Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 04:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbenfield
I'm sure if the donor core was damaged, Porsche would not reuse....they would not be in business very long if this was the case.
Exactly. It is as good as new.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Exactly. It is as good as new.
Rob, I admire your optimism and positivity. Personally, having spent a lifetime dealing with issues like this gives me pause. It is at the end of the day a numbers game. How much risk to take vs the cost of doing so. If my engine went bad I would hope for a new crate engine but do recognize Porsche´s right (and largess by the way) to extend our warranty and replaced a bad one with a renanufactured one. Whether the renanufactured unit is as “new” is to me not a guaranteed thing. A core that has had pieces of metal floating around at the time it is spinning at crazy high revs has a great potential for damage whether immediately apparent or not.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Just in time
Rob, I admire your optimism and positivity. Personally, having spent a lifetime dealing with issues like this gives me pause. It is at the end of the day a numbers game. How much risk to take vs the cost of doing so. If my engine went bad I would hope for a new crate engine but do recognize Porsche´s right (and largess by the way) to extend our warranty and replaced a bad one with a renanufactured one. Whether the renanufactured unit is as “new” is to me not a guaranteed thing. A core that has had pieces of metal floating around at the time it is spinning at crazy high revs has a great potential for damage whether immediately apparent or not.
Thanks. My optimism doesn’t come from rose colored glasses. In talking with the guys from Porsche it was clear that they were looking for a resolution that exceeded owner’s expectations. These are car guys just like us. They made no excuses, owned the issue, without lawyers in the room, and said they would take care of us. The final paperwork was better than they promised up front. Why would they put shoddy remanufactured engines in these cars, only to have them fail again? I have over 4 years engine warranty left on my 2015. If they did that they would be facing more costs. They aren’t dumb. This is the best outcome for them, so rebuild the short blocks and solve the problem. The first fix is the cheapest. These guys don’t strike me as being dumb or shortsighted enough to do something like that.

The following 3 users liked this post by robmypro:
jfr0317 (06-17-2020), Manifold (06-18-2020), Therosser77 (07-21-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 03:38 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Ich tink rebuilding with all new parts except the block will be more expensive than just making whole new engines If rebuild, than with used parts at all...
Old 06-18-2020, 08:05 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick update. Car should be ready for pickup tomorrow. Took a few shots of the new motor for those interested.

The following 3 users liked this post by ksozay:
Cay_PI (06-19-2020), Just in time (06-19-2020), robmypro (06-18-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks. My optimism doesn’t come from rose colored glasses. In talking with the guys from Porsche it was clear that they were looking for a resolution that exceeded owner’s expectations. These are car guys just like us. They made no excuses, owned the issue, without lawyers in the room, and said they would take care of us. The final paperwork was better than they promised up front. Why would they put shoddy remanufactured engines in these cars, only to have them fail again? I have over 4 years engine warranty left on my 2015. If they did that they would be facing more costs. They aren’t dumb. This is the best outcome for them, so rebuild the short blocks and solve the problem. The first fix is the cheapest. These guys don’t strike me as being dumb or shortsighted enough to do something like that.
I think that maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I never implied the remanufactured engines were shoddy or that the P guys are dumb. I think they are pretty smart and stand behind their products.

My point is that at the end of the day a decision between the costs of refurbishing vs new must have been considered. I am not an engineer but have to think that the risk of reusing a core that has had metal shavings floating around has to be higher that the risk of a new crate engine. It is obvious that Porsche must feel pretty good about the chances of a rebuilt engine surviving. They also must believe that it provides them the best financial outcome. I am certain that if a new engine turned out to be a cheaper solution for Porsche that this conversation would have never happened.

As I said before I do appreciate the efforts that you and the rest of the group made on our behalf.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Just in time
I think that maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I never implied the remanufactured engines were shoddy or that the P guys are dumb. I think they are pretty smart and stand behind their products.

My point is that at the end of the day a decision between the costs of refurbishing vs new must have been considered. I am not an engineer but have to think that the risk of reusing a core that has had metal shavings floating around has to be higher that the risk of a new crate engine. It is obvious that Porsche must feel pretty good about the chances of a rebuilt engine surviving. They also must believe that it provides them the best financial outcome. I am certain that if a new engine turned out to be a cheaper solution for Porsche that this conversation would have never happened.

As I said before I do appreciate the efforts that you and the rest of the group made on our behalf.
Yeah, i wasn’t inferring that you thought they were dumb. Sorry if my comments came off like that! And definitely Porsche factored in the cost of using a remanufactured engine vs a new crate engine. They must feel pretty confident using them, feeling the risk is pretty low. I have no insight into how they rebuild them, but i assume they dip them, inspect the internals, and QC them. There are a lot of other costs involved to get those engines back to the dealer, and then into the car, so i would not expect them to be cutting unnecessary corners. Financially, they want the replacement to be the last on their dime.

Still a crazy good deal for .1 GT3 owners, remanufactured or not. We’ll still have 1-2 years left on our engine warranties when the .2s are out of warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Just in time (06-19-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:03 PM
lazrgato
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Question for you guys, do you know of anything that would void this engine warranty? Headers, exhaust, getting it serviced at an independent? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2020, 11:37 AM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lazrgato
Question for you guys, do you know of anything that would void this engine warranty? Headers, exhaust, getting it serviced at an independent? Thanks!
I'm certainly not the expert, but I wouldn't think any of the things you mentioned would cause a warranty issue.

Obviously, if you made changes to engine internals, that would be a different issue.

My two cents...
Old 07-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Muu83
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

depends on where you are in the world really, in the UK technically all of those would by the letter of the document void the warranty
Old 08-11-2020, 10:25 AM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 119 Posts

Well, dang!.. Looks like I may be joining the "need a replacement engine club".. I have 16K miles.. I think I'm the third owner.. bought in Dallas non CPO.. inspected/changed fluids/service UTD.. new tires
had another local shop look over.. bled brakes/lines.. prepped for track at Hallett.. then went to Barber for Alabama PCA DE... all awesome and no problems.. prepped for track again... went to Hallett again for local event..
All went well.. I'm not a competitive driver at all.. just enjoying my GT3/doing what it's meant to do on track..

Then after a few weeks driving around running errands... CEL.. go to service..into limp mode... all indicators show no fluid/pressure/temp issues..

Service check shows Cylinder ONE not firing... change out Coil Pack? Switch spark plugs.. at first works.. then CEL again.. same issue.

We're gonna get a new spark plug for C 1 and a brand new PAK... instead of one that was on shelf... NO local P dealer in my area..

If this doesn't work I'll be on phone with PNA Customer Service...

I assume even though not CPO and now out of full car warranty.. PNA will still pick up to take to closest Dealer for Engine warranty?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

Yeah, i wasn’t inferring that you thought they were dumb. Sorry if my comments came off like that! And definitely Porsche factored in the cost of using a remanufactured engine vs a new crate engine. They must feel pretty confident using them, feeling the risk is pretty low. I have no insight into how they rebuild them, but i assume they dip them, inspect the internals, and QC them. There are a lot of other costs involved to get those engines back to the dealer, and then into the car, so i would not expect them to be cutting unnecessary corners. Financially, they want the replacement to be the last on their dime.

Still a crazy good deal for .1 GT3 owners, remanufactured or not. We’ll still have 1-2 years left on our engine warranties when the .2s are out of warranty.

I don't know where you get that from - its possible to extend the warranty through Porsche, out to fifteen years on the .2 (although this can vary by location).
Old 08-14-2020, 08:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by groundhog
I don't know where you get that from - its possible to extend the warranty through Porsche, out to fifteen years on the .2 (although this can vary by location).
Basic warranty to basic warranty. Both could have been extended.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:05 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

This extended warranty only covers the engine, and then only the internals. So CPO takes care of the PDK and all sorts of other things. BTW, how does she run with the new engine?
Just had my Engine Malfunction light on but says OK to drive and otherwise drives normal, First time having the Engine light on after standard warranty so I came back to this thread to refresh myself on the 10 year warranty. The extended limited warranty appears to cover the engine ONLY as related to this specific finger-follower issue. If the engine fails for any other reason looks like we're out of luck??
Old 08-17-2020, 05:36 PM
rsbenfield
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
Just had my Engine Malfunction light on but says OK to drive and otherwise drives normal, First time having the Engine light on after standard warranty so I came back to this thread to refresh myself on the 10 year warranty. The extended limited warranty appears to cover the engine ONLY as related to this specific finger-follower issue. If the engine fails for any other reason looks like we're out of luck??
Do you know what the Engine Malfunction light is for...i.e. have you had it diagnosed?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement