Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Don't think there is any persuading but that is besides the point.

Everyone wants to know what caused it. Did something come loose? Not good for broad mclarenizing. Did it get driven in race mode on public roads and run over a newspaper or leaves which caught fire due to sparking of lower body? Did they just come from a gas station and spill gas 918 bbq style? Nobody knows anything yet and we are all guessing and have been guessing this whole time.
Wekerle, took it like a prize fighter..
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

For personal reasons, and also as an enthusiast, I have no interest in disparaging an exciting and groundbreaking company which is always scratching at the bleeding edge of what is possible. However, knowing a few Senna owners who have had some pretty interesting QC issues, as well as the documented electric glitches many of their others cars have had in past.. I hope that this is an area they focus on more. The model-line is fantastic, the driving experience is sublime with the best steering feel of any brand, almost the best shifting (after Porsche), and by far the best chassis tech.. but there is maybe something in the QC processes which needs to be ironed out in order for them to be the unquestioned leaders. All of the above is just drama and intrigue which keeps forums chatting, but maybe taken in aggregate it's a signal to leadership to turn the bleeding edge down 1/2 a notch, and focus on the boring stuff.. like, reliability.

Only thing i wonder about the salomondrin flambé though, Was the car in race mode? Based on texts above seems like salmon likes to use it.. wouldn't work on the street and would indeed scrap and spark on regular roads? just wondering if that's a possibility.

Last edited by CAlexio; 01-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^Dropping knowledge.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Seems most fires occur at track where high temps and combustibles sometimes mix. On street fires are unusual especially with an 11 day old car. I would think the pdi on that car was pretty thorough.

If Rear spoiler was all the way up during BBQ someone was playing F1 racecar driver on the street. Likely sparks ignited some spilled fuel...my guess.

I just can’t watch these “ Hey look at me” overpaid Youtubers many of whom have more money than brains, sense or talent playing to a young YouTuber audience who are still bagging groceries at the supermarket and still making payments on their used Honda.

Last edited by Waxer; 01-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:38 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

I just don't understand how someone who lost what he supposedly says his "Best" car and swears his a$$ off and makes fun of the car that just burned. Is that called "Karma." He didn't look too upset about his Senna burning.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
His main website. The video where they show his Senna burning. Scroll down and the one with fire. you're going to need to log in first though if you have an account.
https://salomondrin.com
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Interesting commentary about the Senna which I did not know. So if you are in race mode, then and only then the rear wing is up? And when in race mode, the car is lowered and can spark? On my 488, you can be in race mode and as far as I know it does nothing with regards to raising or lowering the car. If that is the case and race mode is not recommended on the road in the Senna, then I think Salomandorin is in a world of hurt.

I dont think he would intentionally set fire but when you are a media and attention *****, you do things to push the limits to create content people will watch and a million dollar hypercar burning down is the result of that.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I am incredibly surprised that McLaren is not investigating this situation.- if that is truly the case.

Does not look good for McLaren Owners'.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am incredibly surprised that McLaren is not investigating this situation.- if that is truly the case.

Does not look good for McLaren Owners'.
We dont know that they arent investigating......
Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Interesting commentary about the Senna which I did not know. So if you are in race mode, then and only then the rear wing is up? And when in race mode, the car is lowered and can spark? On my 488, you can be in race mode and as far as I know it does nothing with regards to raising or lowering the car. If that is the case and race mode is not recommended on the road in the Senna, then I think Salomandorin is in a world of hurt.

I dont think he would intentionally set fire but when you are a media and attention *****, you do things to push the limits to create content people will watch and a million dollar hypercar burning down is the result of that.

Why would race mode on a 488 have anything in common with race mode on a mclaren? Let's not confuse things unnecessarily..

rear wing on Senna is always at same height, just changes angle of attack.. hard to tell as everything is melted but it looked like it could have been up... suspension on Ferrari 488 have nothing in common... Ferrari uses magnetorehological dampers which stiffen a bit.. Mclaren ultimate series car completely change ride height.. if you try to drive an ultimate series car like P1 or Senna in Race mode.. you will damage the car... (when we did P1 va Senna video) we played with Race mode momentarily, got out to take one look under the car and quickly turned it off... you couldn't fit a credit card under the car.)

I don't want to "spark" any speculation, just wanted to not let a small bit of technical confusion "conflate" an already "fiery" situation...
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Not sure about the Senna, but a P1 physically is not driveable on the street.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Why would race mode on a 488 have anything in common with race mode on a mclaren? .

It doesnt other than the fact both have a "race mode" I was just using that as a reference.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

It doesnt other than the fact both have a "race mode" I was just using that as a reference.
the ride height drops 50mm on senna when in race mode.

the ride height on P1 drops 30mm when in race mode.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the ride height drops 50mm on senna when in race mode.

the ride height on P1 drops 30mm when in race mode.
so is the working hypothesis that he put it in race mode on the street? The car scraped, sparks fly and car catches on fire?

does the manual or Mclaren strictly prohibit putting car in race mode on the street? If so- Salomandorin might be out of luck.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Lenin was wrong. The highest stage of capitalism isn't imperialism, it's making money by being an obnoxious douche on YouTube.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

so is the working hypothesis that he put it in race mode on the street? The car scraped, sparks fly and car catches on fire?

does the manual or Mclaren strictly prohibit putting car in race mode on the street? If so- Salomandorin might be out of luck.
I'm just saying I'd never do it, won't ever do i, but think there could be real consequences. there is a disclaimer on the dash/ infotainment so you acknowledge

"Yes this is just for parking at a car show" or
"I'm only doing this on a racing circuit and understand it makes the car illegal"

Quick Reply: McLaren Success