Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My SA is going to kill me. I have changed my configuration 3 times. Now that I see the black wheels, I like them!
Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 AM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Rear windshield

Hello members, could anyone please inform me to what kind of material is used for the rear windshield?

Is it, glass, or plexi glass, or plastic like the gen 1

Thx!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Hello members, could anyone please inform me to what kind of material is used for the rear windshield?

Thx!
plastic
Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash

Thx!
"ABOUT THE 2015 BOXSTER SPYDER TOP

The top itself is 22lbs lighter than that of a regular Boxster. The weight savings comes from reduced sound deadening material in the roofline, a flexible plastic rear window vs. a glass one and the lack of motors and gearing required for a fully electrical operating top...
"

http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-bo...top-operation/

It's apparently a rigid, thicker plastic fixed /part of the folding top. And it's certainly not 'clear plastic' wavy & flexible stuff we got on the secondary part (to rain proof) of the 'Bimini' sun cover on the original 987 Spyder! That part of the 'sun cover' we rolled into its storage location in the rear!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Traben-Trarbach, Germany
Old 07-22-2015, 08:25 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

After watching the video I don't see that it is any faster or less labor required than removing or replacing the top on the 987 Spyder which actually is a piece of cake and a less than 5 minute procedure
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 AM
tbc417
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Hey Bob:

I heard about the 'Legend of El Dorado'. Is that the same guy? He was that Spanish dude always searching for those elusive (& fugly) 'Lime Gold Metallic' 991/981's?

Saludos,
Eduardo...or what ever!
Still in an unusually 'hot' Germany.
Eduardo is there anyone I could contact at PCNA directly to try and see if they would work with me on moving my build date for pts? Or is that something they would only talk to the dealership about? I remember reading in the past that some people had some luck securing LWB by contacting pcna directly. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Tyler
Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 AM
tbc417
Intermediate

only problem is calling PCNA directly would probably get me no where..... anyone have contact info for anyone at PCNA that would be able to help with changing my build date for PTS?

I know this is a long shot but I plan on having this car for a long time and it would be awesome to be able to have it in a special color. Specifically im trying to get it in slate grey 6601 615. So we would also finally have a better look at what that actually looks like!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

It's apparently a rigid, thicker plastic fixed /part of the folding top. And it's certainly not 'clear plastic' wavy & flexible stuff we got on the secondary part (to rain proof) of the 'Bimini' sun cover on the original 987 Spyder! That part of the 'sun cover' we rolled into its storage location in the rear!
The 2016 top's rear window is still flexible plastic, the same type of material as on the original. However it is thicker, and critically it stores flat. Thus it should last far longer than the first Spyder's without getting distorted.
Originally Posted by f4 plt
After watching the video I don't see that it is any faster or less labor required than removing or replacing the top on the 987 Spyder which actually is a piece of cake and a less than 5 minute procedure
It took me less than a minute to get the new Spyder's top up on my first try. I suspect with practice it'd be closer to 2/3 of that time.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey Bob:

I heard about the 'Legend of El Dorado'. Is that the same guy? He was that Spanish dude always searching for those elusive (& fugly) 'Lime Gold Metallic' 991/981's?

Saludos,
Eduardo...or what ever!
Still in an unusually 'hot' Germany.
Hello Eduardo,

I was hoping he was searching for the elusive seat warmers for LWBs!

Looks like you are having a great trip, look forward to catching up at Rennsport.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Hello Eduardo,

I was hoping he was searching for the elusive seat warmers for LWBs!

Looks like you are having a great trip, look forward to catching up at Rennsport.
Orthojoe has that info I believe.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:33 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Orthojoe has that info I believe.
Sorta…he had sports seats with seat warmers before he put in the buckets, so the switch/wiring/fuse was already in place.

Thread for reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689

Everthing else I have seen does not pass the smell test for me.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/04/porsche/boxster/

This review is strange. Weird undercurrent of paranoia and cynicism. Seems like he does not appreciate Porsches or is skeptical of their merits. He says a lot of great things but then he ends uninterested in the car while admonishing us to get sunscreen for the impending ecological disaster. Credit is due because he really does write a lot of clear prose and opinions.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was a positive review. My read about the sunscreen was that you'll need it with all the top down driving you'll be doing.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default 981 Spyder!!!!

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
I thought it was a positive review. My read about the sunscreen was that you'll need it with all the top down driving you'll be doing.
Yea, exactly.. I didn't sense any cyclical undercurrent at all.. Maybe jealousy that he couldn't buy one?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea, exactly.. I didn't sense any cyclical undercurrent at all.. Maybe jealousy that he couldn't buy one?
I didn’t see that at all either. The reviewer likes the car; he just doesn’t buy all of Porsche’s marketeering propaganda.

All of his criticisms (the needlessly complex top, the purposely detuned engine, the questionable weight savings claims, the tall gearing) have been discussed here and on other forums. And even among the most devoted fanboys, there has been discussion about whether the 981 Spyder looks as good as the 987 Spyder ...

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!