Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS 60 SPYDER official rennlist registry

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 04:55 PM
Duane Orth
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By Sport, do you mean the Sport Exhaust? Mine are independent. I have a Sport Exhaust button and a separate PASM (suspension stiffener) button.

Duane
Old 09-19-2023, 08:37 PM
rovsky
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duane Orth
By Sport, do you mean the Sport Exhaust? Mine are independent. I have a Sport Exhaust button and a separate PASM (suspension stiffener) button.

Duane
My car has Sport Chrono so it has 4 buttons in the console: wing up/down, shock image (PASM), "Sport", and PSM. The non-sport chrono have the exhaust tips in place of the "Sport" button.

The PASM button doesn't do anything on its own. It does light up and stiffen the suspension when "Sport" is pressed. Trying to understand if thats how its supposed to work (tied to sport mode) or should function independently.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:55 PM
joliver3
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rovsky
My car has Sport Chrono so it has 4 buttons in the console: wing up/down, shock image (PASM), "Sport", and PSM. The non-sport chrono have the exhaust tips in place of the "Sport" button.

The PASM button doesn't do anything on its own. It does light up and stiffen the suspension when "Sport" is pressed. Trying to understand if thats how its supposed to work (tied to sport mode) or should function independently.
Ah, the winner of the recent BAT auction! Congratulations and welcome! My #1491 is nearly the identical spec to your car, as far as I could tell from looking at the BAT listing. Yours has the bi-xenon headlamps and mine doesn't, but other than that and the mileage -- I'm up around 83k -- I believe they're the same.

I'm not sure what happens if you press the PASM (shock absorber icon) button by itself when you're not already in Sport mode. But if you are already in Sport mode, and you then press the PASM button, it will switch the dampers back to their Normal mode. This is the only way I can tolerate the overall Sport mode at all, since the sport mode of the suspension is over-controlled for driving on the moonscapes we call roads where I live. I honestly don't really like the quicker throttle response in Sport mode either, so I don't tend to use it all that often, but whenever I do, I switch the shocks back to Normal.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the car!

JO
Old 09-20-2023, 01:38 PM
rovsky
4th Gear

Originally Posted by joliver3
Ah, the winner of the recent BAT auction! Congratulations and welcome! My #1491 is nearly the identical spec to your car, as far as I could tell from looking at the BAT listing. Yours has the bi-xenon headlamps and mine doesn't, but other than that and the mileage -- I'm up around 83k -- I believe they're the same.

I'm not sure what happens if you press the PASM (shock absorber icon) button by itself when you're not already in Sport mode. But if you are already in Sport mode, and you then press the PASM button, it will switch the dampers back to their Normal mode. This is the only way I can tolerate the overall Sport mode at all, since the sport mode of the suspension is over-controlled for driving on the moonscapes we call roads where I live. I honestly don't really like the quicker throttle response in Sport mode either, so I don't tend to use it all that often, but whenever I do, I switch the shocks back to Normal.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the car!

JO
Yeah thats me! Thanks for the welcome

That helps! Do you also notice a change in the exhaust volume with Sport? Dealer told me these are special PSEs (providing the power bump) are not valved.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:32 PM
joliver3
Advanced

Originally Posted by rovsky
Yeah thats me! Thanks for the welcome

That helps! Do you also notice a change in the exhaust volume with Sport? Dealer told me these are special PSEs (providing the power bump) are not valved.
I have not actually noticed any difference in sound whether I'm in Sport mode or not, but my hearing is not the best. I've actually wondered about this myself, but whenever I'm under the car changing the oil, I forget to look for the valves on the exhaust. Since some of the RS 60's have the sport exhaust button on the dash and others (including mine) do not, I'm not sure what to think. I too have read that exhaust tuning / components were part of how they got the extra 8 hp, so maybe that would point towards the exhaust not being valved, but then was PSE an option on top of that, which got you the dash button? Don't know. My "build sheet" from VIN Analytics doesn't say anything about PSE, for what that's worth.

Maybe I'll remember to look at the exhaust this year when I change the oil before putting the car away for the winter.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:10 PM
rovsky
4th Gear

I looked this weekend and didn't see any valves or vacuum lines.

As for my PASM issue - I took apart the button housing in the center console and cleaned the pcb and other metal parts with rubbing alcohol, put it back together, and now it works as expected. Guess the button just wasn't making a good connection to register a press.

The following users liked this post:
joliver3 (09-24-2023)
Old 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
AlphaGa
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have #0981. It's the gray interior and resides in Atlanta.
FindingRush (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 04:42 PM
FindingRush
Track Day

Originally Posted by AlphaGa
Hello from a fellow Atlanta RS 60 owner! Did you happen to pick yours up from Hennessy Porsche North Atlanta? Mine is #0213.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:57 PM
AlphaGa
Intermediate

Actually from Perimeter P. Although Hennessy is my "go to".
Old 02-20-2024, 05:02 PM
FindingRush
Track Day

Seems like a decent example that's for sale at a good price for anyone looking - https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 02-21-2024, 03:45 PM
joliver3
Advanced

Got you added to the list, thanks!

Old 03-22-2024, 04:01 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

For the model experts on this thread, can you verify whether or not ALL RS60 editions had full leather or was it optional? If it was optional was a just black interior available or was it always colored a gray or red etc? I’m interested if any Cayman design edition ones, or RS60 Boxsters had standard black non leather interiors. Thanks
Old 03-23-2024, 08:04 PM
AlphaGa
Intermediate

The ‘08 RS60 Spyder lim edition was specific to the Boxster. It came in GT Silver Metallic paint color and the interior was a choice of Carrera Red (a new color at this time) or dark gray. Not sure if all interiors are full leather but I’ve not seen one that wasn’t. Roof color choices were red or black. Nathan Merz of PCA gives a great presentation of the history of the 987.1 (05-08) on utube. According to Nathan, it’s the 1st Boxster offered with a sports exhaust and 1st to surpass 300 hp (303 to be exact).
xpensivewino (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 09:53 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

The ‘08 RS60 Spyder lim edition was specific to the Boxster. It came in GT Silver Metallic paint color and the interior was a choice of Carrera Red (a new color at this time) or dark gray. Not sure if all interiors are full leather but I’ve not seen one that wasn’t. Roof color choices were red or black. Nathan Merz of PCA gives a great presentation of the history of the 987.1 (05-08) on utube. According to Nathan, it’s the 1st Boxster offered with a sports exhaust and 1st to surpass 300 hp (303 to be exact).

Thanks for the reply and the information. I also have not seen one without leather. I ask because I want to use the plaque specific glove box door of the Edition 1/ RS60 for a project, but I need one in non leather with the plain black pebble finish of a standard black interior. The question now begs, what’s under the leather? Do they use a standard black glovebox and cover it with leather, or is it a non finished smooth plastic door that’s used for leather covering? They’re around $200 in the used market, so I’d hate to buy one and ruin it if it’s not useable underneath.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
CoffeeBeige
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS 60 Tail Lights?

Hi all -

New member here. Have always loved these cars and I'm impressed by the dedication with which this group has kept up the "registry." Considering purchasing an RS 60 listed at Braman in Palm Beach but noticed something curious in looking through the photos. The rear tail lights appear to have different lenses? The one on the passenger side looks entirely red, whereas the one on the driver's side has more of a clear element. Now the CarFax does mention some prior damage (characterized as minor) to the rear, and I suspect one of these was replaced. I'm wondering a couple of things:
  • First, which of these two lenses is the original, and which is out of place? Did the RS 60 come with different lamps than a standard S in '08?
  • Are replacements (for whichever is the correct one) still readily available?
  • Should this sloppy repair concern me / warn me off of this particular vehicle?

Quick Reply: RS 60 SPYDER official rennlist registry