Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 981s

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default PTS 981s

Anyone have or have ordered a PTS 981? My local dealer (no affiliation) has a Mexico Blue Boxster S arriving this week. Asked if it was pre-sold order and he said no. Plan to check it out when it comes in. Should be a looker!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

which dealer?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
which dealer?
Steve's dealer is in the great Republic of Texas. So it's outside the US but still within PCNA's area of coverage!

This may be the PTS car, but I am sure he will confirm either way!
http://roger-beasley.porschedealer.c...01053/info.php

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo,

I thought this post might awaken your rennlist spirits and draw a post in reply.

Not quite as nice as your Crystal Blue but will be a stunner nonetheless.

Thought the spelling of Aetna Blue on the latest PTS-approved list was "interesting."

enjoy,
Steve

Originally Posted by Z356
the great Republic of Texas. So it's outside the US but still within PCNA's area of coverage!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JSF101
Eduardo,

I thought this post might awaken your rennlist spirits and draw a post in reply.

Not quite as nice as your Crystal Blue but will be a stunner nonetheless.

Thought the spelling of Aetna Blue on the latest PTS-approved list was "interesting."

enjoy,
Steve
Well, if PTS doesn't wake me up, nothing will! By the way, I am in Scottsdale with my wife for the Auctions. Actually, I skipped Barrett-Jackson, RM, Bonhams, 'Rusty' & Steele on this trip. Instead we hung out at Goodings in the Chubb hospitality suite...and drank/ate very nicely while experiencing an inflationary pressure on bidding prices for 'collectables' which left us nearly breathless! Madness, I tell you. We have no one to blame, it seems, but Bernanke & his Quantitative Easing. The money was flowing as plentiful as Champagne!

'Aetna' was called 'Etna Blau' in Germany back in 356 days. It is actually spelled both ways in the 1960/1961 color chart official Porsche literature for the B coupes, cabriolet & roadsters! But here in America, it was only known as 'Aetna Blue'!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7343...-pts-991s.html

But the probably 25 year old PAG contact in Germany that gave Joe West at PCNA (who prepared & sent the list to US & Canadian dealers) the approved PTS colors for the 991 & 981 has no knowledge of where that color got its name or its history in Porsche! And neither does Joe West! So only the German spelled 'Etna' appeared on the list, confounding anyone in our market trying to figure out what color that was! Even a more recent 'historic' Porsche color, 'RS Green' of '07/'08 gt3 RS fame, is simply called 'Green' on that list. We can only tell because of the internal color code...but who knows that but some esoteric few at forums like ours. US dealers & sales staff don't have a clue! How many can truly benefit from a PTS approved color list presented to dealers (and by extension us the end users) in this enigmatic manner?

All of this proves my theory that marketing remains a mysterious 'science' in Germany, practiced by very few adherents, in an automotive business dominated by excellent engineers! Unfortunately, none of these 'marketing types' have ever found a job at 'Porsche Exclusive'. And until they do, Porsche's customer base in this country is traveling nearly 'color' blind...if you pardon the pun!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Photos. 1955 Pre-A Continental Cabriolet. Terra Cota with an 'Ocher' yellowish/green leather interior - not everyone's color choices on a 356! Some repro *****, etc in the interior, but overall a good, quality restoration with neat period options! It went for $300K+ when adding commissions, etc! Just to put that price in perspective, I bought a very original (but badly repainted) 1954 'Azure Blue' Pre-A Cabriolet with gorgeous patina red leather seats back in 1988 for $25K out of a Pano ad and drove it for ten years! When I wanted to sell it in the late 1990's, no ad in the 356 Registry or Pano was able to move it at my $30K asking price! In 2000, via a local car broker in Carmel, I finally found a buyer at $23K! This one is fully restored and some 12 years later...but $300K? My, how times have changed for the Pre-A's!!!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 01-24-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: resized attached photos
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think GT3 RS Orange is also synonymous with "Orange" on Porsche spec sheets.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default A primer on 'Orange'

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I think GT3 RS Orange is also synonymous with "Orange" on Porsche spec sheets.
Vetman - Don't make me come to College Hall Room 201 at Penn and give you (and all the students & alumni) a 3 hour lecture on Porsche colors and PTS!

To avoid any confusion, let me set the record straight on the 'oranges'. Until December of 2012, the only 'orange' that PAG offered on their approved PTS list for the 981 and 991 was 'Pastell Orange'. This is not 'RS Orange' of the famous '07/'08 gt3 RS. That color was discontinued by production (due to matching issues) and last used in MY2010. You may remember a used '10 gt3 being sold by Porsche of Roslyn in Long Island in 2011 which was the last time I saw this PTS color used by the factory in the US! 'RS Orange' was color code 8C6. In MY2011, PAG started recommending an orange color they called 'Pastell Orange'. It is brighter than 'RS Orange'. It is code z17. Attached is a MY2011 gt3 that until recently was being sold by Niello Porsche in Sacramento in that color and which I photographed on my way to Carmel from the PCA Parade in Salt Lake City in July!

As of December 2012, PAG approved (unexpectedly) 'Gulf Orange' (Code 019). It is a darker, deeper & fuller orange than 'Pastell'! To my knowledge, it was last used on a PTS 997S ordered by Porsche of West Houston around 2006. See attached photo of that car from my personal files. 'Gulf Orange' is a 'historic' color first used by Porsche in the early 1970's in the longhood 911's. It was specifically a MY1973 color! It came after Tangerine (called BlutOrange in German) and the very distinctive 'Signal Orange'. However, I never thought "Gulf Orange' would be approved today for PTS due to its association and the copyright / trademark issues with the Gulf Oil Company, which closely guards its historic racing colors! 'Gulf Blue' has not been approved by PAG since it did a Carrera GT in 2005. But, interestingly, they get weekly demands for that color and I doubt they will approve it. But out of the 'blue' (pardon me again), PAG has approved 'Gulf Orange'! Remarkably, it has even the same color code as the original 1973 color! This is one of my favorite colors. If anyone that reads this post has any intention of ordering an Orange colored PTS car from Porsche, I strongly recommend you choose 'Gulf Orange'!

Class dismissed on Porsche PTS 'Orange'! Tomorrow, kids, we will get into 'Chartreuse', better known as 'Lime Green'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Attached Images     
Attached Images

Last edited by Z356; 01-24-2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: resized attached photos
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With thanks to Eduardo, I have a 981 in Mexico Blue on order scheduled for 5/3 completion.
I wanted Gulf Blue with Gulf Orange accents but that was not to be.
MY wife nixed Gulf Orange for PTS and also the Orange interior because ever since I purchased an IH Scout in International Orange, she has hated anything in orange!
The only interior/roof combo that made sense to me was black/black.
Unfortunately the Configurator locks you out of having the interior trim painted a PTS color, so as it stands the car still needs some blue in the interior and I have been informally told to have it done after market. I intend to personally contact /Sascha because as Eduardo says, that is Sascha's job and if people want something and he can't provide it, then Porsche has to be told. Whether or not Porsche does anything is unlikely.
Just before the 'new' Cayenne was introduced, I went to purchase a C4. My intention was to put snows on in the winter and drive year round. Much to my surprise, Porsche was not importing and selling the C4 in North America but continued sales elsewhere.
A C4S was available but with a heavier suspension and lowered ride height, not for winter driving.
I refused to purchase a C4S. Porsche NA asked me why I didn't want a Cayenne? Obviously they stopped selling the C4 to boost Cayenne sales. Porsche offered to find me a used C4 but I said that's not what I wanted, I wanted new. I ended up not purchasing a new Porsche and walking. Took me all this time and the 2013 Boxster to try again.
We shall see how this comes out.-Dick
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Vetman - Don't make me come to College Hall Room 201 at Penn and give you (and all the students & alumni) a 3 hour lecture on Porsche colors and PTS!
Oh, darn... Eduardo certainly knows his stuff. Thank you for the info, though my head is still spinning a bit.

BTW, which automotive brand did you branch out to?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Oh, darn... Eduardo certainly knows his stuff. Thank you for the info, though my head is still spinning a bit.

BTW, which automotive brand did you branch out to?
I am keeping it within the VW family and it's also manufactured in the 'Fatherland'. It is an Audi R8. I will have a thread about this as soon as it arrives. But I will be more involved now with the R8Talk forum...but I will not forget my good friends here!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Riviera Blue' 981S

By the way, the 'Mexico Blue' incoming 981 Boxster S that the OP brought to our attention has disappeared from Roger Beasley Porsche dealership in Austin! However, Graham Rahal (DesmoRR in Rennlist) posted over at Teamspeed that he just took delivery of a 'Riviera Blue' Boxster S (see photos below). Just to remind you, Graham Rahal purchased the Walter's PTS 'Riviera Blue' '12 Spyder from the person in Austin, Texas that bought it from Donavan Harris in Oregon, who in turn sold it to 86 3point2 in Pennsylvania! Are you tracking?

So that you know what ALL OF US are up against re: the vagaries of 'Porsche Exclusive' and how they run their program in the US, Rennlist member 'budrichard' recently posted on this & other forums his attempt to get exactly this type of 'match interior trim to exterior paint' detail on his recently ordered 'Mexico Blue' 981S! Yet he was actively discouraged from doing just that by Sascha. Here is 'budrichard' in his own words:

"981 ordered with Mexico Blue, approved PTS color, black top, black leather interior...Outside bits left black for contrast, cannot add any contrast in interior as those options are blocked out when you order Custom Paint in the Configuratoe and Sacha says, better to paint after market as Porsche has no way other than maybe some Ultra Custom Program I expect is reserved for oil Shieks and Billionaires?"

Well, budrichard, Graham Rahal is no Oil Sheikh! And although he probably has some money in the bank, is an accomplished racer and has a famous father, he isn't a Billionaire either! What he does have are connections at the Porsche factory & at 'Porsche Exclusive'! That is why he was treated differently than you...or me. I don't begrudge Graham one bit for getting his 'Riviera Blue' Boxster just the way he wanted it! But I do object that 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US is giving out mis-information on what they can or can not do via their bespoke 'Exclusive' service, especially to PAYING CUSTOMERS in North America like 'budrichard'! If Graham can get it, why can't the rest of us from 'Porsche Exclusive'?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 01-22-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Rahal's 981S is 'Riviera Blue', not 'Mexico Blue'
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

More Photos. Truly lovely! The MSRP was $95k! Here is Rahal's articulate words as to why he special ordered this PTS 981S. I think some of you in this forum will appreciate & agree with his reasoning:

"Why boxster? Why not? Its far and above better than the 991 Carrera or Carrera S, and I know from experience as I did the SpeedTV test drive on the new Porsche. The 911 has lost its edge, the Boxster has gained that edge, its fun, its fast, and its rewarding for the driver. Not to mention Im 6'2" and I fit perfectly in the Boxster, something I never thought I would say!

As for the color. I wanted Riviera blue as I briefly owned the Riviera blue Boxster Spyder that was famous online, and thought it would be fun to do that again. However the Spyder lacked the interior details. There was no color, no stitching, nothing that stood out. I decided in this car to go all out, spec a car that I would love, and others would appreciate. Therefore I did it."

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 01-22-2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Add 'Graham's explanation of why he ordered this 981!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

eduardo, having fun at the auction?
beautiful 356 and pts box.
but i want that pullman!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
eduardo, having fun at the auction?
beautiful 356 and pts box.
but i want that pullman!!!!
1971 MB 220 DL8 Limousine in Midnight Blue! Formerly the property of Prince Rainier III of Monaco. Perfect to carry your fans and spare tires to your next driving event in California, although I heard it's slower than my old '53 Fiat Topolino! All I need is a uniform and I can be your loyal driver! It has built-in factory flag mounts so that you can fly the famous 'Royal Banner of Mootydom'. I think this is the ticket! It sold cheap at $54,400, one of the least expensive cars that was auctioned off in two days! I think the guy who bought it did it only so that he could carry back home all the purchases his 'trophy' wife had made at Nordstrom Scottsdale while he was bidding for cars at Goodings!

http://www.goodingco.com/all_auction.../scottsdale_13

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To set the record straight, I do not know if Sascha ever said anything to my Dealer about painting after market and my quote is incorrect about Sascha.
In conversation with my Dealership, yesterday, they have agreed to contact Sascha and find out a time and cost estitmate for painting the interior dash trim and console trim.
So some of the reluctance of Porsche NA may have been percieved on my part because I have had no direct contact with Sascha.
So the outcome is still in the balance and I repeat, my direct quoting of Sascha at Porsche Exclusive is incorrect.-Dick

Last edited by budrichard; 01-22-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quick Reply: PTS 981s