Sponsored by:

Can we ban "value threads"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Can we ban the never ending topics that are about the value of GT cars, depreciation, should I buy X car or Y car because I'm scared the value of X might drop more than Y, etc etc?

Can we create a separate sub forum on that stuff?

I've never been on a car forum so obsessed with value this value that.
Blame Porsche.

By deliberately and continuously not meeting demand, the GT models have become a place to park money for a low-cost or even profitable ownership/leasing experience. So of course it will be a primary topic of discussion.

The Porsche community was a better place when the company relied on sports car sales to stay in business. Now they are just halo products to sell high-margin SUVs and sedans.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
At some point, is this thread going to let me know how much ADM to pay for the 991.2 GT3? Otherwise I have to move on.
No, not this thread nor any will give you that answer, because there is not an answer. If you don't want to accept that, then the answer is ZERO $...Don't pay ADM, don't promote the practice. Also, only you know your finances, negotiation abilities, willingness & time allowance to research and call many dealers. You're asking an impossible question, and any answer you get, is by its very nature wrong, because there are so many variables.

Truth is, it's unlikely that you'll get a spot for a new GT3 this year or the next as most if not all dealers are way oversubscribed, some of them with few or no allocations even coming to them. If history is an indicator, people will patiently wait on their spot and the laggards like you may still be waiting when the next model is announced.

It's a giant fools errand, which is largely dependent at this point on only one factor, how many previous Porsche's have you purchased from the dealer you're hoping to get a GT3 from. That's the only rule of the game which is for sure, the rest are made up and changeable rules created by the dealers themselves, which is why no one can tell you how to play or win. Each dealer does what they want, and no promise or contract seems to be respected. Long time placeholders get bumped, contracts at MSRP get scratched. Newbies who lick the right ***** get a car..

now, if you want the car today, you don't know how to or care to negotiate, you don't want to ask every dealer in every flyover state for their love and drop deposits like snowflakes all over the country, then pay someone in LA $50k Over and you'll have your car by November like 918 VIP's. Or... just buy a different car without all this BS surrounding it and live happily ever after.

That's my honest and best advice. For your own and everyone else's sanity.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
No, not this thread nor any will give you that answer, because there is not an answer. If you don't want to accept that, then the answer is ZERO $...Don't pay ADM, don't promote the practice. Also, only you know your finances, negotiation abilities, willingness & time allowance to research and call many dealers. You're asking an impossible question, and any answer you get, is by its very nature wrong, because there are so many variables.

Truth is, it's unlikely that you'll get a spot for a new GT3 this year or the next as most if not all dealers are way oversubscribed, some of them with few or no allocations even coming to them. If history is an indicator, people will patiently wait on their spot and the laggards like you may still be waiting when the next model is announced.

It's a giant fools errand, which is largely dependent at this point on only one factor, how many previous Porsche's have you purchased from the dealer you're hoping to get a GT3 from. That's the only rule of the game which is for sure, the rest are made up and changeable rules created by the dealers themselves, which is why no one can tell you how to play or win. Each dealer does what they want, and no promise or contract seems to be respected. Long time placeholders get bumped, contracts at MSRP get scratched. Newbies who lick the right ***** get a car..

now, if you want the car today, you don't know how to or care to negotiate, you don't want to ask every dealer in every flyover state for their love and drop deposits like snowflakes all over the country, then pay someone in LA $50k Over and you'll have your car by November like 918 VIP's. Or... just buy a different car without all this BS surrounding it and live happily ever after.

That's my honest and best advice. For your own and everyone else's sanity.
That was a buzzkill.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A new subforum, absolutely. But we shouldn't ban the discussion of pricing.

GT cars are being used as money storing sculptures far more than they're being driven. That is a fact.

A new GT pricing subforum would make complete sense.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Once upon a time there were threads on camber, tire pressure and corner entry.

Now there are threads on value, back seats, backup cameras, which color thread, how much leather, which seats, which transmission, and on and on.

It's sad really. It's like all the gluten-free, non-GMO, soy latte, organic vegan hipsters have taken over.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Try moderating value opinions on any 911 much less a new model 911.

Answer is don't click on thread.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

This thread is stupid. Once you go down the censor road, there is no stopping it. What may be of interest to some may be of no interest to others.

As others have posted, if the heading doesn't interest you, don't open the thread. What's so difficult about that?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:29 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
This thread is stupid. Once you go down the censor road, there is no stopping it. What may be of interest to some may be of no interest to others.

As others have posted, if the heading doesn't interest you, don't open the thread. What's so difficult about that?
A BIG +1
Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
A BIG +1
And +2,

different people come to the site for different reasons. If you don't want to read a thread on this topic, just don't open that thread. It's that simple. If you want to see more threads about tire pressure , turn in points at VIR or whatever than maybe YOU should start those threads. I'll probably read those too.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We should just ban poor people.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

YES!

And anyone that is gender confused and voted for Bernie and drives a Prius.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
YES!

And anyone that is gender confused and voted for Bernie and drives a Prius.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

We used to come to a consensus on setup numbers for different tracks and setups, mods and other stuff.

We should have piles of threads about track insurance, botching about Porsche not providing ClubSport package in the US and the fact that they don't provide any info about how to setup an RS for the track..

Maybe a cars and coffee thread occasionally and maybe more people would drive cross country like Mjones.

The good old 997 days.
Anyone ever talk about stitching on a 997?
That chapter is slow as well because of the values!
Aaand, I'm back to talking about value.. ugh.

Can't wait for our cars to go back to losing 20% a year so we can just drive the crap out of them, dump and repeat. I miss it.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:57 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I personally like and have obviously participated in the OT off brand chats because it's impossible to not compare cars, for me at least.

I started the viper thread because i was pissed about games and decided to vote with my wallet another way to show guys that paying 70+ over was not the "only ticket to track fun"

Creating a subforum would be fine but some guys are here to meet other flippers so just put them together in that way.

Cannot ban threads but CALexio damn you and your naked bobbleheads. LOL
Old 07-29-2017, 07:48 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Once upon a time there were threads on camber, tire pressure and corner entry.

Now there are threads on value, back seats, backup cameras, which color thread, how much leather, which seats, which transmission, and on and on.

It's sad really. It's like all the gluten-free, non-GMO, soy latte, organic vegan hipsters have taken over.
This is it for me too. The problem is the whole GT line has become an alternate street car option as opposed to a track focused variant. There was a RL poll recently where (as I recall) less than 50% of people planned to track their incoming .2 GT3. Also many, many for sale threads claim no track miles.

It's sad - I find more track discussions in the forum for my M2 than here in the GT forum for my RS. How can that be?

Quick Reply: Can we ban "value threads"