Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You are comparing a 300K car with one that costs 4 times more if you bought it at MSRP...
At its time the Porsche 918 Spyder spanked the McLaren P1 everywhere and anywhere. I'm not a Porsche fanboy nor a McLaren hater...let's just call it like it is...that's all...
Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Some truth in that but surely the Senna would beat pretty much anything anywhere.
Actually no truth really, the street version of the 720 on regular tires will beat the 2RS on certain tracks.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You are comparing a 300K car with one that costs 4 times more if you bought it at MSRP...
At its time the Porsche 918 Spyder spanked the McLaren P1 everywhere and anywhere. I'm not a Porsche fanboy nor a McLaren hater...let's just call it like it is...that's all...
Exactly. Similar with Laferrari. Only one of many examples of Mclarens/Ferraris not doing as well as expected based on their self reported power and weight.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM
360MVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Saru385
i don't really care too much about Ring times, but it would be interesting to see what the current crop of McLarens can do there.
would also like to see some McLaren times when running wider tires.

And GT2 RS vs Senna may not quite be like bringing a knife to a gun fight, but would have been pretty shocking if Senna didn't win.
Same driver, tires and conditions and if Mac cares to optimize the 720 for the Ring it will do just fine against the 2RS. When I say optimize, I mean the proper suspension setting vs. just switching to track. Porsche and Lambo really do a good job of prepping their cars for these runs. Heck the SVJ is slow as molasses and ran a pretty strong time after being "setup". All of these cars are fast enough and it really doesn't make any difference to 99% of the people here because you/we can't handle the power at the edge anyways.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 PM
360MVA
Racer

Originally Posted by Drifting
Exactly. Similar with Laferrari. Only one of many examples of Mclarens/Ferraris not doing as well as expected based on their self reported power and weight.
Ferrari is well known for inflating specs, Mclaren and Porsche seem to do the opposite.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

The reason that Porsche (and Lambo to some extent with the Huracan Performante) cares and exceeds at 'Ring times is because it builds its cars with the goal of 'Ring times as major component of the final end-product.

Nothing wrong with that. Just don't assume the 'Ring times are some sort of fortuitous happenstance.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by 360MVA
Ferrari is well known for inflating specs, Mclaren and Porsche seem to do the opposite.
ferrari doesn’t do as well as their self reported specs because they lie their asses off.

mclarens don’t do as well in objective measured comparisons with other cars on track (based on the weight/hp of the Mclaren) for reasons I don’t fully understand. More complex variables of suspension, handling, weight ratios etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the power and lightness of Mclaren, but they don't seem to perform to what you would expect for their lightness/power, though they are still impressive cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-25-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:44 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
did you ever get an answer/update on this? that for sure is a huge buzzkill lol
I am ~1000mi in w/ 600LT and randomly the car just ... won't start. Then it suddenly will. Car will go into startup routine (tach animation does it's thing) but engine doesn't do anything. The transport guy mentioned he's had the same issue a number of times. One time I had to press harder on the brake (*really* hard, I was giving it a good press to begin with). One time I think I was holding the start/stop too long. Another time I am not sure what I did. Now, every time I get in I find myself praying it'll start on first try. Not a great feeling.

But there is definitely something weird going on. Transport guy's comment (he does lots of McLaren biz) leads me to believe this is more of a common issue, not a specific problem with any one car. @obbob issue was either something else or a coincidence? @obbob what was the code you had to clear?

@C.J. Ichiban any thoughts on this?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Oh, to be fair and balanced while I love the 600LT (it's really awesome) there is other dumb stuff like the start engine prayer and dance.

The McLaren Track Telemetry video package (3 cameras + data) is *garbage*. I mean, the quality of the video must be a joke (forgive the dead bug):

I mean, at best we're talking 480p. Maybe something less???

Last edited by ILLCOMM; 04-25-2019 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:50 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The reason that Porsche (and Lambo to some extent with the Huracan Performante) cares and exceeds at 'Ring times is because it builds its cars with the goal of 'Ring times as major component of the final end-product.

Nothing wrong with that. Just don't assume the 'Ring times are some sort of fortuitous happenstance.
this.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
I am ~1000mi in w/ 600LT and randomly the car just ... won't start. Then it suddenly will. Car will go into startup routine (tach animation does it's thing) but engine doesn't do anything. The transport guy mentioned he's had the same issue a number of times. One time I had to press harder on the brake (*really* hard, I was giving it a good press to begin with). One time I think I was holding the start/stop too long. Another time I am not sure what I did. Now, every time I get in I find myself praying it'll start on first try. Not a great feeling.

But there is definitely something weird going on. Transport guy's comment (he does lots of McLaren biz) leads me to believe this is more of a common issue, not a specific problem with any one car. @obbob issue was either something else or a coincidence? @obbob what was the code you had to clear?

I know with my 720 I have to push hard on the brake to make it start. Especially when the car was new. Now with close to 2000 miles on the car it doesn’t require as hard of a push.

One time I pressed the button and it didn’t start and I just let off the brake and tried again it started up just fine. I chalked it up to user error on my part for pushing the starter button prior to pressing the brakes.

Either way I hope you get it figured out.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 AM
seals9121
AutoX

Originally Posted by Drifting
mclaren and Ferrari care, but they don’t like that their cars that cost twice as much as Porsche GT car, are still slower on the Ring.

Ferrari doesn’t want their lies to be exposed, and Mclaren can’t explain why their cars are slower than other cars with a worse power to weight ratio.
I know this is a Porsche place and I don't want to upset you. They are not twice as faster, but they are not slower in the right hand, in fact Gt3 is not that fast at all at super car track day, the top time is no longer own by porsche owner. usually modified corvette, especially the new z06, or Mclaren, in fact most of the local tracks at so cal, they are 5 or more second faster.
Gt3 is really fast at its price.

for example 2012 12c did 1:50 at buttonwillow CW13 configuration. GT3 at most did 154 by professional driver. Good track day driver did around 1:56. and mclaren 12c is actually much cheaper. So under estimate super car by it's ring time it's very unfair.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM

i don’t know the exact code, but the guy who cleared it said it’s common. It’s a code where the computer thinks there’s something putting the engine at risk, so it prevents a startup to protect the engine. Apparently it is often entirely unjustified.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:13 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes my 720s will start with a light touch, other times it has to be pushed in for a while when it feels like it has to think about it. It also won’t start when I get a “key not found in vehicle” when I’m holding the key fob in front of me. I was told not to leave the key in the car and to lock it in the garage on or off the CTEK, I guess to let it sleep and not be on standby. Some occasional quirks but it will start.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:33 PM
seals9121
AutoX

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Sometimes my 720s will start with a light touch, other times it has to be pushed in for a while when it feels like it has to think about it. It also won’t start when I get a “key not found in vehicle” when I’m holding the key fob in front of me. I was told not to leave the key in the car and to lock it in the garage on or off the CTEK, I guess to let it sleep and not be on standby. Some occasional quirks but it will start.
yes , for p14 platform you really need to hold the key around the cup holder to make it easier. for 720s I never had that problem so far. I drove it daily .

Quick Reply: McLaren Success