Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh.. the 997.1 GT3 landed stateside with neither CGT, 996.1 GT3, nor GT2 (did not exist until 18 months or so after 7.1 GT3 release) seats....nor for that matter did the 996.2 GT3...but at least you could retrofit all three....

Notwithstanding...it is distinctly unimpressive that PCNA can't get its **** together at release....

Retrofitting GT2 Seats will be feasible...but sheesh what a WOFTAM.....(Waste of f...time and money)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
They're asking for four seat options and wing deletes on another forum...

Yep, this car is aimed at the cars and coffee wannabe crowdit would seem... or thats my conclusion!
Yes..

two more things:

1. You all talk about US regulations..if the Corvette did it..there can be no excuse for Porsche..knowing..as they say with their own statistics "70% of GT3 customers track their car"..this was however valid for 996-997 Generation..I supect from now on, it will be a 100% track free car...and more a car and coffee..or desperate housewives Gucci shopping car..(of course with some irony)..

2. Another buddy from another forum found out, that even the German configurator says "Clubsport package not homologated according FIA rules"..this means - a 991 GT3 cannot take part in any FIA organised race-event. Keep in mind that all official Porsche "racing events"...are also bound to FIA regulation.

So what does that show..? It clearly shows that this car has to stay off the track..but one thing I dont get - Porsche has a completely new engine..if this engine if made for track..- why the hell do everything to keeo it from going there..? Are the afraid of the CL, rear wheel steering to fail..?

PS: I know one person - who was already on the list for 991 GT3 for two years...juct cancelled his order because of no2. ..he tracks quite often..but with the CS package not homologated for FIA..

PS II: all this lamenting on the bucket seats..those who complain about them..have you ever been in them? They are the best Porsche seats..(except for not being able to move up - down)...and I have some issues with my back..but in these seats..no issues at all. In fact, I will buy these seats as second hadn seats and put them in two other cars I own..to replace their crappy seats..
Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Well, AP said this car was emotional. What is more "emotional" then taking 475hp into a curve on boulevard seats (with red stitching)?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to have a 3.8 RS...with sport buckets and a manual tranny!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scott40
Glad to have a 3.8 RS...with sport buckets and a manual tranny!
yes..and probably its full of emtions too..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Another buddy from another forum found out, that even the German configurator says "Clubsport package not homologated according FIA rules"..this means - a 991 GT3 cannot take part in any FIA organised race-event. Keep in mind that all official Porsche "racing events"...are also bound to FIA regulation.
Specific build "M003 - Clubsport N/GT" is something that has been completely watered down over the years and 911 generations. It used to be a specific build on the 964 & 993 with no carpeting and a full welded cage to just a bolted rear cage and a harness + fire extinguisher thrown in the front trunk at delivery.

Last generation where the Clubsport actually made sense was the 996 GT3 MK1. Starting with the 2004 MK2, you were better off buying a 996 GT3 RS if you wanted something somewhat FIA compliant on delivery.

As for the 991 GT3 Clubsport not being FIA legal, I believe it's a matter of how much add ons you are ready to pay for afterwards :

- The front cage is available from Porsche and will make the full cage "legal" AFAIK. Over the years the cage has always been redesigned to follow and compley with new FIA requirements.

- The battery cut-off switches are also available from Motorsport at a cost.

- The seats are the real problem, the "GT2 foldables buckets" must not be compliant and since the "Carrera GT fixed buckets" arne't available anymore, you will have to buy aftermarket seats.

From the 964 to the 996 MKI, these 3 elements were all part of the Clubsport build on delivery.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slowekistan
Well, AP said this car was emotional. What is more "emotional" then taking 475hp into a curve on boulevard seats (with red stitching)?
Bwahhhhh!

That was funny!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM
entityx
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Think about it...that is becaue the 997.1 cars DID NOT have side impact air bags in the seats. The car was not homologated to the USA DOT with side impact air bags in the seat.
997.2 cars have this feature with the air bag system as a stander part of the factory air bag system. .1 and .2 cars difference so if you get GT2 Sport Buckets for your .1 GT3 they will fit but there is nothing to plug the side impact air bags inside the seat into. If I had a .1 car I would get some Sparco or Recaro's myself.
The sport adaptive seats in my car DO have side impact air bags, and I'm pretty sure the GT2 wire harness matches up. As you point out though, my car wasn't designed for these seats so who knows how safe it can really be. The problem with putting Recaro / Sparco is that they need to DOT approved for DD, and in most instances they aren't.

Hopefully the 991 GT2 will come with buckets that can be retrofitted, however given the direction PCNA is going this may be wishful thinking.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

The carbon sport bucket is probably the safest seat Porsche. It has greater body coverage and fixed positioning when secured upright.

My guess is that the seat issue comes from PCNA rather than PAG. I think these two entities have been at odds before as to what the American buyer wants. PAG probably thinks among the majority of the people on this forum and PCNA thinks more along what my mother would prefer.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Ridiculous!
Personally, do not go on the track without my Hans device...period.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by entityx
The sport adaptive seats in my car DO have side impact air bags, and I'm pretty sure the GT2 wire harness matches up. As you point out though, my car wasn't designed for these seats so who knows how safe it can really be. The problem with putting Recaro / Sparco is that they need to DOT approved for DD, and in most instances they aren't.

Hopefully the 991 GT2 will come with buckets that can be retrofitted, however given the direction PCNA is going this may be wishful thinking.
Oh....wow..I should be corrected...from the Carrera 997.1 i owned and some friends GT3 997.1 I could have sworn they didn't have side impact air bags as part of the seats. Hummm....well then yes even 997.1's would not be in compliance with DOT and insurance companies if they install after market race seats and drive on the street.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

What about doing a poll and send a letter to PAG with a formal complaint that we need an option for fixed bucket seats?

I mean if it is PCNA keeping this from happening, why not go to the source with petittion signed by a large group of GT3 customers?

We might get some answers

Mike
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
The carbon sport bucket is probably the safest seat Porsche. It has greater body coverage and fixed positioning when secured upright.

My guess is that the seat issue comes from PCNA rather than PAG. I think these two entities have been at odds before as to what the American buyer wants. PAG probably thinks among the majority of the people on this forum and PCNA thinks more along what my mother would prefer.
Well, it looks like your mother will have a great car then!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mike2727
What about doing a poll and send a letter to PAG with a formal complaint that we need an option for fixed bucket seats?

I mean if it is PCNA keeping this from happening, why not go to the source with petittion signed by a large group of GT3 customers?

We might get some answers

Mike
Agreed. Voice Of the Customer can sway people. Look, all this talk about how the dealers can't sell the cars with the GT2 buckets may be true, but also true is that this is a halo car. If the core group of customers that create that halo (people that track the car and publicize their exploits- us in other words) reject the car, then it those same marketing wizards will change their tune. It won't happen right away, but it could happen if the noise and rejection of the car for track work is loud enough...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Think about it...that is because the 997.1 cars DID NOT have side impact air bags in the seats.
Not correct! .1 gt3 & .1 gt3 RS (along with every other .1 997) did have side air bags on their 'sport leather/alcantara seats' as sold in the US via PCNA! Part of airbag defense in all US 997's. Steering wheel & passenger dash - frontal airbags; top of door panels - side curtain air bags; seats on side (facing doors) - thorax air bags. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by entityx
The sport adaptive seats in my car DO have side impact air bags, and I'm pretty sure the GT2 wire harness matches up.
Correct.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Quick Reply: MAJOR FAIL! No Sport Bucket Set Option (6 point harness seats) WOW!