Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:05 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My prediction is that BHR will have wished it stroked a $250k check the day it happened and all would have been done with.

Good luck to the OP.

Eddie
Old 03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
AlD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing thread, horrible situation for all involved and kudos to the OP for his balance and self control...

A few comments to toss in:

1) I'm not an insurance agent nor am I in Kansas City, but all of our "expensive" cars have Agreed Value insurance. Getting any "diminished value" claim paid out is a chore that usually starts with a conflict and ends with a fight. Agreed Value means just that....agreed value. In our case, we've indexed it to the actual market value or replacement value....which for 2 of the cars is a multiple of the MSRP right now. Our policy provides coverage of up to 150% of the agreed value. more expensive of course, but.... Unsure what insurance the OP has, or the shop, but the diminished value claim always seems to get into the "very hard" range

2) I've had this happen to me, though in our case it was an accident - a real, honest, "**** happens" accident. Our dealer was stellar, we were made both whole and happy in the end. It does suck.

3) On the "fixability" of the car....I'm not a 991 repair expert OR anyone who has seen the long list of repair parts on this tab. Airbag deployments always add a multiple to the damage - they are expensive, as is the trim they blow through! Having said that, I've had cars that were missing most of the front end beyond the firewall that were fixed perfectly. Does the car have a story? absolutely. Lower value? you bet. No judgment on the OP's car, but I'd imagine the "total" threshold is higher than $75K unless there is a safety or repairability issue.

3) Last, a good friend is one of the best techs in his field, he's a guy we trust to fix our cars, drive our cars (and, honestly, I'd trust him driving my kids). He works on some real guided missiles, and we've helped him do some performance driving programs. He drives like an old lady normally....(a very alert old lady perhaps). Unfortunately, he had an accident - a real accident - in a pricey car. Hit some gravel, older tires, bang. Full data download, video...he was driving, so he was responsible, but he wasn't doing anything "wrong". It was traumatic. In the case of the OP's car, certainly sounds like there was some "wrong" underway...
Old 03-06-2017, 03:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Also - This is why I love my hardwired Dashcam
Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Also - This is why I love my hardwired Dashcam
This is why I do almost all my own work. Period.

I owned a 2010 ZR1, had the front end vibration issue with unbalanced rotors. Before GM figured out it was a simple balance issue they would send a field rep out to inspect, drive the car and authorize replacement rotors. The shop manager described watching the field engineer tear out onto the highway in my brand new car - this was warranty work at a major Chevrolet dealer, I can only imagine what some of our toys are subjected to at smaller indy shops.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

To the OP, I am very sorry to have heard about this and the damage to your once beautiful Porsche.

I own an auto enhancement shop in Texas, we do all types of clear bra, tint, detailing and such and we deal with everyday driver mini-vans to high end machines such as yours.

We have cars dropped off with us for days to get stuff done and we fear moving them from one area of the shop to another because crap can and will go wrong! Never would we joy ride a customers cars though because that's no longer an "accident". It's rather the mindset of, "What could go wrong? That stuff happens to other people!"

I hate picking cars up from our customers homes because I never want to have to make THAT phone call to them.

Lastly, this goes on sadly, a great deal. We hear about shops and dealers doing this with customers cars and we just can't believe why any business owner would take that risk? So we always take before pics of customers cars and write down mileage. Make sure, Rennlist people, your shop of choice does the same.

Anthony
Old 03-06-2017, 04:23 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
To the OP, I am very sorry to have heard about this and the damage to your once beautiful Porsche.

I own an auto enhancement shop in Texas, we do all types of clear bra, tint, detailing and such and we deal with everyday driver mini-vans to high end machines such as yours.

We have cars dropped off with us for days to get stuff done and we fear moving them from one area of the shop to another because crap can and will go wrong! Never would we joy ride a customers cars though because that's no longer an "accident". It's rather the mindset of, "What could go wrong? That stuff happens to other people!"

I hate picking cars up from our customers homes because I never want to have to make THAT phone call to them.

Lastly, this goes on sadly, a great deal. We hear about shops and dealers doing this with customers cars and we just can't believe why any business owner would take that risk? So we always take before pics of customers cars and write down mileage. Make sure, Rennlist people, your shop of choice does the same.

Anthony
That is what gets me. It is easy to understand why some employee does something stupid like this since they don't have any skin in the game. The owner is ultimately the one responsible and should know the consequences are significantly higher for him. This of course does not excuse an employee from acting out on their temptations.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by i am a TRAITOR
That is what gets me. It is easy to understand why some employee does something stupid like this since they don't have any skin in the game. The owner is ultimately the one responsible and should know the consequences are significantly higher for him. This of course does not excuse an employee from acting out on their temptations.
Yep, the logical thought would agree with you yet we see it happen a lot. In fact one guy in town here would not only drive his customers cars, claiming I was told they were his, but he would let OTHER people drive their cars! He wanted to impress people I guess. Fast forward, he is out of business.

Anthony
Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
This is why I do almost all my own work. Period. Ryan
I am with you. I enjoy it anyways.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:44 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am with you. I enjoy it anyways.
+1. And a reason I justified my lift purchase
Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Agree with sentiment on lift.

Great looking car Saabin.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
I really need a lift.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
^I wonder why Luis is not wearing his black/red shop uniform. Maybe he changed into a clean shirt if his shop shirt was too dirty.
Looks like he doesn't work there anymore. Just along for a joyride.

Name:  photo775.jpg
Views: 3124
Size:  225.6 KB
Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow. Makes me glad I use RennsportKC as my indy. Just inexcusable. Too bad because BHR had a great reputation here. I suspect the next few months are going to be tough for BHR to weather as word travels fast here.

Here at the auto museum, we sweat it when we have to push a car around in the museum to reposition it.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:20 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Looks like he doesn't work there anymore. Just along for a joyride.
A lot of times Facebook will say "worked" for places people are still working at. Seen it on friends pages before.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Wow. Makes me glad I use RennsportKC as my indy. Just inexcusable. Too bad because BHR had a great reputation here. I suspect the next few months are going to be tough for BHR to weather as word travels fast here.

Here at the auto museum, we sweat it when we have to push a car around in the museum to reposition it.
BHR is now probably the safest place in the world to leave your car.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop