Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Noticed this issue with the front fender liner on the passenger side today. The wear is along the front side of the liner. I assume it's on the passenger side because I've been running primarly CCW tracks lately. Is this an issue with caster? I've never heard any rubbing, but obviously it's occurring. I know my camber is -2.7, but I don't know what my caster is set at. Are there solutions to this problem? My camber setting is perfect right now in the front since the tires are wearing perfectly evenly.

Fender liner wear:

Front tires
Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm still having an issue with outer edge wear on the rear tires, though. Even with running -2.9 camber in the rear:

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Noticed this issue with the front fender liner on the passenger side today. The wear is along the front side of the liner. I assume it's on the passenger side because I've been running primarly CCW tracks lately. Is this an issue with caster? I've never heard any rubbing, but obviously it's occurring. I know my camber is -2.7, but I don't know what my caster is set at. Are there solutions to this problem? My camber setting is perfect right now in the front since the tires are wearing perfectly evenly.

Fender liner wear:

Front tires
Front fender liner should be a warranty item I assume?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I'm still having an issue with outer edge wear on the rear tires, though. Even with running -2.9 camber in the rear:

Could it be sidewall rolling in turns and thus wearing on the side? Rear is rather heavy and those sidewalls are touring-car soft. I had that when I switched from AD08R to PSS on another car. I solved it only by upping the pressure (actually, real solution was switching back to AD08R).
Old 04-12-2015, 11:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Front fender liner should be a warranty item I assume?
You might be assuming too much. LOL

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Could it be sidewall rolling in turns and thus wearing on the side? Rear is rather heavy and those sidewalls are touring-car soft. I had that when I switched from AD08R to PSS on another car. I solved it only by upping the pressure (actually, real solution was switching back to AD08R).
I'm running 34-35 psi hot in rear. Maybe I'll try 36psi next time, but IIRC grip won't be as good.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:43 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

This happened to me too, Joe. Exact same, passenger side. It only happened at 1 track (Mosport) with massive compression at the bottom of a hill (bottom of T4). It was due to the natural caster that occurs with front camber adjustment (also -2.7 in my case). I installed RSS caster bushings to back out the forward castor. All good now.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
This happened to me too, Joe. Exact same, passenger side. It only happened at 1 track (Mosport) with massive compression at the bottom of a hill (bottom of T4). It was due to the natural caster that occurs with front camber adjustment (also -2.7 in my case). I installed RSS caster bushings to back out the forward castor. All good now.
Thanks! Can you give me a link/part number to the part? Looks like I'll need a set of these!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Thanks! Can you give me a link/part number to the part? Looks like I'll need a set of these!
Sorry, I don’t have a part number – my shop diagnosed & solved the problem – just checked my invoice – it just says “RSS Adjustable caster bushing set”. I’m sure if you contact them they will know. If that doesn’t work, PM me and I’ll post the part number. But I’d definitely recommend you do this because my liners wore a bit further than yours and there is a sharp metal bracket that holds the turn signal in place that could potentially cut a tire. I caught my issue ½ way through an event (because I actually heard it rubbing at the bottom of a very high speed compression). The bracket was actually starting the graze my tire so I cut the day short. Anyone else with front camber adjustments should keep an eye on the liners. It took extreme compression to reveal this problem but it’s there!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I don’t have a part number – my shop diagnosed & solved the problem – just checked my invoice – it just says “RSS Adjustable caster bushing set”. I’m sure if you contact them they will know. If that doesn’t work, PM me and I’ll post the part number. But I’d definitely recommend you do this because my liners wore a bit further than yours and there is a sharp metal bracket that holds the turn signal in place that could potentially cut a tire. I caught my issue ½ way through an event (because I actually heard it rubbing at the bottom of a very high speed compression). The bracket was actually starting the graze my tire so I cut the day short. Anyone else with front camber adjustments should keep an eye on the liners. It took extreme compression to reveal this problem but it’s there!
Thanks. This is great info that people should really know about. I believe that this is the part needed:

http://rss.rpmware.com/rss/rss-suspe.../i-498439.aspx
The following users liked this post:
WP0 (04-05-2020)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Hey Joe – sorry if I’ve missed this earlier in the thread but are you happy with -2.9 rear camber? I’m just running -2.3 rear right now which seems good (feel-wise) and the rears have been wearing fairly even across the tread. What were you running prior to -2.9 and did you notice “feel”/lap time changes or just tire-wear differences?
Old 04-13-2015, 02:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hey Joe – sorry if I’ve missed this earlier in the thread but are you happy with -2.9 rear camber? I’m just running -2.3 rear right now which seems good (feel-wise) and the rears have been wearing fairly even across the tread. What were you running prior to -2.9 and did you notice “feel”/lap time changes or just tire-wear differences?
I was running -2.4 in the rear before, but with the edge wear it was bumped to -2.9. I didn't notice much of a change in feel or lap times. What kind of tire pressures are you running? I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why my rear tires still wear on the outer edge even with -2.9 camber
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jesse, with regard to head tilt forward. you know your recaro hans seat right?
once u use that, all other seats are utter garbage on track period.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

I was running -2.4 in the rear before, but with the edge wear it was bumped to -2.9. I didn't notice much of a change in feel or lap times. What kind of tire pressures are you running? I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why my rear tires still wear on the outer edge even with -2.9 camber
I’ve been running 30 Front, 30-32 Rear (hot). Sadly I’ve been running SottoZero’s for the past 4 months (up here in the deep-freeze) but looking forward to putting Cups back on next week. I still have 2 sets of Cups but I’m going to try Trofeo’s when my supply is done. Will keep a closer eye on rear tire wear.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I’ve been running 30 Front, 30-32 Rear (hot). Sadly I’ve been running SottoZero’s for the past 4 months (up here in the deep-freeze) but looking forward to putting Cups back on next week. I still have 2 sets of Cups but I’m going to try Trofeo’s when my supply is done. Will keep a closer eye on rear tire wear.
I'm going to guess that once you move back to grippy tires that you'll have uneven wear in the back like I am? I'm running 32psi front and 34 psi rear hot on mpsc2
Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

I'm going to guess that once you move back to grippy tires that you'll have uneven wear in the back like I am? I'm running 32psi front and 34 psi rear hot on mpsc2
I think I was getting pretty even rear wear with my set-up but I’ll watch it more closely. I’m running at Watkins Glen April 25/26. Will have a good look then.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal