Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

The following users liked this post:
CW987 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Im really hoping you raised the seats quite a bit because the way your harness is installed on the still pic from your video is all kinds of wrong. Im sure you know that you want a downward angle from the seat holes to whatever you use for the harness bar
Old 05-26-2020, 09:25 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Shoulder harnesses have an acceptable angle range from 10° above shoulder level to 20° below shoulder level.

Where they are currently mounted, they're at 5° above shoulder level with my short torso and perfectly level with my wife's long torso. So no problems there.
Eventually I'll weld in a new harness bar to the factory roll bar in a way that doesn't obstruct engine access or interfere with the roof, but this is perfectly acceptable for any event.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Shoulder harnesses have an acceptable angle range from 10° above shoulder level to 20° below shoulder level.

Where they are currently mounted, they're at 5° above shoulder level with my short torso and perfectly level with my wife's long torso. So no problems there.
Eventua

lly I'll weld in a new harness bar to the factory roll bar in a way that doesn't obstruct engine access or interfere with the roof, but this is perfectly acceptable for any event.
I disagree. Just about every resource states that there should be no upward angle. Heres a pretty clear one:

"Shoulder belts run down from HANS or shoulder to the harness bar at an angle from zero degrees to a max of negative 30 degrees. In no case should the shoulder belt run at an upward angle from the shoulder or HANS to the attachment points."

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...acing-harness/
Old 05-29-2020, 08:40 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Even if you Google "Racing Harness Angle," half the images show an upwards angle of up to 10 degrees being acceptable.
But the problem is that this varies between every car. What's considered acceptable for a Miata isn't the same for a Boxster. What's acceptable for a Civic isn't the same as a Mini.
The internet has search results that back any side of a debate, including claims that the world is flat.

Not disregarding what you're saying. Safety is important and eventually, I'd like to build something like this:

It seems pretty common to see Porsches with harness mounting locations slightly higher than shoulder height.

This one is all kinds of wrong.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:49 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

My dad gave me these little Porsche logo door latch cover pieces, so I threw those on. I like the subtle details.

It was time for new front tires, so prior to getting the tires mounted, I paint-matched the barrels. It always bothered me that the faces were Carrera white but the barrels were grey.

My top 10 tips when getting new tires mounted...

Lastly, I installed an iSimple FM modulator after reading about suggestions on here.

I ended up going with the aux option (not bluetooth) since I got it from a friend. https://amzn.to/2VunX65

Had to buy this antenna adapter. https://amzn.to/2BOvnKu

Then utilized an old Kinivo Aux to Bluetooth adapter I had laying around. https://amzn.to/2COsoCh

Sound quality is just as good as any FM station, which is good enough for me, especially in a convertible.

My phone automatically connects within seconds and is ready to stream music.

Call quality is okay at best; forget about calls when the roof is down.

But for just recycling a bunch of old electronic gadgets, I'm pleased with the results.

BigBob (02-16-2021)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:57 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Got invited back to Caffeine and Exotics, last weekend was their first show of the year.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Battery died, so I replaced it with an Optima RedTop.

Only minor modification required using the factory bracket part, so easily reversible.

I don't think my underdrive pulley is to blame, as the old battery was from 2011.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:51 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Saturday morning grocery shopping.

Sunday morning whitewater kayaking.

Monday morning sunrise.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:15 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

The following 2 users liked this post by MyNameIdeasWereT:
BigBob (02-16-2021), Julian_KCMO (09-09-2022)
Old 08-19-2020, 12:24 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Old 08-25-2020, 08:54 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

I have scoured the internet for 987 (with rain sensor) rear view mirror adhesive with no luck.

Everyone suggests LockTite or Permatex, but I tried these and they do not hold. The problem is that the metal disc has a very thin ridge that doesn't provide a large contact surface with the glass. It appears as if there should be a 1mm thick adhesive tape that could be used, but I can't find anything... Links or suggestions?

I discovered that the previous owner had unloaded an entire tube of epoxy to hold the mirror in place. They covered the rain sensor as well, which explains why it has never worked. So I have no point of reference for how the metal disc is supposed to be held in place.

In other news, this month marks 2 years of ownership! What started as a track build journey and is now being de-modified into a street car. Still enjoying it though!

palestar (11-10-2021)
Old 08-26-2020, 08:23 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Here you can see what I'm working with. Most cars have a flat button that adheres to the windshield, this has a disc that goes around the rain sensor. But the tiny ridge on the disc suggests that Porsche must use an adhesive pad or putty on the convex surface, because that thin ridge isn't enough contact surface with the glass. I picked up some JB weld epoxy putty that claims to be suitable for both metal and glass, so I'll try that next.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:02 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

A Porsche dealership parts department could probably help you out.

EDIT:
I went out and looked at the PET for the 987.1 and it did not show a separate bracket/mount for the interior mirror. I also looked at the section on the window glass and the illustration showed a part #3 that was a small square placed at the top of the windshield but there was no #3 in the parts list. It went from #2 (Gasket) to #4 (Gasket Adhesive Set) without a description for #3 shown in the diagram. Here's the URL for the 987 PET: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...87_KATALOG.pdf

Last edited by TMc993; 08-26-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread