Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Interesting read.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:43 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Excited to have ST rotors installed next week. Big thanks to John and Gavin at AutoQuest for their help with the purchase. Really looking forward to testing them out. Can't get the pics to load.
Our pleasure David, thanks for the business and we look forward to hearing your thoughts as you put them through their paces : )
Old 09-07-2019, 09:57 AM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Intermediate
Brand new/991.2 GT3RS w/o Weissach
After the first track day at NJMP Lightning, I noticed weaker initial bite than before the track day. They way the rotor looked after the track event got me a little worried, however, when I washed the car the next day, brakes went back to the way it were before the event.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:22 AM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The wear marks you are looking at are actually just the surface appearance with pad material transferred to the rotor.
I had the exact thought and fear and after driving on the street for 25 miles the shine and smooth surface returns.
I am unsure what the resistance wear numbers are like after one track day but I would bet they are still normal.

surface transforms relieves all of this anxiety as your original rotors are in a box on the shelf.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

The case for Surface Transforms was strong back in the 996/997 era coz the OEM ceramics would fall apart after a handful of track days.

But with the latest gen 991 (soon to be 992) rotors I'm not sure if it still pays to deal with aftermarket rotors. The hassle of different sized calipers, pads and looks aren't appealing at all for the minute performance gain in a track day application.

I could see a breakeven point at around 20-25 well-driven track events. If the OEM PCCBs can last that long, just stick with them and replace with OEM items when they eventually fail.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (11-21-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:34 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
The case for Surface Transforms was strong back in the 996/997 era coz the OEM ceramics would fall apart after a handful of track days.

But with the latest gen 991 (soon to be 992) rotors I'm not sure if it still pays to deal with aftermarket rotors. The hassle of different sized calipers, pads and looks aren't appealing at all for the minute performance gain in a track day application.

I could see a breakeven point at around 20-25 well-driven track events. If the OEM PCCBs can last that long, just stick with them and replace with OEM items when they eventually fail.
the ST rotors are plug and play with the stock calipers. Still makes sense to run them because they can be refinished and can last l9nger then the OEM rotors.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

If you don’t track the only benefit of PCCB is clean wheels..

Until PCCB rotor prices come down to earth ST is the only sensible alternative, certainly when it comes time to replace them. PCCB’s dont last 1 year if punished properly, replacement cost is double that of ST and much more compared to ST that can be refurbished.

So might as well order steel for a new car and put ST on from the start.
For most track cars they will last the life of the car.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

A year and a half after our launch, the case for a complete AP Racing Radi-CAL brake system is stronger than ever, particularly against any type of carbon ceramic discs. We now have a very long list of satisfied customers. Our 991 GT3/RS/GT2RS customers have been using words like, "game-changing", "The kit is a dream vs. PCCB", "Confidence-inspiring", "I dropped 2 seconds off my best lap time", etc. You can see lots of feedback in our monster thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html

You can see more customer feedback on our blog:
https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

With our system, all your OEM brake components are preserved on the garage shelf while you hammer our kit. It is far lighter (33 lbs. lighter) and durable than the OEM iron setup. We have plenty of customers with more than 20-25 well-driven track events on their first set of iron discs, and when you do need to replace them spare iron is only $599. There's also no shipping parts around the world, downtime with the car, worrying about fragile discs, you can keep fresh spares on hand if you need them, etc. When you're done with our AP Racing kit you sell it on the used market and recoup somewhere in the neighborhood of $7,000 for the used parts. That means an incredibly low out of pocket expense, not to mention all the performance improvements our kit brings, and your OEM brake parts look fresh as a daisy when you put your car on BAT to sell it. Some of our customers tell us it's worth it for the simplicity of pad changes alone (two bolts, no need to remove the caliper from the car), and it even clears the OEM wheels without a spacer.

Front= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...61394mm-991gt3
Rear= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...449-380-991gt3

As an added bonus, you get some serious track cred with our system, since the calipers are the same AP Racing Radi-CAL design used on the Le Mans-winning Porsche 911 RSR factory racecars. If pedestrian iron discs are good enough to win Le Mans, they're probably good enough for the typical track day or club race.

In summary, our system offers the weight savings of PCCB, the durability of iron, a tremendous amount of added convenience, and by far the lowest long-term ownership costs. They are truly a worthy investment on these cars.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

The owner would still need a PIWIS to code the ABS when going from Steel to CCMs

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
GT3 pccb replacement (410/390) - Discs made by Surface Transforms (In stock)
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Re...por-crk-01.htm

No modification is required for this pccb replacement rotor kit (We also have a hardware kit that allows standard (red) calipers to install this oversize kit)

Standard iron upgrade to RB CCB (380/380) -
https://www.racingbrake.com/ProductD...ode=POR-CRK-07

Modification to rear caliper pad bolts is required (see details below)
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...5&postcount=23
991 Rear Caliper (OE is for 380x30mm iron rotor)

This is where needs to be widened (from 34 to 37mm; 1.5mm per side) for a thicker CCM rotor (34mm) with proper clearance.

Another distinct advantage, other than low initial buying and replacement cost than pccb option, is this RB-CCM rotor kit is built with ="3"%same CCM disc for all four corners, so they are totally interchangeable just like tires. For example if your front discs are more consumed (which is usually the case for tracking), you can swap the front pair to the back, or one side (driver/passenger) to the other (CCM discs are not directional)

Very flexible and economical; you only need one spare disc to cover all four.

All kits are precisely engineered for a perfect fit and guaranteed to perform better than any competitor's build and OE. The 380/380 kit is the same exact set up as we built for David Donohue for his Pikes Peak Racing.

See David's in-depth review here from his professional racing prospective about RB CCM kit.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14334913
Old 11-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Is the rear brake bias perceptively different when running larger rear discs?

I see the same pricing for steel or PCCB replacements, correct?
https://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-11

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
They sure are. Both the cars below are running the ST 410/400 ceramics.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:28 PM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perimeter
The owner would still need a PIWIS to code the ABS when going from Steel to CCMs
can you comment further on this? I feel like my abs is overly aggressive after going from PCCB to steel.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:53 PM
Scuderia V
Former Vendor

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Exactly! https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...iscs-pads.html

Last edited by Scuderia V; 12-08-2019 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scuderia V
Great price and attractive black hats

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread