Sponsored by:

Can we ban "value threads"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Maybe we should put a "Financial Advice" sticky on the forum?

...4) marry late, or don't marry

Etc
can you explain the financial implications of this particular decision… I'm all ears because I may or may not have a binary choice of the sort ahead of me sooner rather than later. Most of all, please the finance contextually with my ability to purchase multiple porches.. thank you.

Ps: please keep this private; just you me and the Internet
Old 08-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

It's impossible to avoid discussing value when 911Rs sell for $500K, 993s continue to appreciate, speculation is rife about the future value of Mezger-equipped 997.1TTs (6MTs), the future of the N/A engine is in doubt as Porsche mulls mothballing it in favor of turbo engines (if the GT3R and RSR go turbo to keep up with the 488 and Ford GTs on the circuits then watch out) and Porsche keeps the 6MT vs. PDK debate alive... Personally, I don't click every "What's my car worth?" thread, however divorcing the "value threads" from a Porsche discussion forum would be 'war-of-the-rosesque'!!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

[QUOTE=C.J. Ichiban;14365133]Maybe we should put a "Financial Advice" sticky on the forum?

3) if you have more than 3 cars in the garage and you have less than XXX,XXX in the bank you should be aware that carrying 10,000/ month in car payments is bad for you
meh, he financed poorly at high rate

4) marry late, or don't marry

Etc
let me show u the way.
marry early, marry well. make sure she makes more than you do. and do not sign anything that doesn't give you all of her assets upon divorce. so far, it's been good.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
marry early, marry well. make sure she makes more than you do. and do not sign anything that doesn't give you all of her assets upon divorce. so far, it's been good.
Bolded is the important part. "99% of your happiness or misery in life depends on who you marry"
Old 08-01-2017, 06:28 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Simple solution >>> moderators clean house and combine all the repeating threads.
This, the reality is with the 991.1 GT3, R & GT3RS it became a huge issue, when more than half of all recent limited run's are sat garaged on delivery mileage or were instantly flipped, it's a valid topic, but it'd be nice if duplicate threads were merged or deleted.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys, let's have a little more humility and less “I think I am better than you” attitude. This forum has been plagued by elitism and snobbery. That is the true reason for the downfall, IMHO.

Let me give you an example. For the last 4 months, any newbie that has posted on this forum has been crucified. Everyone looks for a reason to criticize. Why? Why don't you guys try to welcome, help and educate the newbies vs. make sure they know that your are better than them. After all, all of us have been there.

If we let go of the vanity, all these “value threads” will stop becoming offensive and annoying. You can easily ignore them.

Hey, who am I to speak, I am a newbie myself. And sorry for the rant. I still have hope for all of us.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Mooty always gets to the meat of the coconut. Ha
I follow it to the tee now. Never again support a sinking ship of a forum thanks to buy out by Internet brands. Made great friends prior to Internet Brands buyout. Now it's impersonal place to be. Mike
Old 08-02-2017, 01:52 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Gago

I lurked on this forum for years and my first experience was on 993 forum. Plenty of people got told to Read the F Manual. Aka RTFM.

people are sensitive now. People are lazy.

A lot of us know each other in real life by now- I have bought some cars off RL, etc. One of the guys in my wedding party I met off RL, we started doing track days together in our 997's.

Anyway- you want to be taken seriously you can also have option of taking the advice seriously. Most of us are a little fatigued by the misconception that the easy money policy has brought to the table...guys that think they can basically be car dealers- flipping all their cars and perpetuating an elitist culture of "ownership" vs "drivership"

Mooty and I are acquaintances because of RL. He posts about bikes. I don't ride anymore due to people getting hit where I live. I stay away from bike threads. But we both drive our cars.

That is, in fact- my advice for all n00bs.

Use Rennlist to meet people that share your Porsche interest. Go drive. Or go meet for photoshoots. Or bacon waffles. But that is why I signed up- to meet other porsche people, and to READ and LEARN from the more experienced dudes!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ YES
Old 08-02-2017, 02:25 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Holy Batman - what became of this new UI on Rennlist? Oh, right, value threads:

Edit: Scratch that! What I meant to say is if you're gambling in the stock market, buy low and sell high.

Last edited by WernerE; 08-02-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:31 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Gago

I lurked on this forum for years and my first experience was on 993 forum. Plenty of people got told to Read the F Manual. Aka RTFM.

people are sensitive now. People are lazy.

A lot of us know each other in real life by now- I have bought some cars off RL, etc. One of the guys in my wedding party I met off RL, we started doing track days together in our 997's.

Anyway- you want to be taken seriously you can also have option of taking the advice seriously. Most of us are a little fatigued by the misconception that the easy money policy has brought to the table...guys that think they can basically be car dealers- flipping all their cars and perpetuating an elitist culture of "ownership" vs "drivership"

Mooty and I are acquaintances because of RL. He posts about bikes. I don't ride anymore due to people getting hit where I live. I stay away from bike threads. But we both drive our cars.

That is, in fact- my advice for all n00bs.

Use Rennlist to meet people that share your Porsche interest. Go drive. Or go meet for photoshoots. Or bacon waffles. But that is why I signed up- to meet other porsche people, and to READ and LEARN from the more experienced dudes!
Dear C.J.
Your post and Mooty's response amuse me and bring a smile to my face. Brother, I do not need RL to meet new people, friends, or marry right. We are rich with our true friends. People talk about friendship on RL, but will give each other up in a second when a real need comes to suck dicccc.. You don't have a clue... no disrespect!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:04 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry but your knee jerk reaction to my post proves my point exactly.

Value threads are directly proportional to the misappropriation of focus onto/into the purpose of a GT3RS as a consumer.

Initiators of such value threads are infectious to the joy of driving the cars and have scabbed up the landscape of our enthusiastic purpose for wanting these cars. We want to pretend to be racers, we want to carve canyons. Or at least we should.

I'm not saying you are poor, or unworthy or anything of the sort.

I am saying that I bought all my GT3 and GT3RS to DRIVE AND ENJOY, it just so happens that a lot of other drivers and enjoyers reside virtually on here. And we have been driving and enjoying and residing and posting dog pics to torpedo threads since the 996's debut.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Name:  photo651.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  95.5 KB
Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
Holy Batman - what became of this new UI on Rennlist? Ok, here's some financial advice: Buy AAPL and these value threads can invoke a Cheshire grin.
Do not buy anything; make friends! Money is a temporary vice.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:25 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Sorry but your knee jerk reaction to my post proves my point exactly.

Value threads are directly proportional to the misappropriation of focus onto/into the purpose of a GT3RS as a consumer.

Initiators of such value threads are infectious to the joy of driving the cars and have scabbed up the landscape of our enthusiastic purpose for wanting these cars. We want to pretend to be racers, we want to carve canyons. Or at least we should.

I'm not saying you are poor, or unworthy or anything of the sort.

I am saying that I bought all my GT3 and GT3RS to DRIVE AND ENJOY, it just so happens that a lot of other drivers and enjoyers reside virtually on here. And we have been driving and enjoying and residing and posting dog pics to torpedo threads since the 996's debut.
I may have been unclear. I do not in any way support these "value threads." I only disapprove of the elitism that I've seen here.

Quick Reply: Can we ban "value threads"