Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

As the owner of the birch green TTS with racing yellow stitching - I am pretty sure that is racing yellow stitching - I stare at it every day 😎
Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by farfromcommonGT3
I've been emboldened by Eduardo and Daniel and an Exclusive beast has been unleashed! Haha. But seriously, I am debating changing my 16 GT3 tourist delivery spec which is GT Silver / black w LWB to *** today to see what the piping will look like! I've officially gone off the reservation. Or maybe it was when I spec'd a 174,750 msrp STANDARD GT3. Toss up!

C
LOL, happy to take "credit" for your awesome, off-the-charts builds!! Much easier this way versus spending my own money!!

Come to think about it, I wonder how much the VW debacle had to do with the introduction of these latest high-priced options. Maybe the board has been tasked with taking advantage of new income streams, even if it means breaking with tradition (customized, colourful, optionable interiors on Motorsport cars?--sacrilege!).

Moreover, seeing as how popular PTS is, Porsche is probably realizing how much demand there is for "special" options even within the once utilitarian Motorsports division. Since the RS is now more compliant for road driving than ever, and so expensive, and appeals to a new discerning market segment looking for a unique car, it's hardly any wonder PAG is giving customers more of these options. I think it's smart to offer greater customization, and it takes nothing away from more traditional "purists" who may still want nothing more than a bare-bones build and can still order their cars that way. The 918 led the way, with customers spending small fortunes on custom paintwork ("hippie" 918s, etc) and being all but assured of being able to recoup those costs on the secondary market with a handsome profit (unlike in the past with many other cars, where the more you optioned a car, the greater your loss at resale). I think this is the natural evolution of the direction in which the RS is also moving. You can't blame Porsche for broadening the appeal of these incredible machines and maximizing profits for their shareholders. And customers (and dealerships) are also reaping big financial rewards. Seems like a win-win. I'm glad Porsche is listening to its customers (whether it's CXX options or MT or back-to-basics cars like the 911R (hopefully)), and to guys and gals like us who are so passionate about these cars we love.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:41 AM
Inspirine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poofyo101
No UV
I have got a UV for April 16 built after they denied me Miami Blue.
My dealer asked specifically of confirmation from Porsche and got an email confirmation that UV was still available until end of production.
I saw that email a few weeks back.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Attached is the 5/12/2015 approved list. I have in my possession a later July 2015 version with just a few updates...but PAG has decided that they want this list kept 'Confidential' from now on {my emphasis}. I am trying to get the OK to publish it here on Rennlist, but don't have the clearance yet!
Eduardo, I just noticed your post in the GT4 forum. IMO this is a pretty big deal, no? Why would Porsche want to withhold this information on PTS approved colours from its customers? PTS has grown immensely popular precisely because we are now able to identify colours that appeal to us while bypassing the usual months long approval process. And this is absolutely critical for buyers of GT cars, where interest in PTS has probably peaked the fastest, and where the window of opportunity is fleeting.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't reported more widely on this turn of events and also that you're not actively circumventing efforts to suppress this information. Or maybe I just missed that whole conversation.

Any idea on the motivation behind this policy? When was this change conveyed to you?

Please let us know what you think this means for the future of how PTS will operate.

Thanks again for all your help with PTS, and I'm hoping you can break through to PAG on behalf of those of us who really appreciate the incredible option that PTS is. And here's hoping you are able to do what you've always attempted to do--that is, keep the lines of communication between us and them open and transparent.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by vtr80
Birch green?

If the 991.2 RS comes out and my dealer honors my slip which says I have the first (and thus guaranteed) allocation, I will seriously consider this color when the time comes.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Yes, it' a pretty big deal...in a negative way!

Let me respond using comments in 'RED':

Originally Posted by Less than3mph
Eduardo, I just noticed your post in the GT4 forum.

This is what Daniel is talking about:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9022...-sample-5.html

IMO this is a pretty big deal, no? Why would Porsche want to withhold this information on PTS approved
colours from its customers? PTS has grown immensely popular precisely because we are now able to identify
colours that appeal to us while bypassing the usual months long approval process. And this is absolutely
critical for buyers of GT cars, where interest in PTS has probably peaked the fastest, and where the window
of opportunity is fleeting.

