Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

i did not want to be rude, i meant by "real" with the titanium cage, and exposed CF front.
Better terms would be "complete" WP if you prefer.

Titanium wheels are not included in WP for the GT3 RS, and not even available as an option here.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by smookey
i did not want to be rude, i meant by "real" with the titanium cage, and exposed CF front.
Better terms would be "complete" WP if you prefer.

Titanium wheels are not included in WP for the GT3 RS, and not even available as an option here.
No worries. I don’t have the WP. Just didn’t see the value without the Ti rollbar but to me I would have preferred a WP with mg wheels, Ti rollbar& cf tie rods/control arms and just paint hood black. Keep all the cf fluff. That I would have paid $18k for.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
No worries. I don’t have the WP. Just didn’t see the value without the Ti rollbar but to me I would have preferred a WP with mg wheels, Ti rollbar& cf tie rods/control arms and just paint hood black. Keep all the cf fluff. That I would have paid $18k for.
Come on, lot of its fluff already. Just arbitrary where u draw the line.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Come on, lot of its fluff already. Just arbitrary where u draw the line.
True but if I’m paying for a WP that’s supposed to save weight and add performance then the “Waxer” WP I think would be preferred by most for the same $ and some real weight and performance advantage.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dot23RS

I do have a 808 WP that just locked this month, yes. I received my original allocation in June and right away my first Spec included 808 WP, I changed my build a few times but never deleted 808. Porsche indefinitely suspended 808 in August for any 3RS order that was not already V200 and did not already include 808 WP. This is also why 909 WP was added to the configurator as it is now the only way you can order a 3RS WP.

Our database currently has ~500 808 WP that have already been built. The most recent being “5050” built on 11/5

*all the above information pertains to N.A. production only.
Thanks for the clarification. I’m sure the 909 will eventually also close. I was surprised I lost the 808 WP on my build just because I changed the color of the car. It was v200, then went to v100 with a failed feasibility check. Went from lime green to black. Shouldn’t you be able to update options without losing WP?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:10 PM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

No worries. I don’t have the WP. Just didn’t see the value without the Ti rollbar but to me I would have preferred a WP with mg wheels, Ti rollbar & cf tie rods/control arms and just paint hood black. Keep all the cf fluff. That I would have paid $18k for.
Waxer, where are you getting the idea that the WP offered on the GT3RS has ever included Mg wheels, CF tie rods, and CF control arms? Also, Porsche has never offered any clubsport rollbar in the US due to safety regulations. The Mg wheels you are proposing in your ideal lightweight package cost $18k alone when bought from the manufacturer, BBS.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:40 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

I think what he is saying is that is should be more of a performance oriented package. Don't invest in marginal carbon parts (cosmetic or otherwise), but add lightness (Mg wheels) and safety for track (Ti cage). BMW got half cage approved for the US w the GTS so it's possible. (FWIW, true track protection requires a full cage and the Ti bar is not compatible (not even sure its FIA compliant). So it is even somewhat cosmetic.)

Best would be true lightweight package - delete PCM, maybe AC, only full buckets, no lift, Mg wheels, lightweight / plexiglass, etc. Charge $25k (in PAG math winds up being $50k...)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by S.White
Waxer, where are you getting the idea that the WP offered on the GT3RS has ever included Mg wheels, CF tie rods, and CF control arms? Also, Porsche has never offered any clubsport rollbar in the US due to safety regulations. The Mg wheels you are proposing in your ideal lightweight package cost $18k alone when bought from the manufacturer, BBS.
What Signes said. To me the WP should have been mg wheels, cf control arms/ tie rods and Ti rollbar through the parts counter with a signed purchase receipt acknowledging its for closed course only.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:04 AM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by signes
I think what he is saying is that is should be more of a performance oriented package. Don't invest in marginal carbon parts (cosmetic or otherwise), but add lightness (Mg wheels) and safety for track (Ti cage). BMW got half cage approved for the US w the GTS so it's possible. (FWIW, true track protection requires a full cage and the Ti bar is not compatible (not even sure its FIA compliant). So it is even somewhat cosmetic.)

Best would be true lightweight package - delete PCM, maybe AC, only full buckets, no lift, Mg wheels, lightweight / plexiglass, etc. Charge $25k (in PAG math winds up being $50k...)
Maybe, I guess. The package is the package. Not changing for the better. It was always just a little cherry on top of the already improved car. The cost (in the US) is an additional ~8% for exposed carbon, embroidery, plaques, carbon steering wheel trim, and carbon sway bars. It was apparently worth it to well more than even Porsche expected...

Wasn't the the M4 GTS roll bar allowed due to the limited production or something?

I agree, it would be nice to have a more extreme version/package for track performance but the 3RS WP is that car for Porsche right now.

That said, I'd like to add to your dream list; Ti coil springs or better yet carbon bellow springs, lightweight battery, carbon wheels instead of Mg, 5 lug hubs, Al-Li calipers, CCM-X rotors, electric vacuum pump brake booster, a lightweight folding passenger seat option, side muffler delete (maybe a rev limiter to pass sounds regs), variable traction control, GT3R mirrors, canards, and tripod axles. Thanks, Santa/Porsche!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:48 AM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe, I guess. The package is the package. Not changing for the better. It was always just a little cherry on top of the already improved car. The cost (in the US) is an additional ~8% for exposed carbon, embroidery, plaques, carbon steering wheel trim, and carbon sway bars. It was apparently worth it to well more than even Porsche expected...

Wasn't the the M4 GTS roll bar allowed due to the limited production or something?

I agree, it would be nice to have a more extreme version/package for track performance but the 3RS WP is that car for Porsche right now.

That said, I'd like to add to your dream list; Ti coil springs or better yet carbon bellow springs, lightweight battery, carbon wheels instead of Mg, 5 lug hubs, Al-Li calipers, CCM-X rotors, electric vacuum pump brake booster, a lightweight folding passenger seat option, side muffler delete (maybe a rev limiter to pass sounds regs), variable traction control, GT3R mirrors, canards, and tripod axles. Thanks, Santa/Porsche!
From Porsche.com
Note: the rear roll cage made of titanium is not FIA-GT or DMSB-approved and cannot be extended to a full cage that includes the front.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Just for clarification, the coupling rods and sway bars on the GT3RS and the GT2RS with the Weissach package are carbon. And, both cars were originally intended to be offered with Mg wheels as an option but unfortunately only some early GT2RS builds actually offered this option.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
BMW got half cage approved for the US w the GTS so it's possible.
This is what I don't get....BMW could get this done for the M4 GTS but Porsche can't? Or perhaps just doesn't care to go the effort? There would be so many US Porsche GT guys interested in this.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by Hex
Just for clarification, the coupling rods and sway bars on the GT3RS and the GT2RS with the Weissach package are carbon. And, both cars were originally intended to be offered with Mg wheels as an option but unfortunately only some early GT2RS builds actually offered this option.
Hex, that is correct. With the WP, the sway bars and drop links are carbon. There has never been talk from Porsche about tie rods or control arms in carbon. Mg wheels were to be offered as an additional option on top of the WP but not included with the WP for the GT3RS. The GT2RS now has a $18k WP that doesn't include the Mg wheels. The Mg wheels seem to be available for the GT2RS as an add on option to the $18k WP but only if the $18k WP is optioned.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:12 PM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the price tag on that titanium roll cage
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

It is a unique quality of titanium called unobtanium.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS