Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,584 Likes on 605 Posts
Default Shaken...

Originally Posted by TEF
Kuro Neko given the age of your Porsche, have you encountered any issues or problems passing the rigorous government vehicle inspections beginning at the three-year mark? When I lived in Japan I drove an aging Volvo turbo wagon, but it was exempt from these inspections. However, I was told by local nationals working at the Embassy that it was terribly expensive to retain an older vehicle because of this inspection. Given that most Japanese probably drive less than 5K miles a year, it seemed that these inspections were a de facto scheme to prop up the Japanese car industry.
The Cayman now needs shaken every two years.
In the two I've had, it has needed front damper dust boots and bump stops - that's it.

As you suggest though, it's a complicated and sometimes expensive process.
It does not have to be though, and more info here if you're desperate for detailed reading on Japanese processes.

Curiously, I had shaken a few weeks ago, and here's some pics from the run...

Always love seeing a nice Ghia.
No silly narrowed beam or hipster roof rack, just a nice set of chrome 14s.

Clear roads, always good.

Tokyo has many old buildings still, nestled between newer stuff.
In some places, they are being reformed and used in new ways.

Tokyo Sky Tree.

Shaken buddies - S4 and Zenki C2.

Fresh oil, new filters, brake pads, and a clear run home ...

Old 11-21-2020, 10:48 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Your comment about the shaken being less complicated than commonly percieved is interesting. Based on stories about $200 watermelons and tuna auctioning for $10k, one is often surprised by how inexpensive other things can be. I recall going to a small body shop in Akasaka Mitsuke to repair a damaged fender and light on my '87 Volvo wagon and the charge was only about $200. The paint match was extraordinary and body work flawless. In the US, i would have paid three or four times the price. Like my body shop experience, presumably you've found that tales of expensive shakens to be exaggerated. Given the culture, it would be a rare Japanese to actually challenge the common perception. Instead they bought new cars rather than face the dreaded shaken.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:02 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TEF
Your comment about the shaken being less complicated than commonly percieved is interesting. Based on stories about $200 watermelons and tuna auctioning for $10k, one is often surprised by how inexpensive other things can be. I recall going to a small body shop in Akasaka Mitsuke to repair a damaged fender and light on my '87 Volvo wagon and the charge was only about $200. The paint match was extraordinary and body work flawless. In the US, i would have paid three or four times the price. Like my body shop experience, presumably you've found that tales of expensive shakens to be exaggerated. Given the culture, it would be a rare Japanese to actually challenge the common perception. Instead they bought new cars rather than face the dreaded shaken.
Indeed, Japan has always had real world prices for most things, you just needed to know where to look.
Tales of $10,000 tuna abound still - notably as in this case, the buyer owns a restaurant chain and it gets his name out there for advertising like crazy.
People are still willing to pay $3000 for lunch to say they sat where presidents have, and similar.
Plus, the foreign press needs their regular isn't-Japan-crazy piece, and this continues the cycle.

The rest of us, live in the real world...

Which isn't so new and shiny sometimes:

This Silvia and Alfa GT drivers, perhaps taking the 'Long Credit Parking' too literally.
Though, they're like part of a storage facility, hopefully to run another day.

Nearby though, this love hotel was still operating - the mama san was out the front sweeping leaves - and not quite sure how desperate you would have to be.
Hopefully, the interior of the rooms were less ecchi...

Most of this damage was likely from the Cat 3 typhoon that tore through Boso Hanto last year.
Though, it looks not long for this world regardless.

The roads though, are in better condition.

Most anyway.
This is our street, after two typhoons and a month of excavation, we hope in preparation for major repair.
Lucky, we have another two ways out of our little valley.

Some kei too, having seen better days.
These pair belong to a university collective, and are used for running wildlife studies in the valley - deer, wild boar, kyion, and similar.
The students overnight in a minka much like ours.

The following users liked this post:
kiznarsh (11-29-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:31 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Unlike the thieves who sold me my imitation dust boots above, not all online sellers are scammers.

MRN Race Technologies advertised RS-style door pulls, and having never liked the fake 'titanium' finish on Cayman trim, I figured some plain gray pull straps would continue my dress-down theme.
Not only do they have an excellent customer service, but the quality of product fit and finish is first class.
Shipping to Japan was five days, and these door pulls are strong, and fit in less than a minute - for both sides.

In dark gray, they also fit my interior look nicely:

The following users liked this post:
Marine Blue (12-11-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Cold, wet, and windy.
But, heated seats make early morning starts a bit less painful...

Classic Corolla braaaats through our village.

Midweek traffic is still mostly trucks across Kanto these last few weeks.
Daily commutes still see private cars, but we're once again (with 500 cases per day) close to more stringent requests to stay home.

Clear Shuto-ko from Shibuya.
It's been a while since we've done a few laps of the C1.

News this week though has a feature we worked on - with a 907 running the C1 - being prepped for release, so we'll be able to relive some memories.

Much of Tokyo's futurism was founded in the decades around the 1960s, and this monorail and the buildings above belongs to that age.
It must have been wild then... Now, it just looks quaint as it rattles along on its concrete rail.

Lone Cayman S parking.
We had theorized, somewhere there was a coin park for just one car, and have since discovered a number.

Back home...
The Tokyo Bayside Classic Cup is tomorrow, so some classic race pics to follow we hope.

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 12-04-2020 at 09:41 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
adam_987.2 (01-17-2021), CaymanCarver (12-05-2020), gcX (01-17-2021), grgallo (12-04-2020), kiznarsh (12-06-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:04 AM
motoken
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow! I really enjoyed this thread. I lived in Okinawa for three years (stationed at Kadena AB with the USAF, 2005-2008) and enjoyed the local roads in a Toyota Cresta Tourer V and on a Yamaha XJR1300. Man, I loved riding/driving there, especially during cherry blossom season. Makes me want to go back... Thanks for posting!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:33 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

As others, I am enjoying this thread. We’re moving to Japan next week, so looking in to car purchases and Shaken process - really appreciate the link you posted earlier, very helpful!

Now I just need to find a suitable replacement for my recently sold Turbo.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:18 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by motoken
Wow! I really enjoyed this thread. I lived in Okinawa for three years (stationed at Kadena AB with the USAF, 2005-2008) and enjoyed the local roads in a Toyota Cresta Tourer V and on a Yamaha XJR1300. Man, I loved riding/driving there, especially during cherry blossom season. Makes me want to go back... Thanks for posting!
Yup!
We had a GT86 when last there, the roads are great!
The XJR would have been fun I am sure...
Kadena = Habu to me; love that bird.

Originally Posted by nzskater
As others, I am enjoying this thread. We’re moving to Japan next week, so looking in to car purchases and Shaken process - really appreciate the link you posted earlier, very helpful!
Now I just need to find a suitable replacement for my recently sold Turbo.
Next week!
You should be shipping the Turbo...
I often regret leaving my 2.7S behind.

Ping me when you get here, as we've got everything from 1955 Speedster to GT4 in our contact list, and 1000 touge to drive.
Plus, reasonable places to buy and maintenance.

From this end, we've got the joys of expired film...

Left in a friend's drawer for over 40 years.

Like some cheap insta filter.

Touge Karaoke.
The perfect Japanese pastime - go for a mountain drive, and bang out a few songs with your mob.

If you like muddy colors.

With a period car, it might have looked OK.

Going back to shoot with real film might be a good idea.

It was a nice day out.
See ya!

Old 12-14-2020, 02:22 PM
soulens
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kuro Neko, amazing stories and images!

Similar to everyone, I've enjoyed this thread and had to make an account to comment and subscribe. Long story short, I was looking at purchasing an N360 or N600 (or other car for that matter) on goo-net and searched for builds. That led to finding and reading your 1969 S800M Coupe story on Honda tech forums, which led me here. I recently moved to Setagaya and would be thankful if I may connect with you regarding places to buy a car and what cars are available through your contact list.

Best,

Christopher

Last edited by soulens; 12-14-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:08 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soulens
Kuro Neko, amazing stories and images!
Similar to everyone, I've enjoyed this thread and had to make an account to comment and subscribe. Long story short, I was looking at purchasing an N360 or N600 (or other car for that matter) on goo-net and searched for builds. That led to finding and reading your 1969 S800M Coupe story on Honda tech forums, which led me here. I recently moved to Setagaya and would be thankful if I may connect with you regarding places to buy a car and what cars are available through your contact list.
Best,
Christopher
Happy to help, but your private messages are not enabled...
Ping me your email address and I can reply?

Neko
Old 12-16-2020, 02:46 AM
soulens
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After some research, I believe that since I am a new member (with free membership) I still do not have access to sending/receiving private messages. I've sent an email through the vCard option.

Last edited by soulens; 12-16-2020 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Solved, can't delete post
Old 12-17-2020, 04:15 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I, too am enjoying this thread! Excellent work, Kuro Neko!

I can't believe that there is a Porsche 907 driving on the streets! How do they get that licensed for driving on public roads?
Old 12-18-2020, 10:16 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soulens
After some research, I believe that since I am a new member (with free membership) I still do not have access to sending/receiving private messages. I've sent an email through the vCard option.
Message received!

Originally Posted by Racer Boy
I, too am enjoying this thread! Excellent work, Kuro Neko!
I can't believe that there is a Porsche 907 driving on the streets! How do they get that licensed for driving on public roads?
Another from the same roll:

Thanks!
Outside of F1 (and parochial stuff like NASCAR), sports car racing is essentially for road cars; two seats, a trunk, spare tire, lights, wipers, and indicators.
Japan's licensing regime is similar - if it was designed for the road, it can be registered.
We've got a number of sports, and sports prototypes running about on the roads accordingly - 904, 906, 907, 935, 964 (actually a converted 964CR, but who's counting), etc...

Here's two more from the same shoot.

A bit more cinematic than my documentary stills on film, from Benjamin Bertucci.
For that last one, I was piloting my Maxam, with the cameraman sitting pillion, hanging off the side of the bike with a Ronin at 02:00, at highway speeds racing around Tokyo.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
adam_987.2 (01-17-2021), gcX (01-17-2021), Marine Blue (12-29-2020), motoken (12-20-2020), soulens (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 01:10 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

That roller shot of the 907 is a fantastic picture!
Old 12-20-2020, 06:51 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Racer Boy
That roller shot of the 907 is a fantastic picture!
Agreed!
I thought the cameraman was going to tip us both off leaning that far over.
I like the shape of the 907 body, and the space-age glow on the tires.

I will see if I can find out when the film is being released...

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.