Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have had it- "no mas"

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I moved from Nor Cal (Sonoma County) a year and a half ago to Colorado. Lived in Nor Cal for 25+ years off and on.

As many have said the stupid traffic, poor roads, insane amount of CHP, bad schools, high crime, gangs, high cost of living, politics, no investment in infrastructure, etc have driven many out of the state. The winter weather really is cold, foggy, and rainy although the last couple of years have been nicer compared to the days I remember from my childhood. I don't miss it at all. The roads were so bad in Sonoma County there were only certain ways I could drive my Cayman home. Some paved roads had degraded to the point they were impassible with my 1" lowered car. That forces all the cars onto already clogged motorways...

Here is Colorado there aren't **** Gestapo CHPs, there are mountain roads, open planes, a local track, and the traffic isn't oppressive. You actually can feel the difference in how much freer the society is. People are nicer, building projects get done, etc. Even my 10 yr old commented on how much better the schools were when we moved. In the winter they don't salt the roads so when the weather clears up you can take the cars out. The climate is so dry it can snow in the morning and it can evaporate by mid day. I drive my F80 M3 and 997.2 turbo year round. I keep summer/high performance tires on them and then drive our Cayenne Turbo during snow. I would recommend a turbo car here as the naturally aspirated cars feel a bit wheezy!!

Forgot to mention that the housing market in Sonoma County (and surrounding areas) has gone even more insane recently due to the recent fires. There was a shortage of homes and then the fires wiped out thousands of them. As an example, nice but not extravagant homes that were in the 700k range are now $1.0m+ basically overnight with bidding wars. Smart people, with the means, bought homes right after the fire knowing that prices were going to skyrocket.

Last edited by gmsracing; 04-05-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-05-2018, 04:37 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Everyone can defend the state they "chose" to live in as the best state. Of course every state has killer food, best roads, no tax, free refills on gas, no partisanship, cats and dogs living together in peace.

Ask someone in the top 10 most expensive places to live in the US if they would move if cost wasn't an issue. There's your answer where to live.

If I accurately and objectively gave reasons why you would never live in TX, FL, NC, IL, AZ, NV (and all but possibly 2-3 states), my fingers would hurt and I would probably get a time-out from the mods.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:47 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Everyone can defend the state they "chose" to live in as the best state. Of course every state has killer food, best roads, no tax, free refills on gas, no partisanship, cats and dogs living together in peace.

Ask someone in the top 10 most expensive places to live in the US if they would move if cost wasn't an issue. There's your answer where to live.

If I accurately and objectively gave reasons why you would never live in TX, FL, NC, IL, AZ, NV (and all but possibly 2-3 states), my fingers would hurt and I would probably get a time-out from the mods.
Uh... no... Not as evidenced by a ton of comments here in this thread and indeed the impetus for the discussion.........
Old 04-05-2018, 04:55 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Uh... no... Not as evidenced by a ton of comments here in this thread and indeed the impetus for the discussion.........
Thanks for proving my point, although I really didn't need the help.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

What is wrong with FL, NC, TX, NV, and AZ?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for proving my point, although I really didn't need the help.
what would be your top 3 places to be?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Wrong with FL?

Old people and island people constantly trying to kill you on the road, way to humid in the summer, no curves on any roads.
Monsoon rains make it feel like you're driving a sub marine instead of an RS..
Getting more expensive to live.

Taxes are good.
Winter weather is perfect.
Sebring - PBIR - Homestead - Daytona.

Summers should be spent in Europe or west coast. I'm trying to get out of here after May..
I'll start with Iceland and Pikes Peak trip.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

How did this ever become a thread about which state is better??? The op asked for suggestions for where to ship his car for winter months, not a "my state is better" competition. Is ANY subject an excuse to try to "win" over someone else?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

But we settled that FL CA AZ or TX
Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Bleu by you
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cal expat

Moved accross the border to Reno,Nv. No state income tax, Lake Tahoe, 35 min away, 5,000 ft elevation keeps weather temperate, no humidity,check number of high tech ventures moving to this area. Driving roads? All of Sierra Nevada range. Et al
Old 04-05-2018, 05:52 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How did this ever become a thread about which state is better??? The op asked for suggestions for where to ship his car for winter months, not a "my state is better" competition. Is ANY subject an excuse to try to "win" over someone else?
yes.... kidding. think JimmyD just got a ton of good suggestions. I'm looking forward to hopefully driving in many of the areas mentioned over the next few years - in a Pcar of course.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:52 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

CopperState 1000 is known for their Scenic Arizona sights along the way.
https://www.mensartscouncil.com/cs/2016-2/

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
I will second Scottsdale. First few weeks up N Scottsdale i thought there was a car show every day. New Turbo S as frequent as a Honda. F cars and Lambo in every parking lot. Mclaren wizzing buy u at every stop light. It's was crazy.

Met up with a coffee group meets twice a week. 15 or so guys. Pretty much every car you ever dreamed of in that group. 944 to 720 Mclaren and everything in between.
As far as events. CC once a month probably 1,000 cars. As well as many other great car shows and rally's. Don't forget about car Auction week. It's pretty much Auto overload.

Buddy took me on a 200 mile trip that had some of the best roads I have ever driven. No traffic great scenery.

There are a couple of private tracks getting rolling. Hope to be completed next year. As well as a storage country club called the Drivers Club. It would be a great place to store your car. Focus is on car storage and car related drives and activities weekly. They will also have onsite detail and maintenance available. Conference center and a social/bar area. Incredible facility. Opens in a few months.

Best of all it's the people and the politics. Everyone is so nice and conservative. It must be the perfect weather.

I recently made the move from Oregon. Now in Scottsdale full time except for 2-3 months in the summer. The car culture is second to none. Love it.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

By the way SoCal is experiencing an earthquake at this very moment. Hope its just a tremor.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Just look at my avatar if you don't want to be next door to a track. Thunderhill & Sonoma raceway not far away & even the roads to get to them are fairly awesome. Has been winter in Canada for > 6 mo! I know how you feel.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Unfortunately, politics can't be ignored. The cost of living is ridiculous and the taxes are never ending. How does a state with such a large economy have bad schools, bad roads, and crime everywhere because there is 'no money'?
The traffic is so bad that you have no desire to go anywhere and end up holed in.
The state is going to hell in a handbasket at an ever accelerating rate. I'm stuck here. Otherwise I would head for Texas.

I lived in Michigan for the first 30 years of my life. I hated the cold and the weather, but I'll take poor weather over entitled/rude people and astronomical cost of living.
I lived in Cali my whole life. Packed up all my stuff 7 years ago and moved to Dallas, TX. Never looked back.

Quick Reply: I have had it- "no mas"