Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911R Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

"Better" as with beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:40 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The new "R" is certainly a great car and in years to come will be extremely valuable

But it is a dull looking car. Give me that engine and a Manual in a GT3 and that is what I desire. No- do not want a soft clutch ect... the GT4 has the best Manual, PERIOD, for me from what I have heard about the R.

I am excited they made the "R" because it will all trickle down and up and for those 918 Owners who want a low-key beast they got what they wanted.
Jimmy-D,

Agree with you. GT4's shifter feels superior to R's. And the aero doesn't looks as in your face as in RS.

For sure next GT3 will be offered with R's manual gearbox as an option. Now if Porsche will also offer wing delete, there's going to be a lot of upset people who bought 911R for a wrong reason. But as a 911R owner I welcome it. I can then buy an inconspicuous GT3 a s a daily driver
The following users liked this post:
Jason Zhang (03-31-2021)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Just can't let it go, can you? Why read this thread if it irks you so much? Why not go for a drive in the RS instead?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:04 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't want an R and still don't. No interest in one. See I don't sht on other peoples threads unless there's something in there shting on what I own then call BS when I see it. If the forum is so lame help yourself out.
"no interest .. never wanted .."

Yet you've expended a good bit of time and written more words than the OP in this and other R threads to make darn sure we all know how little you care and "correcting" others views with ridiculous semantic exercises. You have posted on dozens of threads, anywhere the R is mentioned, with the same attitude like a broken record.

Interesting way to show your disinterest and happiness with your RS.

Not the behavior of someone that is satisfied with what they have. More like the insecure behavior of someone that is frustrated.

Most sad for you is that your approach is likely to ensure only one thing: that you never do get a drive in an R so that you would know in real life what it's like and the differences with the RS. Your view will remain the armchair one and uninformed by reality, thus mostly useless.

If it quacks like a duck ...

Last edited by superquant; 10-14-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
For sure next GT3 will be offered with R's manual gearbox as an option. Now if Porsche will also offer wing delete, there's going to be a lot of upset people who bought 911R for a wrong reason. But as a 911R owner I welcome it. I can then buy an inconspicuous GT3 a s a daily driver
Next GT3 won't be an R and I doubt R owners will be in the least bit bothered by next GT3 whatever it ends up being. And in U.S. most will have first dibs and just add to collection.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:00 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Just can't let it go, can you? Why read this thread if it irks you so much? Why not go for a drive in the RS instead?
As an R owner my pointing out the obvious irked you? Define your "better" and I'll define mine. Likely won't be the same.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Annnnd, we're back...
Old 10-15-2016, 02:35 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by superquant
"no interest .. never wanted .."

Yet you've expended a good bit of time and written more words than the OP in this and other R threads to make darn sure we all know how little you care and "correcting" others views with ridiculous semantic exercises. You have posted on dozens of threads, anywhere the R is mentioned, with the same attitude like a broken record.

Interesting way to show your disinterest and happiness with your RS.

Not the behavior of someone that is satisfied with what they have. More like the insecure behavior of someone that is frustrated.

Most sad for you is that your approach is likely to ensure only one thing: that you never do get a drive in an R so that you would know in real life what it's like and the differences with the RS. Your view will remain the armchair one and uninformed by reality, thus mostly useless.

If it quacks like a duck ...
So your a psychologist and an automotive expert and you know what ive driven?

So enlighten me how the R is objectively "better". I'm not talking about a specific driving or performance characteristic or better to you or the "owners who tout it as such... I'm talking about "better" period across the board to all for all which is how it was meant. Better means, well..better.

I like the R, neat piece. But when owners start saying it's "better" as objective fact thats the problem as "better" is a relative term. You don't necessarily need a drive in both depending on your parameters, do you?

You and the other politically correct followers and owners will just have to accept reality. The R isn't "better" to everyone.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:46 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Imho, it is better not to worry why one's better is no better than my better. Regardless if the R is better (than whatever) or not, it is nice that the OP and others share their impressions of a car that most of us will not be able to get. Birkin bags may not be better than other bags, but the mere fact that one lady can have it, and most cannot, makes it better to some. I haven't visited a ladies bag forum, but I suspect I could find the same type of discussion there.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:27 AM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 84 Posts

Rickman,
I drove them back to back this week. Aside from realizing how lucky I am to experience it my impression in short is this - after 100 miles I realized R is a better car than 997 4.0. After 200 I wished R had a 9974.0 engine
Other than that I second BusDriver in all he said. His impressions and feelings are spot on. Took me a while to realize why the car blips the throttle on upshifts. R is just a much better car than 991RS in everything except lap times (but not lap enjoyment).
very interesting and that's what I presumed.

I'll know know soon except difficult to compare low mileage engine (R) with the consistant mileage of my mezger 4.0
Old 10-15-2016, 04:46 AM
Awdnut
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Annnnd, we're back...
Ran out of laxatives . . . again
Old 10-15-2016, 05:28 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

There will be a lot frustrated RS/R owners within a couple of years. Those that buy these cars with the intent of making money! When things don't turn out the way you plan, some gets frustarated. Even someone's wife's gets frustrated.

These cars are amazing unnessary toys that are to be considered worthless. Treat it that way and they are fun and nobody gets frustrated.

You can trash talk a mans wife, god save you if you say something bad about his car.

These cars are all the best. Just pick the one you like and go drive.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:25 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

So your a psychologist and an automotive expert and you know what ive driven?

So enlighten me how the R is objectively "better". I'm not talking about a specific driving or performance characteristic or better to you or the "owners who tout it as such... I'm talking about "better" period across the board to all for all which is how it was meant. Better means, well..better.

I like the R, neat piece. But when owners start saying it's "better" as objective fact thats the problem as "better" is a relative term. You don't necessarily need a drive in both depending on your parameters, do you?

You and the other politically correct followers and owners will just have to accept reality. The R isn't "better" to everyone.
I have not formed any opinion on what car is better as I have not driven an R. Im guessing it won't be that clear. The only quantitative measure we can likely agree it's superior to the RS on is weight.

I enjoy the driving impressions from others and I simply noticed you systematically engaging in tearing down the car wherever it's mentioned and IMO that has lowered the level of the conversation in this and other threads. And now I'm doing the same by continuing this dialog which is neither constructive nor respectful to the OP. I will refrain from further automotive psychiatry.

Gotta move on and drive some cars today .. get out there and rip!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So, which is the best color then?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, which is the best color then?
I have 2 questions too :

1) What is the best oil to use for the R?
2) What is the best method to break in the car?

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions