Sponsored by:

Picture of your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 01:33 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Nice go-kart (M2cs). Haven’t followed the pricing on them. Are you able to get a discount?
Thanks! Excited to welcome her alongside the 1///M - which in some ways she is the spiritual successor to.

Sadly prices on these are pretty firm reflecting both low supply (originally only 466 were slotted for production for the US, later on increased with a batch of an additional 96, so 562 in total), and strong demand. Production just ended (12/31), and orders were frozen months ago, so at this stage every car has been built. In CA - as we have come to expect a - few dealers peddle them for over MSRP, but rest of the country they are pretty much at full MSRP. I've heard of a few ppl claim they got a nominal discount (1K-2K max) but more or less they are at list.

Would be interesting to see how they fair through Spring as there will likely be a few held by dealers. Price increase over M2C is significant (which to me indicates how good of a value the base car is), but I wouldn't expect a big decrease (if any) as we had seen on the F80/2 M3/4 CS given the delta vs the M3/4 Competition on those cars was nominal. Plus they were all DCT which took away a big buyer base. And an MSRP well into 6-digits for that car didn't help either.

Evo magazine just crowned the M2CS COTY against some serious competition and exotics, and since many (myself included) are not digging the new BMW design language and direction towards massive weight increases on M cars, this can potentially go down as one of the last 'good ol' ///Ms".
The following users liked this post:
007DT (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:13 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

I'm convinced that the M2CS will be the swan song for the M division.

Great pick up! Even better color.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kmy
Such great cars. How do you like yours? This splits DD duties with the turbo S.

I'm digging it so far. Great daily. What did you do to lower your car?
Old 01-05-2021, 05:24 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by br911; 01-05-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrsteve
I'm convinced that the M2CS will be the swan song for the M division.

Great pick up! Even better color.
Thanks for the complements - really excited and totally agree on the ///M swan song. Nothing in the current or upcoming BMW portfolio even mildly intrigues me, and I say that as a multi-decade long brand ambassador and loyalist.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Nice go-kart (M2cs). Haven’t followed the pricing on them. Are you able to get a discount?
It is regional, was considering one recently and offered a minor discount.

That Misano Blue is amazing and agree on this being one of the last great M division drivers cars. Great purchase, I am sure I will be kicking myself for passing on one.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:05 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
I'm digging it so far. Great daily. What did you do to lower your car?
CETE module for the air suspension. Works great!
Old 01-05-2021, 08:16 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

ok i couldn't resist...if we are talking the M brand, which ive been fond of for over 20 years (and currently own 3 M cars all pictured now in this thread), i will beg to differ on what the all time best are...i believe my 06 ZCP ILB car above is one of the greatest car/motor combos BMW has made...that car has the M branded alcantara, and just shy of 50k miles...it does everything right

the best ever to me is my 13 LRP M3...only 200, this is 1 of 50 with the 6 speed manual...stripper car, only satellite radio and heated seats as options, 6k miles...one of my top 5 cars ever to drive, the last great NA motor M will ever make...a car that i just adore, and frankly has no comparison, i guess thats why they are so coveted

my 2020 M5 Comp is a great DD, love it very much, brutal power, but for a driver's car, the above 2 are the best...only one missing is my E39 M5...had one, let it go, still looking for the right replacement...may not find it w/ current pricing on them (and having bought too many cars recently!)

while the M2 and its variants are great, M1 as well, they dont compare to the 2 M cars shown above, but thats my humble opinion having owned most of them

none of the current M2/3/4 cars compare to these IMO having driven them, owned them, and traded them

i love your new car above, dont get me wrong, but just felt i'd share my 2 cents and over 20 years of M cars, and the only 2 that have stayed

Last edited by handdoc; 01-06-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:12 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by kmy
Just arrived.

your dd is 800hp and goes 205mph and costs 250k lol?

man i need to figure my life i'm losing at this

nice dd!
The following users liked this post:
msos (05-22-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:13 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Thanks! Excited to welcome her alongside the 1///M - which in some ways she is the spiritual successor to.

Sadly prices on these are pretty firm reflecting both low supply (originally only 466 were slotted for production for the US, later on increased with a batch of an additional 96, so 562 in total), and strong demand. Production just ended (12/31), and orders were frozen months ago, so at this stage every car has been built. In CA - as we have come to expect a - few dealers peddle them for over MSRP, but rest of the country they are pretty much at full MSRP. I've heard of a few ppl claim they got a nominal discount (1K-2K max) but more or less they are at list.

Would be interesting to see how they fair through Spring as there will likely be a few held by dealers. Price increase over M2C is significant (which to me indicates how good of a value the base car is), but I wouldn't expect a big decrease (if any) as we had seen on the F80/2 M3/4 CS given the delta vs the M3/4 Competition on those cars was nominal. Plus they were all DCT which took away a big buyer base. And an MSRP well into 6-digits for that car didn't help either.

Evo magazine just crowned the M2CS COTY against some serious competition and exotics, and since many (myself included) are not digging the new BMW design language and direction towards massive weight increases on M cars, this can potentially go down as one of the last 'good ol' ///Ms".
Did the rest of the world get a 6spd option for the CS and America simply didn't?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burren
Did the rest of the world get a 6spd option for the CS and America simply didn't?
All M3 CS / M4 CS were DCT-only. No manuals were ever offered, neither in the US nor ROW.

The M2 CS on the other hand gives you a transmission choice.
Originally Posted by handdoc
ok i couldn't resist...if we are talking the M brand, which ive been fond of for over 20 years (and currently own 3 M cars all pictured now in this thread), i will beg to differ on what the all time best are...i believe my 06 ZCP ILB car above is one of the greatest car/motor combos BMW has made...that car has the M branded alcantara, and just shy of 50k miles...it does everything right

the best ever to me is my 13 LRP M3...only 200, this is 1 of 50 with the 6 speed manual...stripper car, only satellite radio and heated seats as options, 6k miles...one of my top 5 cars ever to drive, the last great NA motor M will ever make...a car that i just adore, and frankly has no comparison, i guess thats why they are so coveted

my 2020 M%5 Comp is a great DD, love it very much, brutal power, but for a driver's car, the above 2 are the best...only one missing is my E39 M5...had one, let it go, still looking for the right replacement...may not find it w/ current pricing on them (and having bought too many cars recently!)

while the M2 and its variants are great, M1 as well, they dont compare to the 2 M cars shown above, but thats my humble opinion having owned most of them

none of the current M2/3/4 cars compare to these IMO having driven them, owned them, and traded them

i love your new car above, dont get me wrong, but just felt i'd share my 2 cents and over 20 years of M cars, and the only 2 that have stayed
Great stable! ^^^ And I hear you - and largely agree. I've been chipping away at owning each gen of the M3, some I have doubled down on, others I will completely skip (certainly the current G80, and probably the E36 unless I land a Euro BRG M3 GT version, as the LTW is IMO gone beyond the realm of reasonable for what it is - the US-only non-M engine kills it for me). I jumped on the F80 train largely because I got one of the 42 6-spd 30 Yahre editions, and have a Macao Blue E30 M3 which this car pays tribute to, so I felt it was a combo that had to be paired, otherwise likely would have skipped the platform. Chris Harris named it the best M3 ever, which raises a lot of eye brows for sure, but I have come to appreciate it for what it is, probably more so after the reveal of the new G80.

Similar to you, I'd put the E46 and E9x up there. Ended up getting a B7 RS4 (which I still have) during the E9x lifecycle which in many ways is the last of its era/kind (high strung NA V-8, manual, AWD) and they too have come to be appreciated over time (CJ might chime in as he has accumulated a few, and is bidding on one on BAT as I type LOL). On the long-dated dream list are the E46 M3 CSL and M3 GTS / CRT, but by the time they are federalizable values would likely have become stratospheric.

Similarly to you, I did let go of my E39 M5 - which I regret, and looking to get back in the game. Likely going to look for a well kept Dinan S2, but there are pretty rare, and command (justifiably) a good penny!

Enjoy those 2 beauties ^^^ in good health! If it ever comes time to part with the LR, you know who to PM
Old 01-06-2021, 01:15 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I've just sold my M5 Comp - that has been my daily driver. Great car, everything well done and no issues in almost 2 years of commute. Beautiful Donnington Grey with awesome ceramic brakes (gold colored). Tarragon leather. Everything was great, but for a limited time. After a while, the car did not give me the same feel that I had when I got it. Never owned Bimmer before and wanted to have an M5.There is too much torque and too much weight to enjoy anywhere beyond daily traffic. And, in traffic, torque doesn't o anything for me. I tried to take it to the canyons once, but apart form the great blurb when the exhaust valve was open, that was not as fun as I expected. Also, I ended up using 10% of al electronics the car offers. There is just too much going on. I am glad I ticked the M box, and I truly enjoyed the car, but time to move on.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:12 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
All M3 CS / M4 CS were DCT-only. No manuals were ever offered, neither in the US nor ROW.

The M2 CS on the other hand gives you a transmission choice.
Great stable! ^^^ And I hear you - and largely agree. I've been chipping away at owning each gen of the M3, some I have doubled down on, others I will completely skip (certainly the current G80, and probably the E36 unless I land a Euro BRG M3 GT version, as the LTW is IMO gone beyond the realm of reasonable for what it is - the US-only non-M engine kills it for me). I jumped on the F80 train largely because I got one of the 42 6-spd 30 Yahre editions, and have a Macao Blue E30 M3 which this car pays tribute to, so I felt it was a combo that had to be paired, otherwise likely would have skipped the platform. Chris Harris named it the best M3 ever, which raises a lot of eye brows for sure, but I have come to appreciate it for what it is, probably more so after the reveal of the new G80.

Similar to you, I'd put the E46 and E9x up there. Ended up getting a B7 RS4 (which I still have) during the E9x lifecycle which in many ways is the last of its era/kind (high strung NA V-8, manual, AWD) and they too have come to be appreciated over time (CJ might chime in as he has accumulated a few, and is bidding on one on BAT as I type LOL). On the long-dated dream list are the E46 M3 CSL and M3 GTS / CRT, but by the time they are federalizable values would likely have become stratospheric.

Similarly to you, I did let go of my E39 M5 - which I regret, and looking to get back in the game. Likely going to look for a well kept Dinan S2, but there are pretty rare, and command (justifiably) a good penny!

Enjoy those 2 beauties ^^^ in good health! If it ever comes time to part with the LR, you know who to PM

i had a b7 rs4, as well as an rs5 (with dual clutch)...the cars felt kind sterile to me after a while...like my e60 m5 did...just didn't do anything for me...could be that i'm more prone to like the M brand, idk

none the less, great first world problems here!

Last edited by handdoc; 01-06-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by br911
I've just sold my M5 Comp - that has been my daily driver. Great car, everything well done and no issues in almost 2 years of commute. Beautiful Donnington Grey with awesome ceramic brakes (gold colored). Tarragon leather. Everything was great, but for a limited time. After a while, the car did not give me the same feel that I had when I got it. Never owned Bimmer before and wanted to have an M5.There is too much torque and too much weight to enjoy anywhere beyond daily traffic. And, in traffic, torque doesn't o anything for me. I tried to take it to the canyons once, but apart form the great blurb when the exhaust valve was open, that was not as fun as I expected. Also, I ended up using 10% of al electronics the car offers. There is just too much going on. I am glad I ticked the M box, and I truly enjoyed the car, but time to move on.
i understand completely, my e60 m5 i felt the same, very sterile, and while i changed the exhaust to make it sound good (V10), it only lasted a year

i really like my new one, could be i haven't had a DD in a while i really liked regularly...no canyons here in new england, just bumpy old roads!

i'm not looking for it to be a sports car, just a fun comfy powerful DD, and so far its checking those boxes

i agree on the electronics!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
I daily a '19 DG M5 and I agree with most of what you say. In the canyons it's crazy good for such a big heavy car, but it is WORK and not fun or rewarding at all. It's just not a sports car and the wacky understeer reducing steering set up just makes it even harder than it needs to be. What it is is an exceptional highway mile eating freight train and, in comfort mode, a comfortable roomy sedan for four adults. I consider my M5 what you would get if you told a bunch of German engineers to build a Dodge Charger Hellcat. A big HP sedan, just with more refinement and tech. Similar to how my '15 RS5 felt like a German built Z28.

Quick Reply: Picture of your daily driver?