Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah, I can tell. Maybe this will make you feel a little better, Mike. I read that, unlike the regular 9A1 Carreras, on the GT3 the oil/water heat exchanger and the oil filter have been relocated from the top of the engine to the oil pan to help lower the center of gravity. That means the filter is accessible from below and you don't have to mess with the fan assembly. Of course you'll probably have to remove the diffuser panel below the engine to get to it; hopefully that will be more straightforward than the fans.
In the 991 the fan assembly is held on with fittings that pull out of their rubber grommets. No screws, just pop it out and back in when done. Another minute and the filter is accessible. Does anyone really find that daunting? Even unscrewing the diffuser panel will take little effort. Ok, I read that you then have to remove the windshield, so there may be a downside.

PS, Anyone who can turn a screwdriver can remove the bumper cap and replace the air filters (every 20k) miles far faster than it used to take "real enthusiasts" to remove and clean the valve covers, do the drill to adjust the (solid lifter) valves- the very definition of "purity" (every 3500 miles) on air cooled cars for most of then time they were made. The bumper cap has far fewer screws than the valve covers had nuts, they don't have top be cross torqued; and the bumper cap doesn't leak oil.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah, I can tell. Maybe this will make you feel a little better, Mike. I read that, unlike the regular 9A1 Carreras, on the GT3 the oil/water heat exchanger and the oil filter have been relocated from the top of the engine to the oil pan to help lower the center of gravity. That means the filter is accessible from below and you don't have to mess with the fan assembly. Of course you'll probably have to remove the diffuser panel below the engine to get to it; hopefully that will be more straightforward than the fans.
Oil Pan? It's true dry sump, no?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If you are paying close to $150,000 why in the world would you do your own oil change or any maintenance other than wash it (some are really **** about washing their cars)?
For me it's cost of time. It faster to change pads, bleed brakes and change air filter then drive to a mechanic who can do it. I do not do oil changes (no lift), and I take it to mechanic when several things need to be done at once, because then the drive is shorter than doing it myself. Also, a mechanic that's closest to me once did not tighten bleed valve on one of my brake calipers correctly, and I lost brakes going into T1 at Watkins Glen. Obviously, no second chances on things like that, so doing things myself is even more appealing now.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I didn't think the fan removal was that big of a deal anyway, but your description confirms that it's easier than I thought. Interesting info; thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Oil Pan? It's true dry sump, no?
It is a true dry sump with a separate oil tank but there is still an oil pan where oil is collected, extracted and pumped back to the tank.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Ok...good to know...thanks for this update!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If you are paying close to $150,000 why in the world would you do your own oil change or any maintenance other than wash it (some are really **** about washing their cars)?
I don't do all my own oil changes but due to my work load travel schedule I don't have time to schedule a oil change at the dealer or indy shop.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Because. many times, doing it yourself yields better results no matter where your dealership may be located; Beverly Hills or BF PA.

I have watched many mechanics (Porsche and others) skimp on a quality oil change because of times constraints.

Like anything else, you get out of, what you put into something.

Yes, some are really **** about washing their cars, because when someone else it does they typically do it for time efficiency and not paint preservation. All his/her own; just sayin...
Old 09-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/16/2...ds-best-seats/

"Porsche claims that the development and crash validation of these seats was the longest portion of the GT2's development."

Quick Reply: MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!