Yes, it's unfortunate. And could signified a decidedly turn in direction for PTS at Porsche. It's a warning
aimed squarely at what we are trying to do here at Rennlist with an information campaigned that started
back in July of 2012. Here is what I set to do and announced it on my first post of each thread:

"This thread's purpose is to shed some light into the sometimes opaque world of 'Porsche Exclusive'.
And to disseminate some of information I have gained from past Porsche ordering experiences and
current research into custom ordering a 991...I hope this thread lifts the veil on some of the custom
ordering process at Porsche and helps some of you achieve the perfect 991 spec! I am not affiliated
with PAG, PCNA or any dealer, so all of this is being done is the spirit of 'Liebe Zu Ihm'.
"

And these threads have grown in interest beyond belief. For example, the 'custom ordering' thread
on the 991 forum has now over 279K views:

The one at the 981 forum has over 89K views:

This one, which is not even a 'Sticky', has over 110K views!

And what these figures don't show are the nearly 1700 private messages and countless emails I have
received & answered regarding PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive' options via Rennlist!

So it's hard to make the case that we have not moved the needle on PTS! We have made a big impact.
There has been a decisive movement/shift in orders for Paint to Sample since we started explaining to
the Porsche enthusiast community how Paint to Sample works and emphasize/highlight the beautiful,
out-of-the-ordinary colors available to them via this option on their custom Porsches.

Any idea on the motivation behind this policy? When was this change conveyed to you?

It was conveyed to me via verbal & emails reports I got back from Porsche customers in Europe this
last summer. It was confirmed when I received the last approved PTS list dated July 2015 with the
large print 'For Internal Use Only - Confidential' in early September.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't reported more widely on this turn of events and also that you're
not actively circumventing efforts to suppress this information. Or maybe I just missed that whole
conversation.

No, I have not drawn attention to it in any big way because I am trying to convince PAG, privately via
my direct contacts at PCNA & PAG, to reverse that policy which categorized the PTS list as 'Confidential'.
That decision, in my opinion, is counter-productive. The interest in PTS is real & substantial. PAG can
quantify the numbers of customers that have asked for PTS in MY2012, MY2013, MY2014, MY2015 and
MY2016...and they can see the handwriting on the wall! It's up, up & up. And they also know they have
denied a good portion of these requests due to logistical & physical limitations in the number of PTS they
are prepared to do each year. So no only they are missing on the opportunity to cash in on PTS to its full
potential, but PAG's inability to meet PTS demand is also creating frustration & resentment among their
most enthusiastic & ready-to-spend money affluent customers! That, in the long run, is not a recipe for
success. And I am quietly trying them to reverse course.

Please let us know what you think this means for the future of how PTS will operate.

Not good if they stubbornly stick to their guns and keep the approved PTS list confidential from now on.
Because the PTS window is currently closed for what is left of MY2016 (or so it appears unless they allow
it on these recent last-minute gt4 & RS allocations), I thought I had a bit of time to fight the battle in
private with PCNA & PAG. But the PTS window on MY2017 will open shortly. And if we follow PAG's
directives as they stand today, we will not be privy to future PTS approved list information unless folks
in the know violate PAG's wishes. Given the role I have chosen to take as a conduit for information on
PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive', that has indeed put me on a difficult spot.

Thanks again for all your help with PTS, and I'm hoping you can break through to PAG on behalf of
those of us who really appreciate the incredible option that PTS is. And here's hoping you are able
to do what you've always attempted to do--that is, keep the lines of communication between us
and them open and transparent.

Thank you Daniel for the well wishes. I'll need them. I have communicated to the appropriate executives
at Porsche in the US and Germany my desire for more, not less, transparency of information on how PTS
works at PAG. And I think those feelings mirror the views of Rennlisters I know here. Hopefully, Porsche
will let me know soon how PAG wants to handle PTS going forward. It will be either with optimism & a
commitment to devote more resources to try to satisfy their client's basic PTS demands. Or they will try
to go backwards, to how PTS was run previously in the 996 & 997 era, with opaqueness, smoke, mirrors
& veils !

Let's hope they choose the former...but ultimately it's their company & they will run it as they see fit.
Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

I suspect that one reason for Porsche's reluctance to be more 'transparent' is their attitude toward PTS. In the recent past - 3 years ago - PTS cars were very limited, there was no 'approved' list, and ordering a car PTS was difficult and oblique. In this way, Porsche was able to maintain the 'exclusive' aspect of program. I think Porsche Exclusives began in 1986 in Germany and I believe it was Sasha who convinced Porsche to open an Exclusives department in the US, with initially only him in California and later Melissa on the East Coast. Most dealers were relatively unaware of what was possible. My sense it was based on the Special Wishes (Sonderwunsche) department at the factory which began in the early 1950s and pretty much served the Porsche family, Near Eastern collectors and friends of the factory. These rare cars were VERY special with modified bodywork, outrageous interiors, etc. Costs of the modifications often exceeded $100k. My instinct is that Porsche is not particularly interested in significantly expanding their Exclusives department - rather it is something of a 'halo' operation. My other instinct is that Porsche loses money on every PTS car - the costs of testing, changing all the paint systems for a (very) few cars, not to mention the all too time consuming process of ordering a Porsche Exclusives car. Many people spend inordinate time NOT ordering a car. Having ordered two PTS cars in unique colors and with lengthy Exclusives options, I am enormously respectful and appreciative of what is a hugely time consuming process for Porsche. And after reading the Forbes article, I was reminded of the inordinate difficulty of convincing vendors to provide unique versions of parts for only a few cars. Finally, 'Exclusives' becomes an oxymoron when it becomes common. How many are aware that Mercedes offers Paint to Sample, for example?

Last edited by Steven_H; 11-11-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:19 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm so done with PTS.

And it makes me very sad to say this.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

If the GT3RS pictured is Birch Green, what color is the Cayman - Gelb Grun? Is it even an OEM color?

Name:  22268116534_6bdec079a3_b_a6321b9f47fc2e2f209a6fbe059820f343228d65_zps7zucfsty.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  Porsche_Cayman_zps8h2wyj2t.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  163.6 KB
Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If I had to guess, that Cayman is a lime green 3M wrap. But also looks very enhanced afterwards.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
I suspect that one reason for Porsche's reluctance to be more 'transparent' is their attitude toward PTS. In the recent past - 3 years ago - PTS cars were very limited, there was no 'approved' list, and ordering a car PTS was difficult and oblique. In this way, Porsche was able to maintain the 'exclusive' aspect of program. I think Porsche Exclusives began in 1986 in Germany and I believe it was Sasha who convinced Porsche to open an Exclusives department in the US, with initially only him in California and later Melissa on the East Coast. Most dealers were relatively unaware of what was possible. My sense it was based on the Special Wishes (Sonderwunsche) department at the factory which began in the early 1950s and pretty much served the Porsche family, Near Eastern collectors and friends of the factory. These rare cars were VERY special with modified bodywork, outrageous interiors, etc. Costs of the modifications often exceeded $100k. My instinct is that Porsche is not particularly interested in significantly expanding their Exclusives department - rather it is something of a 'halo' operation. My other instinct is that Porsche loses money on every PTS car - the costs of testing, changing all the paint systems for a (very) few cars, not to mention the all too time consuming process of ordering a Porsche Exclusives car. Many people spend inordinate time NOT ordering a car. Having ordered two PTS cars in unique colors and with lengthy Exclusives options, I am hugely respectful and appreciative of what is a hugely time consuming process for Porsche. And after reading the Forbes article, I was reminded of the inordinate difficulty of convincing vendors to provide unique versions of parts for only a few cars. Finally, 'Exclusives' becomes an oxymoron when it becomes common. How many are aware that Mercedes offers Paint to Sample, for example?
I agree 100%... Though it's not what everyone wants to hear.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:29 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTEBecause the PTS window is currently closed for what is left of MY2016 (or so it appears unless they allow
it on these recent last-minute gt4 & RS allocations)][/QUOTE]

I have a late allocation for an RS in Vancouver BC...was told that PTS was not possible.

Do you think there is a small chance that might change. How would I know and how late can I change my color choice once I submit my order?

Should I keep bugging my dealer? I would love to do a PTS
Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
I have a late allocation for an RS in Vancouver BC...was told that PTS was not possible.

Do you think there is a small chance that might change. How would I know and how late can I change my color choice once I submit my order?

Should I keep bugging my dealer? I would love to do a PTS
Assuming they have an actual allocation, they should be able to ask now if PTS will be possible and also provide a date past which changes cannot be made.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:20 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Batmanm3, sadly I don't think pts will happen. No harm in asking once in a while, and keep an eye on these forums since info often is posted here as early as anyone knows.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:24 AM
fivetwozero
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PTS black arrived at dealer
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS