Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately, more of hype and NO records broken nor attained. The 991.2 GT3RS is still tops!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:

NO Nurburgring Record Run for AMG GT R Pro

LINK:

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Old 12-06-2018, 04:18 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

^

What tyres was the GT R Pro on during the run? I can almost guarantee that they weren’t the SC2 ‘R’ that the GT3 RS was running.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Valid point. However the "Hype" was so high on this AMG GT R Pro that it will be much BETTER.

I am confident if they were sporting same tires, the 991.2 GT3RS will still win, probably not by that much time ahead but will still win.

The AMG GTR was beat on factory tires with the former 991.1 GT3RS.
LINK:

So we await the "Black Series" and hope they really pack a punch.

Drive safe,
GT3RTS-Fan1

Originally Posted by thebishman
^

What tyres was the GT R Pro on during the run? I can almost guarantee that they weren’t the SC2 ‘R’ that the GT3 RS was running.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
They can just keep turning up the boost, until it wins. There is a lot of headroom in that motor. RS is pretty near its ceiling...

Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Valid point. However the "Hype" was so high on this AMG GT R Pro that it will be much BETTER.

I am confident if they were sporting same tires, the 991.2 GT3RS will still win, probably not by that much time ahead but will still win.

The AMG GTR was beat on factory tires with the former 991.1 GT3RS.
LINK:
AMG GTR / 991.1 GT3RS / BMW M4 GTS

Drive safe,
GT3RTS-Fan1
i think you have to take into consideration that the day the GTR Pro ran, it was terrible. It was very cold and the light was bad. My guess is they will do another run in the spring and get much closer.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963

i think you have to take into consideration that the day the GTR Pro ran, it was terrible. It was very cold and the light was bad. My guess is they will do another run in the spring and get much closer.
I run my plain old ‘18 GT R on track with the R03 option tyre which is the Michelin SC2 ZP tyre as found on the C7 Z06/7. My car is much faster with the ZP tyre then it is with the OEM SC2. I can only imagine what it would be like with the ‘R’ tyre. As the ‘Pro’ is more track oriented, there is no doubt that it would be far quicker in optimal conditions, and running a tyre equivalent to the ‘R’.

Bish
Old 01-02-2019, 09:56 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to show you how ceramic brakes look like after two visits on track. Rear brake sensor has failed so rear pads melted and badly damaged rotors. Boots and seals in calipers melted. Fronts does not look much better... Shields cracked due high temparature and also damaged rotors. Car does not have ventilation for brakes plus material is not durable enough and this what happens with them. Sensors are from A class etc. very simple and cheap ones. Even for BMW Ms are much better made. I'm not first who has issue with brakes. Same situation happened to at least two gtrs i know. I saw on my own eyes on track when it happened. Guy used same brake pads as i did. I hired an independed well respected expert and he has shown that brake sensors are not adequate to this model and temparatures are too high for them. Not only for sensors. Brakes are not designed properly for this car.

Funny thing is that Mercedes AMG recommends to use black series brake pads from SLS or SL for track use. Of course i changded pads to black series one right after brake procedure. I knew that brakes are not the strongest part of AMG GT so i was doing only 2-3 fast laps then 2 cooling and drive to pit to save brakes etc. Yet brakes has failured only after maybe 10-12 laps. Mercedes refuses to change my brakes with warranty, cause they say that car was used on track Can you believe it ? First Mercedes advertised as a track tool, as a GT3 rival. Every brochure, every Mercedes web page shows this car in track habitat Even it has track package as an option... Ceramic brakes are advertised as for track use. I was driving Porsche cars, M cars on tracks and have never ever had problems with brakes like that, not to mention if something was broken not a single problem with warranty. I know some of you own one, so be aware. Stock pads are good only for two laps then same situation happens. Rear sensor does not show any signs of wear and you notice that brakes are finished when you do not have brake power to stop the car. It can be dangerous.

See pics.

See pics.

Last edited by MegaLoL; 01-02-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

^ Thanks for posting!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^^Holy moly.. those are destroyed!
-I hope they somehow make this right for you...Mercedes FTL!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

That is nuts
Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Very interesting ... I have now been at the AMG Driving Academy for three courses (2 Rd Atlanta, 1 Laguna) where the cars are beaten on all day and I have never seen that happen to any of their GT-Rs.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
^^Holy moly.. those are destroyed!
-I hope they somehow make this right for you...Mercedes FTL!
X2 WOW
Old 01-02-2019, 11:07 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Very interesting ... I have now been at the AMG Driving Academy for three courses (2 Rd Atlanta, 1 Laguna) where the cars are beaten on all day and I have never seen that happen to any of their GT-Rs.
Maybe they don't use regular Mercedes pads. Pagids more likely.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:09 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

WOW ! That is Horrible, Terrible, and Unacceptable ! So they flat out LIED if they say it can be used at the track and "is" a track car. ROTFLMAO. Your ceramic brakes is enough proof of its vulnerability to issues and problems.

Here's my $0.02. I have owned several Mercedes Benz cars, and three AMGs. They are very good good cars to the point of "able" to be used at the track. But IMO none of them (maybe except for the Black Series) is made "For The Track", unlike our Porsche GT* cars.

"Porsche, there is no substitute."

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by MegaLoL
I would like to show you how ceramic brakes looks like after two visits on track. Rear brake sensor has failed so rear pads melted and badly damaged rotors. Boots and seals in calipers melted. Fronts does not look much better... Shields cracked due high temparature and also damaged rotors. Car does not have ventilation for brakes plus material is not durable enough and this what happens with them. Sensors are from A class etc. very simple and cheap ones. Even for BMW Ms are much better made. I'm not first who has issue with brakes. Same situation happened to at least two gtrs i know. I saw on my own eyes on track when it happened. Guy used same brake pads as i did. I hired an independed well respected expert and he has shown that brake sensors are not adequate to this model and temparatures are too high for them. Not only for sensors. Brakes are not designed properly for this car.

Funny thing is that Mercedes AMG recommends to use black series brake pads from SLS or SL for track use. Of course i changded pads to black series one right after brake procedure. I knew that brakes are not the strongest part of AMG GT so i was doing only 2-3 fast laps then 2 cooling and drive to pit to save brakes etc. Yet brakes has failured only after maybe 10-12 laps. Mercedes refuses to change my brakes with warranty, cause they say that car was used on track Can you believe it ? First Mercedes advertised as a track tool, as a GT3 rival. Every brochure, every Mercedes web page shows this car in track habitat Even it has track package as an option... Ceramic brakes are advertised as for track use. I was driving Porsche cars, M cars on tracks and have never ever had problems with brakes like that, not to mention if something was broken not a single problem with warranty. I know some of you own one, so be aware. Stock pads are good only for two laps then same situation happens. Rear sensor does not show any signs of wear and you notice that brakes are finished when you do not have brake power to stop the car. It can be dangerous.

See pics.

See pics.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a friend that has a AMG GTR that tracks it. He has steel rotors now but have to have custom brake cooling done and it melt brakes like crazy. Same as OP, melted rear brakes off the car...parking brake fell off at a DE.

I considered a AMG GTR but after looking into the car and actually knowing someone with one...I stayed with Porsche and got my GT3. Porsche isn't perfect but for track use and reliability in a car with this speed in it...Porsche - There Is No Substitute

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R