Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we ban "value threads"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:47 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

As stated above, just don't click the thread if you don't like the topic. I don't understand why guys with no obvious bad intent get flamed just for raising a question about value or daring to compare one GT car to another. None of us own this forum so as long as we follow its rules we should be free to post what the hell we like.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Catmagog
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
As stated above, just don't click the thread if you don't like the topic. I don't understand why guys with no obvious bad intent get flamed just for raising a question about value or daring to compare one GT car to another. None of us own this forum so as long as we follow its rules we should be free to post what the hell we like.
So true - but plenty sycophant's on this site unfortunately
Old 07-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Many forums just have a value and sale sub section.. then moderators can move topics/comments. ..even other Porsche forums heaven forbid!

But to be fair I also think its related to the fact that over last recent years, its been harder to get a GT car what ever the price, dealers charing way over, advent of more flippers etc. By default value discussion etc comes with that territory. So I don't see the point in bagging out someone for it. Just move on to next topic...

Interesting that the two "pinned" topics is on PTS (who ever needed PTS to track) and Concerned 991.1 owners (which after the safety issue, relates to the fact these cars have lost value given the faulty engine etc)..
Old 07-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Just don't read them?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ Then you will only need 2 min. per day on RL.... what u plan to do with the rest of your time huh? work???? LMAO
Old 07-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ Then you will only need 2 min. per day on RL.... what u plan to do with the rest of your time huh? work???? LMAO
Old 07-30-2017, 01:08 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Mooty always gets to the meat of the coconut. Ha
Old 07-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

These are toys that people lust after, and they're expensive, so many will stretch financially to get one. Hence concerns about prices and depreciation - it comes with the territory. Not everyone is wealthy enough to not care about those things; plus, many who are wealthy enough got that way by caring about those things, so now it's a habit. Pretty much all of us are irrational in some ways when it comes to money, so I'm not quick to throw stones ...
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
The above demonstrates a level of snobbery that may qualify you to move on to a Ferrari or Bugatti.

OP is right, though, too much talk about market for GT Porsches and not enough about driving them.

Speaking of the latter, any Porsche GT3 RLers in Oahu, Hawaii? Visiting this week (for the first time since being a Porsche GT car owner) and thinking about moving here someday. But now I'm remembering that despite the beautiful coastal scenery, one virtually never cracks 60mph here except for on the H1/H2/H3 interstates that one can't call driver's roads. So, where does one go to enjoy driving a Porsche GT car here?

You can't except for some quick H3/Pali blasts. Big island is the place to go. They have autocross occasionally, but there is not a track anymore.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
These are toys that people lust after, and they're expensive, so many will stretch financially to get one. Hence concerns about prices and depreciation - it comes with the territory. Not everyone is wealthy enough to not care about those things; plus, many who are wealthy enough got that way by caring about those things, so now it's a habit. Pretty much all of us are irrational in some ways when it comes to money, so I'm not quick to throw stones ...
Bingo.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

I'd rather have certain posters banned than certain topics be off-limits.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:28 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Old 07-31-2017, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
i totally "get" your point.
however, if that is the case, it's much better to get an accord and put that left over money to work for you. then in a few years you will not have to worry about the depn as much. sure, if the car increase in price, great. who would refuse that. but essentially this equate to dining at 3 michelin star restaurant and debating 10% or 20% tip. there are plenty of great food for less money and many good cars for less,.

buying one luxury item then be concerned with saving money seems to be putting the horse buggy ahead of the horse? that is just my own personal opinion of course.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

i totally "get" your point.
however, if that is the case, it's much better to get an accord and put that left over money to work for you. then in a few years you will not have to worry about the depn as much. sure, if the car increase in price, great. who would refuse that. but essentially this equate to dining at 3 michelin star restaurant and debating 10% or 20% tip. there are plenty of great food for less money and many good cars for less,.

buying one luxury item then be concerned with saving money seems to be putting the horse buggy ahead of the horse? that is just my own personal opinion of course.
Totally agreed. I've always lived well within my means - less stress and more fun that way. Lots of ways to enjoy life without Porsche GT cars.

I'm just saying that I understand that these cars cause many (other) people to stretch to buy them, hence all the financial discussion on RL.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Maybe we should put a "Financial Advice" sticky on the forum?

1) if you cannot afford a new RS, you cannot afford a new RS. That's ok. Save up and invest in yourself. Get a 997 GT3, a Boxster Spyder, etc for 50% of the price and 97% of the enjoyment.
2) spend the $3000-5000 and do some racing schools before tracking your RS that you can barely afford
3) if you have more than 3 cars in the garage and you have less than XXX,XXX in the bank you should be aware that carrying 10,000/ month in car payments is bad for you
4) marry late, or don't marry

Etc

Quick Reply: Can we ban "value threads"