Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

918 Type Sport Bucket Seats News

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Porsche even offered a Meter Grey metallic MY2009 'Intro Package' Carrera 4S with these gt2 seats at special pricing! Let's have Dale tells us more about it:

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe For Sale Columbus Ohio - YouTube
This car is probably the biggest reason why so many cayman Rs and spyders do not have the bucket seats. Apparently dealers had a REALLY hard time selling these cars because nobody wanted bucket seats in a 911 C4S. Dealers then assumed that nobody would want these seats in the spyder and CR.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
This car is probably the biggest reason why so many cayman Rs and spyders do not have the bucket seats. Apparently dealers had a REALLY hard time selling these cars because nobody wanted bucket seats in a 911 C4S. Dealers then assumed that nobody would want these seats in the spyder and CR.
Correctamundo. Dealers didn't even want 'gt2 type 'sport bucket seats' on their gts's, .2 gt3's & .2 gt3 RS's in MY2010 & beyond, when these models became available! Most dealer specced gts & gt3's came with 'leather or leather/alcantara sport seats', not 'sport bucket seats'! And after MY2009, you will be really hard pressed finding a gt2 type seat on a regular 997! Dealers remembered these gt2 seats that were rammed down their throats on the 'Meteor Grey' intro Carrera 4S and they took a beating selling them at a loss!* PCNA made a major mistake in marketing that car this way and we 'sport bucket seat' enthusiasts have been paying the price ever since!

I still want to see someone document a regular US .2 987 (non Spyder/Cayman R) with factory sport bucket seats (gt2 type) delivered from factory that way here in the US of A! The first one that provides verifiable proof (Monroney/PCNA window sticker), I'll buy them a beer next time they are visiting Carmel!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*My local dealer offered me their 'Meteor Grey' Carrera 4S with gt2 seats at a price way below their invoice, plus all their PCNA 'trunk money' (incentive to sell left-over car). It was a true bloodbath for these dealers! BTW, some of these intro 'Meteor Grey' Carrera 4S apparently came with sport leather seats instead of the gt2 type buckets. I found some of those two back in the fall of 2009 when all of these 'sales' were taking place. These sold well...since the options (full leather, etc) were heavily discounted in the intro package and there was no objections to the leather sport seats!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I still want to see someone document a regular US .2 987 (non Spyder/Cayman R) with factory sport bucket seats (gt2 type) delivered from factory that way here in the US of A! The first one that provides verifiable proof (Monroney/PCNA window sticker), I'll buy them a beer next time they are visiting Carmel!
They are out there, whether you want to believe it or not. Looks like this may be one of them, but you will have to seek the "verifiable proof" on your own:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ket-seats.html
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

If we are talking sport bucket seats, I ordered my 2010 base (2.9) engine Cayman with sport bucket seats no problem. Most comfortable seat Porsche makes for my back. Traded the Cayman but have the same seat in my Spyder and GT 3. Wife likes them also
Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

So will Porsche produce a true lightweight version of these seats and or continue making the GT2 Sport Buckets? Seems odd that they would add a motorized feature and make the seat heavier.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
So will Porsche produce a true lightweight version of these seats and or continue making the GT2 Sport Buckets? Seems odd that they would add a motorized feature and make the seat heavier.
the day of the sports car is ending, maybe not for us but for the mass market and that mass market wants comfort. I had also heard somewhere that DOT had required that at least the drivers seat be height adjustable on all cars to accommodate shorter drivers. The next thing I hear is that all cars MUST have a back up camera by 2016. Don't get me wrong that is anise addition for vehicles towing as it makes hooking up a trailer a breeze, but all cars? Oh well I'm old and out of touch.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default We have a winner!

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I had also heard somewhere that DOT had required that at least the drivers seat be height adjustable on all cars to accommodate shorter drivers.
Correct.

Originally Posted by f4 plt
If we are talking sport bucket seats, I ordered my 2010 base (2.9) engine Cayman with sport bucket seats no problem. Most comfortable seat Porsche makes for my back. Traded the Cayman but have the same seat in my Spyder and GT 3. Wife likes them also
Thank you, Jack. I'll be buying you a beer during the PCA Parade in a few weeks' time. Wishing you safe travels from Texas to Monterey!

Saludos,
Eduardo
R Gruppe Treffen
Cambria, CA
Old 05-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Damn, and I was going to be Carmel in August...I'll scan a copy of my 2010 Cayman S sticker that shows bucket seats as a factory option. Enjoy the beer!

-Shawn
Old 05-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Gents:

I am having the following discussion with Macca in the 991 gt3 forum and would like those of you still 987 era gt2 type 'sport bucket seats' to answer a question for us. But first read the following two posts:

...we had the possibility to change 'rake' or 'pitch' on the 997/987 gt2 seats too...but that adjustability required removing the seat and making these 'adjustments'! Definitely neither convenient nor practical!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...seat-rake.html

Originally Posted by Macca
Eduardo. The adjustments I refer to did not involve taking the seat out (that I am aware), They involved taking the bolts out the side of the seat then replacing them on a different slot. I cant be any more precise because I want there to photograph...
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...website-2.html

So please take a look at the photo (attached below) of the current ROW gt2 type 'sport bucket seat' Porsche offers in 991/981 in markets outside North America. Are these side adjustments highlighted in the circle present in the 987/997 era gt2 type seats? Or are they a current 981/991 seat modification that was not present in our 987 Spyder/Cayman gt2 type sport buckets? And if these adjustments are in the 'old' .2 997/987 'sport bucket seats', did you need to take seat out to make the adjustments?

I personally don't recall these side adjustments nor remember a period conversation on our Rennlist forums about them.

Saludos,
Eduardo
R Gruppe Treffen
Cambria, CA

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 05:32 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Ed, based on the picture posted above, I don't see where the adjust-ability is.

I took a photo of my buckets and they don't look adjustable to me either.

Quick Reply: 918 Type Sport Bucket Seats News