Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhappy with 987 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Unhappy with 987 Spyder?

I seem to always be on the hunt for a P-car with more character, more drama etc... and I keep landing back on the 987 Spyder. I am well aware of the roof issue etc... but those that have had one for a full year of seasons or two, anyone unhappy with it? Thinking of moving on or still enchanted by it's magic? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It's a keeper on so many levels.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and to this day I haven't had an interest in any other fun car except maybe an Aston Martin which is the complete opposite to the Spyder.

The Spyder is incredible to drive, it never fails to put a smile on my face and it consistently amazes me with its capabilities. The car communicates on a level I've never experienced with any other car. When the tires are properly inflated I can feel everything going on at each wheel. It's not over the top that it gets tiresome, it's just right. The hardest part of owning this car is not having super curvy roads to really enjoy it's capabilities. It's also tough to put it away for the winter. I was hoping this winter would be mild and I could drive it through but they salted the roads already and I don't want to expose it to that.

The other plus of the Spyder is its looks. It is stunning to look at with top up or down. It's very unique and the small changes to the body really enhance the 987's body lines.

Being rare it appears to be holding its value too which is an unexpected bonus.

I do wish Porsche went further with it including Titanium exhaust, additional upgrades to the suspension to allow for more adjustability and more power.

Have you test driven one with Sport Buckets?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It's a keeper on so many levels.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and to this day I haven't had an interest in any other fun car except maybe an Aston Martin which is the complete opposite to the Spyder.

The Spyder is incredible to drive, it never fails to put a smile on my face and it consistently amazes me with its capabilities. The car communicates on a level I've never experienced with any other car. When the tires are properly inflated I can feel everything going on at each wheel. It's not over the top that it gets tiresome, it's just right. The hardest part of owning this car is not having super curvy roads to really enjoy it's capabilities. It's also tough to put it away for the winter. I was hoping this winter would be mild and I could drive it through but they salted the roads already and I don't want to expose it to that.

The other plus of the Spyder is its looks. It is stunning to look at with top up or down. It's very unique and the small changes to the body really enhance the 987's body lines.

Being rare it appears to be holding its value too which is an unexpected bonus.

I do wish Porsche went further with it including Titanium exhaust, additional upgrades to the suspension to allow for more adjustability and more power.

Have you test driven one with Sport Buckets?
Nice. Thanks for your thoughts. I've not yet driven with the Sports Bucket seats but have driven the Adaptives. Very nice. The one I'm looking at this weekend has Adaptives, MT, Sport shifter Sport exhaust, Dynamic cornering lights, etc... a real drivers car.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:30 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This year was my second with the Spyder, Marine Blue's comments are both eloquent and IMO accurate. The sport buckets make you feel like you are putting on a dress shoe to drive with your entire body if that makes any sense. I find the car to have an amazing power band, many want the Spyder to have a larger engine, however to me, if anything, one must be always vigilant not to unleash the the entire beast on public roads. Any more HP and you would never get to hear the engine sing and that would be a huge loss as the sound is addicting, especially the pops and burbles the sport exhaust makes, I never use the radio! The handling is so good it's truly tough to imagine another sports car making you go "wow" in a curve, it's truly that good. The top can be a handful, one must watch the weather and respond early, a small price to pay for what is a very special to look at and drive automobile.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
This year was my second with the Spyder, Marine Blue's comments are both eloquent and IMO accurate. The sport buckets make you feel like you are putting on a dress shoe to drive with your entire body if that makes any sense. I find the car to have an amazing power band, many want the Spyder to have a larger engine, however to me, if anything, one must be always vigilant not to unleash the the entire beast on public roads. Any more HP and you would never get to hear the engine sing and that would be a huge loss as the sound is addicting, especially the pops and burbles the sport exhaust makes, I never use the radio! The handling is so good it's truly tough to imagine another sports car making you go "wow" in a curve, it's truly that good. The top can be a handful, one must watch the weather and respond early, a small price to pay for what is a very special to look at and drive automobile.
My exact sentiments on power. With the current harsh local climate on excessive speeding we're all feeling a bit limited. Believe it or not, my TT's has massive amount of power but I can rarely unleash it. So what happens is that I end up tooling around in first or second gear and not really experience very much of anything, especially in the TT that has a very quite exhaust system. Not that I am in any way complaining about being blessed to own this fine machine but like I said in my post, I'm looking for more drama, more fun, more edge at lower speeds, and with a top that comes off. I'm off tomorrow to look at this car:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/B...howcpo=ShowCPO
Old 11-30-2013, 03:38 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Hey best of luck to you, that looks like a beauty, based on what you said about the TT, I'll bet you will never want to part with the spyder once you drive it. Regarding tickets, I don't care who you are, you go into triple digits even an officer might get written by another angry on duty officer. Nothing would likely come of it but imagine what happens when you are just John Q Citizen. On the back roads the Spyder is so amazing at handling you can drive it fast, get your ya ya's out and not be blasting past eighty. I wish America had an Autobahn, i'd pay handsomely to drive on it or even an advanced training license that let you drive ninety, sign me up for that too.

PS Driving it with the top off not only increases the sonic experience, it makes you feel like you're racing without doing the racing. Love the tow hook front plate, if I ever need to put one on that's how I will go.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Good luck liking the Spyder after a silver/red Turbo Cab. Are you crazy?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:10 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhebert
He isn't expecting it to be as fast, if you read his posts he realizes it's going to need more winding of the engine which is what he desires. Frankly in a corner I'd give the Spyder an edge.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Have you seen or driven in a spyder? Turbo cab has ZERO appeal to me on so many levels. Whether or not you'll like a spyder really depends on what type of enthusiast you are, and what you are expecting from the car. The car is not for everyone. Certain people, ie mrhebert, don't get it. Yes, even if cost was not an issue, I would personally take a spyder over a turbo cab. Without hesistation.

As far as open top experiences go, it's tough to beat the spyder, which is why I have no intentions of ever getting rid of the car. I think certain cars would complement the spyder (cough, 991 GT3), but I wouldn't give up one for the other. The only car that would make me give up the spyder would be a 458 spyder, and I think that says a lot about how I feel about the car (owned for over 3 years at this point).
Old 11-30-2013, 05:27 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, even if cost was not an issue, I would personally take a spyder over a 991 'GT3'. Without hesitation.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Yes, even if cost was not an issue, I would personally take a spyder over a 991 'GT3'. Without hesitation.
I KNEW you would say that, Steve. LOL.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I KNEW you would say that, Steve. LOL.
I couldn't keep you waiting. As long as you keep the Spyder, Joe.

I finally saw it at the LA Auto Show. Based on photos, I expected to like its looks better than I did.

I looks like Porsche will sell all the Macans they can build, however.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best car I have ever owned. Period. Only car I have ever said "I will keep forever". DBS & M5 sit in garage while I drive Spyder everywhere. Don't hesitate. It's that good, and those who don't own one can't understand.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Awesome guys! Thanks! I'll post tomorrow after having a look at it.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

I understand your surprise but you really have to drive a few P-cars to really appreciate their differences. Botton line? They're all great. My previous 06 C2S coupe, with it's oh-so-wonderful wailing' cachaphonial M97 engine repleat with it's troublesome IMS bearing, would bring the hair up on yer arm at 4500 revs and above. The TT with its rattley GT1 Mezger has lots of power when the TT's kick in but it just doesn't sound like much. It's almost too quiet, too sophisticated. Maybe I'd miss the power of the TT but this is where my interest in the Spyder comes in - a great car with some soul, something to put a smile on your face with you light it up, seething to really keep the revs high while your wending through the back roads with the top down, the wind in your hair.

Quick Reply: Unhappy with 987 Spyder?