Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I have no problem with the stock shifter throw, but the height of the shift **** really bothers me. It's not in a position where I intuitively grab it and if I'm just cruising with my elbow on the arm rest, I don't want to reach upward to change gears.
Any easy ways to shorten it? I'm thinking I may just pull the assembly, cut down the metal rod, and put on an aftermarket shift ****.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:49 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

One of my convertible top arm ends was broken, so I replaced both sides with the steel replacements.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting, may have to consider for my track car. Is it cleared through PCA ? Any issues with running at AMP or RA ?

Old 09-26-2018, 10:41 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
Interesting, may have to consider for my track car. Is it cleared through PCA ? Any issues with running at AMP or RA ?
I assume you're asking about the cage? I haven't taken this car to any events yet, so I'm not sure. But it meets the requirements for JZilla, JustTrackIt, and SCCA, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Love your seats! Curious how high you sit in those. Do they pass the broom test?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:01 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
One of my convertible top arm ends was broken, so I replaced both sides with the steel replacements.

I guess you're not aware that part is designed to remove stress and eventually break to prevent damaging other (read: more expensive) components of the soft top, hence why it's made of plastic instead of metal.
The following users liked this post:
rdcyclist (06-04-2024)
Old 09-27-2018, 04:57 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by ekam
I guess you're not aware that part is designed to remove stress and eventually break to prevent damaging other (read: more expensive) components of the soft top, hence why it's made of plastic instead of metal.
When it broke, the other side popped off and the whole roof came crashing down. I was worried the arm that popped off was going to puncture the soft top.
I'll take my chances with the steel ends.

I'm very apprehensive about convertible tops and pay close attention to it when in operation, even more so since it fell on its own. So I'll be sure to stop it if things seem like they're going wrong.

But a damaged roof will just be an excuse for weight reduction and a custom top, so there's light around every corner.
rdcyclist (06-04-2024)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
+1

This... easy and cheap part to replace. I keep one or two in the glove box, have had to replace two on my 65k Boxster S. Else, top gets LOTS of use and up/down cycles, often multiple per day.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-27-2018, 09:03 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
This... easy and cheap part to replace. I keep one or two in the glove box, have had to replace two on my 65k Boxster S. Else, top gets LOTS of use and up/down cycles, often multiple per day.
If you have to keep replacing these, that sounds like something is misaligned with your roof, adding unnecessary stress and causing them to break.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

+1

Just my 2 cents...
I've had my 986 for 10 years and sold it with 140k miles I never had to replace them.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:27 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I assume you're asking about the cage? I haven't taken this car to any events yet, so I'm not sure. But it meets the requirements for JZilla, JustTrackIt, and SCCA, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Love your seats! Curious how high you sit in those. Do they pass the broom test?
No issue at SCCA Track Night events. Going to do a few NASA HPDE in the fall. I've run with the top up so far.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Got a set of Porsche rubber floor mats. I've always preferred rubber over carpet.

Swapped the main interior bulbs to LEDs and added my ricey touch of blue LEDs for the foot well lights. Since they're just the foot well bulbs, they only illuminate when the doors open. I like the splash of color and they compliment the other blue accents on the car.

Bubbabuzz (09-21-2020)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

If you have to keep replacing these, that sounds like something is misaligned with your roof, adding unnecessary stress and causing them to break.
Tough to say, I guess. The pitch on the replacement bits below is perfectly consistent with my experience with the 987.1. I imagine the 981 design may differ.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-1997-2012-Convertible-Top-Push-Rod-Repair-OEM-Ball-Joint-Pair-2/191595585977?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Top has been completely checked for alignment and operation. One plastic ball join broke on one side... much later one broke an the other side. I replaced each and all works great. 13-year old original top.

I will say the top gets many cycles in my use. Typical day is open / close cycled maybe 2 - 4 times for up to 9 months of the year, sometimes more. Winter... much less so. By my math, that's maybe 800+ complete cycles a year. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I'll be curious to know what the whole top mech and assembly weighs if you choose to remove it altogether.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:06 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Top has been completely checked for alignment and operation. One plastic ball join broke on one side... much later one broke an the other side. I replaced each and all works great. 13-year old original top.

I'll be curious to know what the whole top mech and assembly weighs if you choose to remove it altogether.
I accept that Porsche designed the part to break so more costly things don't get damaged (though my rod popping off and pointing straight into the soft top as it fell down could debate that). But it still seems like a part that is more likely to break due to its own weakness and not just as a safety measure. Your comment of having two break (with age/use and not due to other mechanical failure) is a perfect example...

Porsche can claim whatever they want to about the design, but they are fully aware of their own cost and weight savings by using plastics. Same reason why so many things on these cars are held on with single use plastic and aluminum rivets, rather than screws.

On the 987 with the glass window, the soft top probably weighed about 50lbs when I had it out. But then you could also remove the motor assemblies and other associated components. Removing it entirely would be a fairly significant weight savings and most of that weight sits pretty high in the car, so you'd also be lowering your roll center.

Speaking of... Why did Porsche mount the battery so high on these cars? I may gut the frunk and relocate it as low as possible.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:52 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Bolted my fire extinguisher bracket to the roll cage, directly behind the driver's seat for easy access when exiting the vehicle.

All vehicles should be required to carry fire extinguishers; I know some countries make it mandatory.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

I picked up a set of Godspeed coilovers and adjustable toe arms for a ridiculously low price, brand new in box but previously opened and returned. I share the general opinion of Godspeed products and if these last me two seasons, I'll be surprised and happy. In the meantime, it's nice having something with adjustable dampening, lowering, and built in camber plates.

I'm honestly very impressed... Compared to my experience with H&R, Bilstein, and K&W on Ford, Mazda, and Volvo, I would consider these better than H&R and Bilstein, but time will tell... The amount of adjustability has allowed me to test various settings over the last few weeks and dial in something that is comfortable, sits the way I want, responds very well to the road, and isn't bouncy.

Install took about 2 hours and adjustments only take seconds.

I fully expect that I'll have to replace these in the not-so-distant future. But considering that they cost me less than 20% of any other 987 coilovers (many with less adjustment options), these will hold me off for the next year.

Quick Reply: MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread