Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama GT4
My replacement "G" engine was approved by Atlanta on a Friday, shipped over the weekend and arrived at Porsche Birmingham on Monday. Install was completed and my car was ready to go on Wednesday afternoon.

Update: The interesting part is that my meticulously broken in new "G" motor with only 700 miles on it, went into limp mode while in 2nd gear going 25 mph on a surface street. 5-6 seconds later, the car lost all power and shut down. Towed to Porsche Birmingham where it was identified that all three right side cylinders misfired. Unable to diagnosis root cause. Appears to be electrical but awaiting feedback from Atlanta.

Is anyone else seeing any "G" motor failures?
That is a bummer. Doesn’t sound like finger followers so hopefully an easy fix.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Bama GT4
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Further update on my failed replacement "G" engine...

Subsequent testing identified a 100% leak down in cylinder 6. After the engine was removed along with the right side head, it was discovered that on cylinder 6, the exhaust valve stem broke along with a piece of the valve head . This resulted in damage to the cam, head, & cylinder 6.

So, here I am with a CPO 2015 GT3 with the stock "F" engine that failed on the first track day and the replacement "G" engine failed five weeks later after 700 meticulous break-in miles. The 2nd replacement "G" engine was approved by Germany and Atlanta on Wednesday. Obviously no one's fault but what are the odds of two failed engines in five weeks?

Warranty repair charges for the two replacement engines: $80,460
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Further update on my failed replacement "G" engine...

Subsequent testing identified a 100% leak down in cylinder 6. After the engine was removed along with the right side head, it was discovered that on cylinder 6, the exhaust valve stem broke along with a piece of the valve head . This resulted in damage to the cam, head, & cylinder 6.

So, here I am with a CPO 2015 GT3 with the stock "F" engine that failed on the first track day and the replacement "G" engine failed five weeks later after 700 meticulous break-in miles. The 2nd replacement "G" engine was approved by Germany and Atlanta on Wednesday. Obviously no one's fault but what are the odds of two failed engines in five weeks?

Those are pretty long odds. It happens, but that doesn’t make it go down any easier.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice to hear its not the finger follower issue. Production failure...
Have fun with the new engine!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer
You bring up some rational points. I'm just trying to apply some logic here. Not disagreeing with you or trying to do anything but play the "devils advocate".

So here goes.
What is in play here is human behavior. People will believe what they want to often against logic and facts because they either made a bad decision or have a lot of money tied up.
Porsche made a mistake in their design and will do whatever they have to, to hold the customer base from straying from the brand. The cost of a recall would be huge and playing the warranty numbers is far less expensive. Would they tell you if they made a mistake? Or would they bring over the head of racing and development to put on a dog and pony to keep the customer base happy?
Why did they redesign the whole valve train if there was nothing wrong with the .1 design. If it was only an inclusion and coating issue, the cost of changing this is tiny compared to a design change. The whole valve train went from hydraulic to solid and this was to make the engine more racy? Why the racy reason? Maybe they did not want to say the real reason and thought GT3 owners would want a more racy engine. Ask any .2 owner and ask him or her if they can feel the car more racy because it has a solid valve train? Going from Hydraulic to solid is not a simple change. Its a huge change. Why would you go to solids when hydraulic typically lends its self to street engines. The 996 and 997 both went thru .2 updates but neither had a complete valve train redesign?
If you were in their shoes and were confident the problem was solved, why the 10 warranty? They bought their customers loyalty when they could not fix the problem. Classic case of kicking the can down the road. Don't show the assembled few the real fault and cause and only show what you want them to see and know. Classic legal defense if ever I have seen one.

Not saying I'm right here, but in my life it has to pass the "smell and gut" check. This doesn't as there are too many holes in their reasoning and logical reasons why it doesn't. I believe my first point is apparent, human nature at play, and the buying of your loyalty with the 10 year warranty did exactly as it was intended.

I have one of these cars so I am concerned. I wont be persuaded by corporate BS and the facts do not add up. Those that could care less because of the 10 year warranty, great. I have the same warranty. I just lost a lot of confidence and respect for Porsche. I would have had more if they stayed quiet and said nothing, just went about their business and repaired any engine that required it. But to BS you and spin the reason is dishonest and not how that company used to behave.
I have to agree with your position and logic. The 991.1 issues haven't been a good look for Porsche at several levels: (1) at the design level e.g in ability to create oil film leading to excessive wear and failure (2) at the QA/QC level e.g. The finger followers themselves (3) at the corporate response level and (4) at the dealership response level.

Indeed engines are still failing. I had an acquaintance that recently purchased a CPO series 1 from interstate. Before he purchased the car I suggested he look up the history of the 991 GT3 - he did and was surprised. Nonetheless he continued down the path.

The car duly arrived and lasted 2 days before it gave up the ghost.

Call me cynical but my strong suspicion is the car already exhibited the key symptoms and the source dealer simply killed the codes and on-sold the car.

From my own perspective I have actually been in a dealership discussing a series 1 and when I raised the issue of finger followers and the extended warranty everyone played dumb (admittedly this was some time ago but well after the 10 year warranty was released).

Because of the history and some of the responses I am aware of, I elected to skip this generation in toto.

By by the same token it is important to acknowledge the great work by Rob and the COG. They have achieved a form of resolution . However and in my view, Porsche should have acknowledged the problem and dealt with it much sooner. The fact they didn't is very disappointing.

We have seen similar behaviour with respect to the GT4 third gear saga.

Last edited by groundhog; 11-19-2018 at 01:48 AM. Reason: puntuation
Old 11-18-2018, 10:00 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I am surprised that a full replacement with labor is only $40,000.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:41 PM
jdilger
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Year and 120,000 mile Warranty

My name is John Dilger and I am a new 2015 GT3 owner and new to this forum. It looks like there is really good information on the forum.
I have two questions:
Is my car covered on this extended warranty and how do I get my name on the warranty list?
My car was built in 11/14, is it a 991, 997 or what?

Thanks for your help on this,

John Dilger
714-235-4981 PST
Old 09-22-2019, 09:26 AM
Bama GT4
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jdilger
My name is John Dilger and I am a new 2015 GT3 owner and new to this forum. It looks like there is really good information on the forum.
I have two questions:
Is my car covered on this extended warranty and how do I get my name on the warranty list?
My car was built in 11/14, is it a 991, 997 or what?

Thanks for your help on this,

John Dilger
714-235-4981 PST
John:
Your car is covered by the extended engine warranty based upon your in service date (not the date from if/when your engine was replaced or the build date). There's no list that you need to get on as it's tied into the VIN # of the car and it transfers between subsequent owners. Your in service date will be a date sometime after your 11/14 build date, but either way, you're about five years into your 10 year extended warranty.

When the engines are replaced under the base warranty or the extended warranty, the local dealership will stamp the engine with the same serial number as your original engine, so you may not be able to tell if your engine has been replaced or not. I followed the CarFax on mine and even after two engines were replaced it was not reflected. I later learned that not all dealership opt to pay into CarFax so services perform there are not identified on the report.

Your 2015 GT3 would be referred to as a 991.1 (2018 GT3's are 991.2)

A further bit of information, 2014's came with a "E" motor, 2015's came with a "F" motor, and 2016's came with a "G" motor. Typically, if your 2015 had an engine replacement it was/would be with a "G" motor.

I hope that this helps...
The following 2 users liked this post by Bama GT4:
robmypro (09-22-2019), slimmn (07-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Well mine is at the dealer now. Repeating cylinder 5 misfire anytime I hit 9k. Started off only happening on track. Now it happens on the street. If I short shift at 7k I can make a full session. Car is CPO and you obviously has the engine warranty so we’ll see what happens. I did ask for a .2 engine. Had to ask they’re not there yet.
The following users liked this post:
Therosser77 (10-18-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 03:23 PM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Picked her up on the 16th with the new G engine. They told me the engine was already broken in so I’ll be ready for the next track day in a few weeks. Haven’t had much time to drive it yet but the smoke on start up is gone.
Therosser77 (10-25-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 AM
PcarFL
Instructor

16s w G motor are covered on 10 yr engine warranty as well?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarFL
16s w G motor are covered on 10 yr engine warranty as well?
All 991.1 GT3’s. Including 2016...
Old 12-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
All 991.1 GT3’s. Including 2016...
What about the 3RS?
Has the same engine. I know there have been some failures and replacements.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
What about the 3RS?
Has the same engine. I know there have been some failures and replacements.
No, not the same engine (4.0L with lower redline) and not covered. It has been a reliable motor (not perfect, but very reliable).
robmypro (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:58 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Engine is the same construction (except the crankshaft and the ECU). But most or all 4.0 have the latests material (DLC coated camshafts) and oiling optimizations simply because they were produced after this changes were introduced.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement