Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it will be interesting to poll other non lift GT3 owners in a few weeks time - guys like TMJ57 and see what they say. Technically the front of the new GT3 has a slightly higher front ramp angle to teh old 7.2 GT3. Its a very small difference though. That said the front black rubber apron (spoiler) on the 991 GT3 is much deeper than the old 7.2 GT3. By that I man is is angled more aggressively and deeper so the actual hard plastic PU of the bumper itself is in fact a good 20-30mm higher off the ground than the bottom of the lip spoiler itself. Lastly, the 4-6 scrapes I have had I cant be 100% if all of them were the spliter/spoiler or the brake cooling duct bulges under the car.

If you are going to frequent underground car parks, live and drive in the city or have a residential home where the streets have speed humps then the lift is a useful option assuming the $3000 usd isnt an issue for you. For me Ill be honest and say that I had strict budget guidelines for this car. $3000 was approximately the cost of upgrading to bucket seats and clubsport option for me and that was where I felt my limited money was better spent, remembering of course that paying european prices means my GT3 is already 20% more than those purchasing in the states and also I have the extra 30K expense of a European trip to consider....so I will live with the occasional replacement of the lip spoiler for $6-800 or whatever they charge...
Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

These guys don't lift... They don't need no stinkin' lift...

Old 12-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting pic......that's really close the 997 might even look a hair lower. Those euro kats we're discussing a few guys with reliability issues and their lifts? Just something I read I have zero first hand knowledge. I ordered the lift the roads and entries where I live suck! Where is the switch located anybody know?
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrek
I ordered the lift the roads and entries where I live suck! Where is the switch located anybody know?
Center console, second button in the row of buttons on the right side, right below the exhaust button....
Old 12-29-2013, 05:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the middle of the bumper. The 991 is lower. I ordered the lift. I know I've got some entry curbs in town that are an issue, so I'll use it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, had the car on the lift today (garage lift). The front splitter is nothing like the 997's. In the 997, you could damage it and replace for $200. The current splitter is a much bigger pieces that wraps around the front bumper and is almost part of the bumper. Big enough hit and the bumper will sustain damage. My unsolicited advice is to get the lift. If you didn't, be very careful, especially if you lower the car, which sits a bit higher than the 997. As much as I want to lower mine, I may not as the engine has been lowered a lot (to help COG) and despite the skid plate, is vulnerable to off track excursions.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:50 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look under the car the front brake ducts are quite a bit lower than the splitter, lower than on the 997 for sure.

Lift won't help you when just driving around, those front ducts will definitely hit the road from time to time. I'm sure they will be easy to replace although haven't tried yet to make sure this is the case. Prior it was a 1 min job to swap them, Mine on the new car have grounded a few times but the splitter is unmarked. Interesting.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLM911
Look under the car the front brake ducts are quite a bit lower than the splitter, lower than on the 997 for sure.

Lift won't help you when just driving around, those front ducts will definitely hit the road from time to time. I'm sure they will be easy to replace although haven't tried yet to make sure this is the case. Prior it was a 1 min job to swap them, Mine on the new car have grounded a few times but the splitter is unmarked. Interesting.
I agree with FLM911. The brake ducts are a disposable commodity but ok cheap and quick to replace. I already have scrapes on mine.

Sam. I also had my car up on the Jack and The splitter removed. There are three pieces to the splitter the two side pieces that ran up the wheel arch's. The front center piece ships inside the car for the dealer to put on. its flexible and after 3500km of bad roads, speed bumps and car parks didnt get badly beat up at all. Is slopes down. The plastic bumper behind is actually quite small where it clips in and gets bigger on the sides. I think you have to hit a high curb or something front on to damage the bumper behind. I really dont think its such a big issue although obviously has taken plenty of bandwidth of debate.

If you go to the 991 GT3 thread on Pistonheads you will see comments yesterday for a guy in Monaco who has had his non lift car for almost 6 weeks now, lives in an apartment with an underground car park and has yet to scrape the front lip! You will also see comment by another UK owner who inspired by my road trip set off last Monday for Spain and in one week has already put 2500 MILES on the car including half a day at a southern spanish race track. Hes scrapped 2-3 time like me on speed bumps and driving fast on broken paved roads.

That I know on this board very few USA owners are yet to have done any decent mileages over varied surfaces to give feedback on the issue of the front splitter.

Lastly I asked the dealr in Switzerland for a part number and price for the splitter but they did not yet have the 7.3 PET revision with the 991 Gt3 parts prices. They are looking into it and indicated after calling PAG they believed the part was approx 400 CHF...
Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Heres a bad picture of the splitter after the trip. The white marks are dirt picked up by the flash...
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Okay now I have to finalize an order. Don't really care about weight but its definite that there isn't a ride height difference between w/lift and w/o lift cars?

I think it was put out there earlier in this thread but I can't imagine thats the case
Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to have a lift with all the construction going on in Houston. I had a slammed M3 and at the end of the day I had to replace the entire bumper it was so messed up, granted I did have an Amuse Ericson Carbon Fiber bumper on, but it was still bad. I'm afraid i'm gonna get complacent and forget to do the lift when I start going over some areas. Any idea how long the actual lift takes to be at maximum ride height?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the approach angle, but would a lucky owner mind measuring the actual distrance from the bottom of the splitter to the ground?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the lift but it won't help while you are driving on the street. It only works below 30 mph I believe. Hitting a pot hole suddenly won't help by having the lift. It's more for speed bumps or driveways. But there are some roads in Houston that if aware you could go slow and activate the lift.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lift is really a big toss up depending on where you live. Just think of it from another angle. Lifter is a few pounds up front and you go on a diet and loss a few more, you now have a mid engine car. No hp gain but you'll get better handling. just do it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Another owner's opinion from another forum:

"Living in NYC and owning a 4.0 (and having had a 997.2 GT3RS), the 991 GT3 has plenty more clearance and no issues where my others have (i.e. my garage and some crosstown streets with notorious manholes potholes). NO need for axle lift for me..... "

Quick Reply: Ground clearance?