Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 04:09 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

don't know if it's the case here....but i don't think i'd trust a graph no matter how fancy from the same firm that charged me for the testing.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:14 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
don't know if it's the case here....but i don't think i'd trust a graph no matter how fancy from the same firm that charged me for the testing.
I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious here, but where I come from a chart is simply the visual representation of the data produced by the dyno run. What's not to trust?
Old 03-09-2023, 03:25 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Originally Posted by The Duke
I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious here, but where I come from a chart is simply the visual representation of the data produced by the dyno run. What's not to trust?
check with bernie madoff's clients that lost billions of dollars worth of investments. they were sent offical-looking "investment summaries" for decades showing false information as to how much money they were making...all of it false and all designed to give them what they wanted to hear. making up info that shows up on those charts is child's play.

the only way to come close to an accurate number is to compare two or three tests from different vendors and take an average. and guess what? they KNOW that 99.99% of clients will be satisfied being given, once, what they wanted to hear in the first place.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 03-09-2023 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:02 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

check with bernie madoff's clients that lost billions of dollars worth of investments. they were sent offical-looking "investment summaries" for decades showing false information as to how much money they were making...all of it false and all designed to give them what they wanted to hear. making up info that shows up on those charts is child's play.

the only way to come close to an accurate number is to compare two or three tests from different vendors and take an average. and guess what? they KNOW that 99.99% of clients will be satisfied being given, once, what they wanted to hear in the first place.
I'm probably super naive, but are shops that do tuning and dyno testing notoriously Bernie-Madoff dishonest? Or are we just prone to conspiracy theories?
Old 03-09-2023, 08:10 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by tiiger
I'm probably super naive, but are shops that do tuning and dyno testing notoriously Bernie-Madoff dishonest? Or are we just prone to conspiracy theories?
I have a visual image of this guy when I read his posts.

The following users liked this post:
tiiger (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 08:44 AM
NAMR6MT
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

No conspiracy theories going on with the dyno graph. It's legit. Don't focus on the peak numbers though for a few reasons. Rather, look at the gains between baseline and post-headers. There are significant increases from mid-top end regarding both power and torque. Maybe even more importantly, there aren't any dips anywhere in the entire rev range after the headers were installed. Unless there's a CEL, I don't really see a reason to tune unless A/F ration should be adjusted.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:39 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 302 Posts

I bought the headers lightly used from a local seller and installed them myself. Like most shops with in-house dynanometers, this one simply charges anyone and everyone who is willing to pay $150 for 3 dyno pulls with graphs. They do no tuning and don't even work on Porsches... it's a shop for Evos and Minis. The shop couldn't care less what the results are. I dyno'd the car a year ago and went back, they dyno'd it again, then overlaid the charts. The whole ordeal takes less than an hour and they literally just print it after the runs. There is no manipulating the graph... the program simply creates the graph while the car is still running on the machine.

Maybe you're not familiar with dynos?? Not sure what you are skeptical of.

Last edited by Zach L; 03-09-2023 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Glue Guy
impressive! Any negatives, or feedback from driving it?
No negatives. The sound is intoxicating.

Originally Posted by tiiger
Such skepticism of dyno graphs can only come from someone that lacks familiarity with them and how they work, and likely has never dyno'd a car. You literally see the graph made while the car is still on the dyno.

Originally Posted by ekam
I have a visual image of this guy when I read his posts.
lol for real!

Originally Posted by NAMR6MT
No conspiracy theories going on with the dyno graph. It's legit. Don't focus on the peak numbers though for a few reasons. Rather, look at the gains between baseline and post-headers. There are significant increases from mid-top end regarding both power and torque. Maybe even more importantly, there aren't any dips anywhere in the entire rev range after the headers were installed. Unless there's a CEL, I don't really see a reason to tune unless A/F ration should be adjusted.
There is a CEL because there's no cats on the car. It's been that way since they were installed 12 months ago. The only reason to get a tune is if someone doesn't want the light in their cluster. Doesn't really bother me. I'm tempted to get a tune just to do another dyno run to show how little difference it makes vs headers alone.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:28 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

bernie could make up a fake investment invoice while you waited. but the point is that people are fed what they want to hear from service companies that are dependent on satisfying their clients. it's simple human nature. ask the salesman at your next fitting if you look good in the $1500 suit you're trying on. or a any car salesman if the car you said you're interested in buying is any good. ask a maitre de of the food is any good. ask a ford executive if they make good cars. ask the president if GM is the leading EV company. get real...

such confidence in software and the dyno graphs they create (to take a cue from a contributor) can only come from someone that's not familiar with it, and how it works, and likely has never worked in the field where one can literally make the graph, made while the car is still on the dyno, look like anything that's necessary to satisfy the client..

simply saying that that dyno's are fallible and subjective and realistically, one needs multiple tests to get anything close to a realistic assessment of whatever's being tested. ..i think you all know that.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:52 AM
N_Jay
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,089 Posts

bernie could make up a fake investment invoice while you waited. but the point is that people are fed what they want to hear from service companies that are dependent on satisfying their clients. it's simple human nature. ask the salesman at your next fitting if you look good in the $1500 suit you're trying on. or a any car salesman if the car you said you're interested in buying is any good. ask a maitre de of the food is any good. ask a ford executive if they make good cars. ask the president if GM is the leading EV company. get real...

such confidence in software and the dyno graphs they create (to take a cue from a contributor) can only come from someone that's not familiar with it, and how it works, and likely has never worked in the field where one can literally make the graph, made while the car is still on the dyno, look like anything that's necessary to satisfy the client..

simply saying that that dyno's are fallible and subjective and realistically, one needs multiple tests to get anything close to a realistic assessment of whatever's being tested. ..i think you all know that.
Do you know what a Dynomometer is measuring and where teh data comes from?
Old 03-10-2023, 03:23 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

How do we know the car being dyno'd is actual a car? You need at least three opinions from experts before you can, in fact, claim what you have is actual a car. Wake up sheeple.
The following 2 users liked this post by plafondles:
CAinCA (03-10-2023), sectachrome (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 04:20 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by plafondles
How do we know the car being dyno'd is actual a car? You need at least three opinions from experts before you can, in fact, claim what you have is actual a car. Wake up sheeple.
Hey, you don't know we really landed on the Moon, do ya?
Old 03-10-2023, 04:22 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Getting back to earth, I can tell from my butt dyno when I've added 10percent more power. Zach L how does it feel subjectively?
Old 03-10-2023, 07:06 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

What you're implying with that analogy is that the same business who runs the dyno also manufacturers and/or sells the headers. The headers were bought used. The dyno place....you know what never mind
Old 03-10-2023, 08:33 PM
antwon412
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 40 Posts

Ordered a new OEM window regulator for my passenger side. And some replacement trim pieces/panels to replace what the paint shop broke.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?