Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhappy with 987 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Yeah black is a PITA, I can attest to that. But I don't mind since it's a fun car and I enjoy detailing. I just wish the car would stay cleaner longer.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am keeping mine for a long time. I need to get sport seats in that sucker, but my wife can't see out of the car with those seats. I wonder if they make seat inserts for smaller people? I have every other lightweight option except the seats. Damn!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not Spyder related, but how's the COTA??
Looks so awesome on TV!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I am keeping mine for a long time. I need to get sport seats in that sucker, but my wife can't see out of the car with those seats. I wonder if they make seat inserts for smaller people? I have every other lightweight option except the seats. Damn!
Are you sure about that? The bucket seats actually sit HIGHER than the sport heated seats. I know this because I used to have the heated sports seats before I swapped out to the buckets. To my surprise, I definitely sit higher with the buckets. Most taller guys have to take OUT the seat inserts to sit low enough.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGsound
Zeus993, did you buy it yet?
Not yet! I may need to pry it out of his hands!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I had a cushion made for my wife that lays on top of the seat cushion in our Spyder (another Aqua Blue) with sport buckets. When it is in it looks OEM and she can quickly just lift it out and put it in the 997 which also has sport bucket seats. She is 5'2" so the addition of this cushion makes it not only much easier for her to get in and out but sits her higher. Had a local shop make it and since then they have made several others for members having cars with sport buckets.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the bucket seats. My wife is 5'4". I went to Joannes Fabrics and bought foam inserts that are used to stuff seat cushions, seats etc. The foam comes in different thickness and density. I think I paid less than $10 for all of them. The bucket seats have the removable seat cushion. I put the foam under the seat.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Islay Single Malt Scotch Whiskey

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
The Spyder is a single malt. Not the most polarizing one, but IMO the best balanced one in recent years. There are plenty of other fancy cocktails out there. But I'd buy my car all over again, so keep my tap running.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's a good analogy. It makes me want to grab a nice smokey Islay, go out to the garage and drink in the Spyder's beauty while sipping on the whiskey.
Yes, I think I remember (but vaguely) something about the Spyder. Lucky I wrote most of it down on my threads (see below) before Alzheimer got to me. But until now, I didn't understand its relevance to me taking a strong liking to Single Malt Scotch Whiskies. And not any Single Malt Scotch, but to those specifically crafted in the Scottish island of Islay. The peatiest of the bunch! The ones that can be described as 'liquid smoke', the elixir of the Celtic gods of the Hebrides! But now that Clinton & Marine Blue brought it up, I have to confess about my new found passion after my experience with the Spyder. They are named Lagavulin, Laphroaig & Ardbeg! And I have a few more Islay & Jura distillers yet to get better acquainted!

The Islay Single Malts match my love for the Boxster Spyder. It is not by coincidence that the Spyder is the preferred ride of modern Celtic Gods and laymen alike!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

'Boxster Spyder Total Production' Thread:https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html

'Boxster Spyder - Tale of a Custom Order' Thread:https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...tom-order.html

'Custom Ordering a 981' Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...e-and-you.html

'Custom Ordering a 991' Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

'Visit to Zuffenhausen' Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...a-991-gt3.html

'918 Test Drive at The Thermal' Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...st-2013-a.html
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

You like the peaty ones my friend...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I would be curious to hear comparisons between the Lotus Elise/Exige and the Spyder (or the Boxster S).

Also, for the folks who compared the Boxster S with the Spyder, how much of the driver involvement and the sound of a Boxster S could approach the Spyder's by making a suspension upgrade and adding a PSE?

I recently sold my 06 Boxster S (which I loved since new) but am back contemplating a 987.2 Boxster S, Spyder, 981 Boxster S, and the Lotus Elise/Exige to add to (or, ugh, as a replacement for) my 996 GT3 which I also love.

EDIT: This would be for a weekend country-road carver and 4-5 track days a year. To be purely driven for joy -- not a daily driver.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AMGsound
Not Spyder related, but how's the COTA??
Looks so awesome on TV!
I am blessed to be near that track. I love it! Its live driving on a pool table.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Are you sure about that? The bucket seats actually sit HIGHER than the sport heated seats. I know this because I used to have the heated sports seats before I swapped out to the buckets. To my surprise, I definitely sit higher with the buckets. Most taller guys have to take OUT the seat inserts to sit low enough.
WOW! I has no idea. My seats are not heated. I put the sport seats in the GT3 and I swore that I dropped. You are very knowledgable so I trust you. I wanted the less weight!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I had a cushion made for my wife that lays on top of the seat cushion in our Spyder (another Aqua Blue) with sport buckets. When it is in it looks OEM and she can quickly just lift it out and put it in the 997 which also has sport bucket seats. She is 5'2" so the addition of this cushion makes it not only much easier for her to get in and out but sits her higher. Had a local shop make it and since then they have made several others for members having cars with sport buckets.
This is awesome….is there any way that you can hook me up with that shop..if they would have the measurements….or send a photo of what you had made? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:18 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

This is awesome….is there any way that you can hook me up with that shop..if they would have the measurements….or send a photo of what you had made? Thanks!
Sent you a PM with the info let me know if you have any questions

Jack
Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my Spyder for over 3 years now (10K miles). Like I have said many times before, this car is a keeper. I have had so many Porsches, I cant count. I usually would get bored with them after a year and sell them (Race car & Project car excluded). Not so with this masterpiece.

When I start to stray and think about a new PTS 991, I drive the Spyder and slap myself silly. My Wife (who has never even driven the Spyder yet, I guess she knows it's my toy), says we can never sell it. She did say once it is paid off (not far now! ) We can look at getting something else while still keeping it.

Word from the wise, DO NOT SETTLE on a Spyder. Get the Sport Buckets and 6 speed MT. These are what make the car what it is supposed to be (and help value for the rare case you ever sell it)

These are Collector cars plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Unhappy with 987 Spyder?