already sounds awesome from the factory. What you guys think?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:46 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review. Thank you. Now I only need to get an allocation.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:53 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Icutyou
Great review, thanks for being candid. I can't wait to develop my own thoughts on the car.

The gentleman who let me drive his 991.1 which in turn made me get the 991.2 complained he sometimes felt the car wasn't "alive" below 5K rpm. What do you think? Or anyone for that matter
track oriented NA are deadly boring under 5k rpms

at least my .1GT3 was

that s why OP wrote that in DD .2 GT3 although comfortable is a waste of money (unless going to a track...)

i can confirm it was the same in .1GT3

Last edited by fxz; 09-30-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

All of the magazines reviews claim that the 991.2 is louder but is it just the engine that is louder or also the tire/road noise in the cabin?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bhgt2
What fuel are you running? Mine kicks like a mule after 6k to 9k..table as you're saying..
I'm running 98 RON fuel.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Interesting and detailed observations. Much of what you describe is consistent with my experience with the .1 GT3, and I ended up selling it back to the dealer.
Yes, I get that, I didn't expect this love-hate thing either. I'm not sure if I should take it to track to see if I fall unconditionally in love with it, or just keep it pristine and sell it. The hype in forums and journo reviews sets unrealistic expectations imo !

Originally Posted by spydersmiley
- You do not seem to be happy with the paint finish. What colour do you have, uni or metallic? Where / how did the deficiencies show?
- Regarding adjustability of the steering column - could that problem be solved if you had chosen other (more adjustable) seats?
- I have the Guards Red. Hard to describe the deficiencies as I'm not a native English speaker, but I'll try my best. It had tiny scratches on the roof about 5 sq cm, washing marks/scratches all over the rear bumper, half moon marks from bad polishing all over the front bumper. 2 rectangular 5 sq cm spots on the front bumper that were matte like they were rubbed with sanding paper. Left rocker panels has several places were things (dust particles?) got under the paint, so I have these 1mm spikes. Side note, my car was delayed for about a month for quality control, with no real explanation why.
Now the car is covered in xpel full front & rocker panels, plus modesta BC03 and BC05
- Problem can not be solved with other seats in my case. Other seats bring worse problems. The 918 buckets are too upright, leaving you with a very uncomfortable head position when wearing helmet and hans, plus they are too wide in the hip area and too tight in the shoulder area. The non bucket seats, which are incompatible with my clubsport pack anyway, don't allow for a hans and also push your head forward when wearing a helmet.

Originally Posted by Icutyou
The gentleman who let me drive his 991.1 which in turn made me get the 991.2 complained he sometimes felt the car wasn't "alive" below 5K rpm. What do you think?
I disagree. I love the engine and driving in the midrange in the twisties. You can cover ground very fast in the twisties like that, in a comfortable relaxed manner. The two flap inlet system really works imo ! But beware, my previous car that I'm comparing to was a .1 C2, not a .1 GT3.

Originally Posted by fxz
track oriented NA are deadly boring under 5k rpms, at least my .1GT3 was

that s why OP wrote that in DD .2 GT3 although comfortable is a waste of money (unless going to a track...)

i can confirm it was the same in .1GT3
Like previous, I disagree. Midrange is great imo. My initial feeling is it could use more topend rush, doesn't feel like it's revving freely enough, like it's holding back for some reason.

Without access to twisties or racetrack, you'll only use 25% of the car's capabilities. The in this forum so frowned upon base C2 is every bit as capable in the city and on the highway in traffic and daily driving conditions.

Just my subjective opinion, as always YMMV, and my opinion may even change over time ...
Old 09-30-2017, 09:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Bccars, try the seat angle adjusters for the LWB, I just ordered two and will order more for passenger seats on my cars... solves the incline issue with the head and helmet.

Sucks to hear about the paint issues.. I don’t think this is on all cars, or maybe I’ve never paid close enough attention?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
- Said it before, I'll say it again. I need more adjustability in the steering column. I'm EITHER to far from the steering wheel, or EITHER with my knees against the column. VERY ANNOYING !
This might be due to the folding buckets as they tend to sit a bit higher than the comfort or one piece buckets from my experience in each seat.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo