Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
note to self, no ptv no lsd just louder fart, but very sporty sounding fart.
Sport exhaust rules, but keep in mind that the 981 guys with sport exhausts do not pass sound at Laguna even when switched to OFF. :-(
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Sport exhaust rules, but keep in mind that the 981 guys with sport exhausts do not pass sound at Laguna even when switched to OFF. :-(
Really...damn...was going to do the DE at PCA Parade. Oh well...better to know now then get there and get booted.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Really...damn...was going to do the DE at PCA Parade. Oh well...better to know now then get there and get booted.
Unfortunately, yes. I learned this from some of the guys over at P-9 who have been tracking their 981s.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On the configurator, under standard features, it states the engine having 315 HP and does not state that sport chrono is standard. What gives? Is the configurator website just not up to speed?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by il pirata
You just need to lift as you pass the sound booth.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
On the configurator, under standard features, it states the engine having 315 HP and does not state that sport chrono is standard. What gives? Is the configurator website just not up to speed?
Parts of the configurator are not completely updated yet. Just go to the section where it say "Build Your Porsche." To the right side of the page below where it lists the price there is a section - "Technical specifications."

It says 330 HP at 6700 RPM and 273 lb/ft of torque between 4500 and 5800 RPM. Curb weight 2965.

PS. I found on the configurator that it DOES say that sport chrono is standard on the GTS.

Last edited by Dino944; 03-20-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
It says 330 HP at 6700 RPM and 273 lb/ft of torque between 4500 and 5800 RPM. Curb weight 2965.
Wow, that's only +5 peak HP and 55 pounds heavier (if stick).
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by triode
Wow, that's only +5 peak HP and 55 pounds heavier (if stick).
Well, it could be that the curb weight of GTS includes things that are not standard on the S, but which might add weight such as 20" wheels, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, leather/alcantara interior, etc. If you added those options to an S...perhaps you will end up at the same curb weight as a GTS. In the end, the power increase isn't really significant and there is no weight reduction, so the performance numbers and handling should be about the same. I think Porsche claims .1 seconds faster to 60 on a GTS than on the respective Cayman and Boxster S models.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

In the end, the power increase isn't really significant and there is no weight reduction, so the performance numbers and handling should be about the same.
Further to your point, no unique suspension tuning, either; just standard PASM (also part of that bit of added weight over an S, I expect) and optional X73.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Parts of the configurator are not completely updated yet. Just go to the section where it say "Build Your Porsche." To the right side of the page below where it lists the price there is a section - "Technical specifications."

PS. I found on the configurator that it DOES say that sport chrono is standard on the GTS.
Well, it could be that the curb weight of GTS includes things that are not standard on the S, but which might add weight such as 20" wheels, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, leather/alcantara interior, etc. If you added those options to an S...perhaps you will end up at the same curb weight as a GTS. In the end, the power increase isn't really significant and there is no weight reduction, so the performance numbers and handling should be about the same. I think Porsche claims .1 seconds faster to 60 on a GTS than on the respective Cayman and Boxster S models.
Think you're right, it would also be interesting to get a stripper and comp. optioned S weighed on accurate scales.
As a comparison, my stripper '10 S on good scales weighed right at 2976 which was Porsche's claim for the model, while I had zero options.
My stripper '12 R weighed right at 2862 on good scales which was claimed for the R in general (2855+7 steel brakes) while I also had zero options on that car.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Further to your point, no unique suspension tuning, either; just standard PASM (also part of that bit of added weight over an S, I expect) and optional X73.
I am not sure if the PASM suspension for the GTS has not been calibrated differently or 'enhanced' in some way. After all, 'the body is 10 mm lower than that of the Cayman S'. I would like to think that has been the case. I hope someone inquires soon to see if the 'springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer' (to see if that is how they got the body 10mm lower in the GTS). That would be very positive news. However, SPASM in the 991 model is package sold in conjunction with PTV & PTV Plus (Torque Vectoring), which is available as an option in the GTS but it's not included in the 'base' package! So that is not a good 'sign' for the GTS having Sport Pasm (SPASM) as we know it! I am certain that Pete Stout at Panorama and his former colleagues at Excellence will be investigating all of these details shortly in their respective publications, as well as the European motoring press!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
I am not sure if the PASM suspension for the GTS has not been calibrated differently or 'enhanced' in some way. After all, 'the body is 10 mm lower than that of the Cayman S'. I would like to think that has been the case. I hope someone inquires soon to see if the 'springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer' (to see if that is how they got the body 10mm lower in the GTS).
I guess we will have to wait and see if there are more details about the PASM system (springs & roll bars) in the GTS. However, I would not presume there are any changes to the springs etc just because information says the GTS body is 10 mm lower than the S. ALL Boxsters and Caymans that are equipped with PASM are 10 mm lower than the standard body height. Remember, in an S there is the standard suspension, then there are the extra cost PASM suspension with 10mm drop, and extra cost X73 with 20mm drop. The GTS comes standard equipped with PASM, therefore its starting set up is 10mm lower than the standard set up in an S...just like all PASM equipped Boxsters and Caymans.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Exactly.

Eduardo, surely you didn't just get sucked in by Porsche's marketing machine?!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As for the HP increase in the GTS models, is it correct to assume that the Boxster is up to 330 and the Cayman is now at 340 HP?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Carmine Red Metallic...
Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Carmine Red "METALLIC" ??
Early last week I was disappointed to read that Porsche had dropped Amaranth Red from the configurator, it was my 1st color choice for a new Cayman build. When to my dealer just to make sure about this and also to look at the color samples, again.. Took the Amaranth and Carmine samples out in the sun, I could not see any metallic in the Carmine. I thought maybe it had a little pearl in it but if did it was so fine as to hardly be noticeable. The sales manage said he did not see any pearl and considered it to be a solid color. If you notice in the configurator the other 2 special colors specifically say metallic but not the Carmine.
Also, the sales manage noticed that his Cayman/Boxster configurators still had the Amaranth color listed, even though it has been removed from the public version. I asked if maybe it might still be available for a while, so he tested it by changing the color on one of his current inventory builds and was able to save it. Hopefully it will be available for the rest of MY2014 ?? I don't understand Porsche not having at least one metallic or pearl red color available on any of the sport models.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS