Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No kidding! And its Pobst. I don't drink, but I'm pretty sure Pabst is a beer.
WHAT?!?!?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
WHAT?!?!?
LOL. I college, it was asian red man. The only time I would get a nice buzz would be AFTER I barfed. Then, 2 years ago I actually became allergic to alcohol. Not just redman. Hives, wheezing, hard time breathing.... real allergy.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! I was hoping nobody noticed my typo! Pobst!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as adfertised the 3.4 cayman DFI GTS engine has more peak torque than the 996 3.6 x51 engine

the x51 was marketed @ 345 hp but really produced 364 hp

maybe they have different camshaft profile in the cayman DFI motor... 340hp is definitely underrated but I'd love to see a dyno/torque curve
Old 05-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I contemplated ordering a Cayman GTS. Went online and did the configuration on the site. Had been speaking with the sales rep where I have purchased/leased 80% of the Porsche cars I have had since the 80's. The rep I was speaking with left for a new position/promotion at another dealer. I was contacted by a manager at the existing dealer and they advised that the rep had left I explained that I was contemplating ordering a GTS but wasn't sure on proceeding or not. I gave the manager the code from the configurator on the Porsche site so they could access and review it. I very quickly received a call to my cell phone and then an email about how they would review etc...minutes after that email I received another stating how lucky I was as they had one allocation for June and that I had to get the order in today along with a $20K Non-refundable deposit. I have never had to place more than a $500 deposit for any of the Porsche cars I have ordered through them. I let them know they could share the allocation with someone else and that I would not be ordering the car. Has anyone else had a dealer where they have had a long term relationship with experience the Non-refundable deposit request?
Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

20k non-refundable deposit for a 20+ year returning customer is a slap in the face unless you're intending to order a pink PTS car. I would tell them to take their allocation and shove it....
Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 88 Posts

Order with X73, 6MT, PCCB and buckets and you have their best drivers car IMHO.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...and_specs.html
Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I contemplated ordering a Cayman GTS. Went online and did the configuration on the site. Had been speaking with the sales rep where I have purchased/leased 80% of the Porsche cars I have had since the 80's. The rep I was speaking with left for a new position/promotion at another dealer. I was contacted by a manager at the existing dealer and they advised that the rep had left I explained that I was contemplating ordering a GTS but wasn't sure on proceeding or not. I gave the manager the code from the configurator on the Porsche site so they could access and review it. I very quickly received a call to my cell phone and then an email about how they would review etc...minutes after that email I received another stating how lucky I was as they had one allocation for June and that I had to get the order in today along with a $20K Non-refundable deposit. I have never had to place more than a $500 deposit for any of the Porsche cars I have ordered through them. I let them know they could share the allocation with someone else and that I would not be ordering the car. Has anyone else had a dealer where they have had a long term relationship with experience the Non-refundable deposit request?
I had one dealer ask for 10k non refundable for a "Mexico Blue" Panamera request, but also had another dealer within 100 miles say they would do fully refundable for $2500. I think the one dealer was obviously scared of the color if I backed out, but there were plenty of others willing to take it. 20k on a Cayman GTS is redonkulous!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

The spec was heavy from an option standpoint which is consistent with how I have ordered other cars. The color carmine red with black interior I will post up the config later this evening. I have to admit I was a little put off by the experience. I could see it to a degree if I had a pattern of behavior of heavily optioning cars and then backing out.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
Order with X73, 6MT, PCCB and buckets and you have their best drivers car IMHO.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...and_specs.html
1+/ 100% agreed.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The spec was heavy from an option standpoint which is consistent with how I have ordered other cars. The color carmine red with black interior I will post up the config later this evening. I have to admit I was a little put off by the experience. I could see it to a degree if I had a pattern of behavior of heavily optioning cars and then backing out.
I suggest you contact the saleseman that left for the other dealer. Was it Anthony?
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I had to get the order in today along with a $20K Non-refundable deposit.
Steve: A Porsche dealer is an independent business entity. They can request anything...as long as it's legal. In CA, consumer rights are such that any deposit is usually 100% refundable. That includes a PTS custom order! The 'refundable deposit' might also be true with many other states in our Union. Check NJ's laws.

There are plenty of dealers in the US that will give you a better deal. I have a friendly dealer in Colorado that I strongly recommend. Nothing better than a 'Rocky Mountain High' Porsche delivery experience...and then a drive across the US of A! I can even get you a 'Dinah Shore' CD to make the trip back to Jersey more enjoyable! Just imagine driving a Chevy instead of a Porsche and you're set!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO

Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Genuine question -- who here genuinely has an allocation? I gave my dealership a $2500 (refundable) deposit back in September. I'm first in the queue, and they're a Premier dealer. However, they still haven't been given an allocation.

I've been in "the bucket" for getting close to 2 months now. Starting to wonder if they didn't get one in their allocation draw and they're failing to tell me this (which means summer will be long over before I get my car).
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

My friend has a 'real' allocation. Order placed, commission number given. It seems like all the dealers have been given one allocation each so far.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My friend has a 'real' allocation. Order placed, commission number given. It seems like all the dealers have been given one allocation each so far.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you possibly know the approximate date in which this occurred?

Getting antsy. :\ Saved for a bit over 7 years at this point, popped the deposit down to last year to ensure I was first in line, and getting the feeling I'm going to be waiting much longer than most.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS