Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 981s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
1971 MB 220 DL8 Limousine in Midnight Blue! Formerly the property of Prince Rainier III of Monaco. Perfect to carry your fans and spare tires to your next driving event in California, although I heard it's slower than my old '53 Fiat Topolino! All I need is a uniform and I can be your loyal driver! It has built-in factory flag mounts so that you can fly the famous 'Royal Banner of Mootydom'. I think this is the ticket! It sold cheap at $54,400, one of the least expensive cars that was auctioned off in two days! I think the guy who bought it did it only so that he could carry back home all the purchases his 'trophy' wife had made at Nordstrom Scottsdale while he was bidding for cars at Goodings!

http://www.goodingco.com/all_auction.../scottsdale_13

Saludos,
Eduardo
ah, my eyes failed me. the profile shot made me thought that it was a 600 pullman.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eduardo, do you know what color blue the stitching is on the boxster? They don't do "thread to match", or "Belts to match" do they? Zienith blue was the old color? But wouldn't that clash?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

sounds like we need a new "thread"

thread to match

hello, Eduardo?

is that 981 Riviera or Mexico Blue?

looks gorgeous and I really like the thread, whatever color it is

cheers,
Steve

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
what color blue the stitching is on the boxster? They don't do "thread to match", or "Belts to match" do they?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
sounds like we need a new "thread"

thread to match

hello, Eduardo?

is that 981 Riviera or Mexico Blue?

looks gorgeous and I really like the thread, whatever color it is

cheers,
Steve
Steve, we needed to talk about something while we waited patiently for your photo report on the 'Mexico Blue' 981 you were going to check out! What happened?

Graham's 981 is 'Riviera Blue', Jerry Seinfeld's favorite color!

Quite frankly we are no so off-topic, it is a PTS 981!

You are still like Elvis, the King, with that Speed Yellow Spyder of yours!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 58 Posts

I had actually Spoke with Sascha after he told me I could not order a car with Mexico Blue deviating stitching, only to send him the photo's and link to Graham's car. He replied that Graham was able to sneak his order in before the guidelines on these options were changed. It sounded like Graham had ordered the car 9-12 months ago this way. Still doesn't make sense to me...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Blue Deviating Stitching

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Eduardo, do you know what color blue the stitching is on the boxster? They don't do "thread to match", or "Belts to match" do they? Zenith blue was the old color? But wouldn't that clash?
Not yet, is the answer. I have asked my Graham to share that with us. Let's see if takes the time to answer that question for all of us! At the time that I last paid attention to these matters in late September, 'Porsche Exclusive' was offering the following color stitching on both the 981 and 991:

Black
Platinum Grey
Yachting Blue
Luxor Beige
Espresso
Pebble Grey
Carrera Red
Agate Grey
Guards Red
Lime Gold

I don't know what 'Yachting Blue' thread would look like on a 'Black' leather panel. Unlike the 'Carrera Red' interiors, the thread used on a factory 'Yachting Blue' leather interior looks 'wash-out white' to me and not the deep 'Yatchting Blue' I would have expected! See first photo attached. In my Spyder's 'Carrera Red' full leather interior, the standard stitching thread was also 'Carrera Red'! So who knows what that 'Yatchting Blue' looks like. Ask Sascha!

If it's not that, it could be one of the colors available to Porsche from the vendors that make the beautiful polychromatic sewing threads in the last photos below. These are the ACTUAL colored threads that 'Porsche Exclusive' in theory have at their disposal to meet the whims of its clients! The problem is to get the subcontractors making the actual leather panels (which is most cases is not done in-house at Zuffenhausen own leather shops) to agree to a system where they would all know what color is wanted/needed by the client! Back in the summer of 2012, 'Porsche Exclusive' was trying to streamline the process and give its suppliers a set guideline to follow. For example, if a customer ordered a PTS 'Gulf Orange' 981 or a PTS 'Pastell Orange' 991 and wanted deviating stitching to match the exterior color of your car, PAG would select only ONE 'orange' color thread and that would apply to any & all deviating stitching requested in that hue! Think 'Simplify' so as not confuse the vendors or create bottlenecks & unnecessary delays in the production lines! Who knows if any of that was accomplished! From Mile2424's post below, it seems they still don't have that set up and running smoothly!

Glad that is no longer my self-imposed 'job' on this forum! I now have to get familiar with 'Audi Exclusive' for the R8Talk folks. I have signed up for classes on this subject starting next week and hope to get my 'Masters' by summer's end!

Originally Posted by mile2424
I had actually Spoke with Sascha after he told me I could not order a car with Mexico Blue deviating stitching, only to send him the photo's and link to Graham's car. He replied that Graham was able to sneak his order in before the guidelines on these options were changed. It sounded like Graham had ordered the car 9-12 months ago this way. Still doesn't make sense to me...
Well, color me surprised...and make that hue a nice 'Carrera Red' with 'Mexico Blue' deviating stitching!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images     

Last edited by Z356; 01-24-2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: resized attached photos
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 AM
slc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
To set the record straight, I do not know if Sascha ever said anything to my Dealer about painting after market and my quote is incorrect about Sascha.
In conversation with my Dealership, yesterday, they have agreed to contact Sascha and find out a time and cost estitmate for painting the interior dash trim and console trim.
So some of the reluctance of Porsche NA may have been percieved on my part because I have had no direct contact with Sascha.
So the outcome is still in the balance and I repeat, my direct quoting of Sascha at Porsche Exclusive is incorrect.-Dick
Originally Posted by mile2424

I have a Mexico Blue 981S on order with deviating Mexico Blue stitching, car locked in November and is schedule for completion around the 3rd week of February.

I originally tried to get the painted interior trim but was told by exclusive in Germany that the option wouldn't be available until March builds. I checked a few weeks ago and the latest information is the PTS interior trim is now delayed to the next model year.

Given the flux in the dates on the painted trim I'm not surprised that the deviated stitching option is currently locked out. At the time of my order they could only do the dash and doors, seats in a custom thread were a no go. I would assume the seats were not an option for Graham's car as well since his seats are standard thread, given the level of detail in his car its hard to believe he wouldn't have checked that box if available. Just my guess however.

For the record, I've been working with Melissa here in the US and a very nice gentleman in Germany and have found Exclusive to be nothing but accommodating and helpful.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Thanks, SLC

Originally Posted by slc
I have a Mexico Blue 981S on order with deviating Mexico Blue stitching, car locked in November and is schedule for completion around the 3rd week of February.

I originally tried to get the painted interior trim but was told by exclusive in Germany that the option wouldn't be available until March builds. I checked a few weeks ago and the latest information is the PTS interior trim is now delayed to the next model year.

Given the flux in the dates on the painted trim I'm not surprised that the deviated stitching option is currently locked out. At the time of my order they could only do the dash and doors, seats in a custom thread were a no go. I would assume the seats were not an option for Graham's car as well since his seats are standard thread, given the level of detail in his car its hard to believe he wouldn't have checked that box if available. Just my guess however.

For the record, I've been working with Melissa here in the US and a very nice gentleman in Germany and have found Exclusive to be nothing but accommodating and helpful.
That is excellent news on what can & can't be done at 'Porsche Exclusive' at this time, SLC! Thank you. And I hope that others like you that have been successful at getting a custom exterior or interior on their 981 or 991 will share that information with the forum on a more frequent basis!

I also appreciate that you pointed out that Graham's seats do not have deviating stitching! I was so impressed with the blue stitching on the dash & door panels that I totally overlooked that deficiency on the seats! So that answers Schmidts Cat's question on color of the deviating stitching on that Riviera Blue 981S! It has to be a 'custom color' - probably the 'Mexico/Riviera' Blue which 'Porsche Exclusive' has chosen to coordinated with the subcontractors to use when a customer request deviating stitching to go with their 'Mexico' or 'Riviera' blue exterior! It is not 'Yachting Blue', since that is a standard deviating stitching color! If it was 'Yachting Blue', Graham's seats could have been done in that deviating color!

The fact that you can NOT deviate the stitching with a 'custom color' on the seats (but you can on the dash and door panels) poses a real challenge for those of us that couldn't stand that incongruity in design! It would bother me to no end! What are you going to do about the stitching on your own seats? Are they going to look just like Graham's on your otherwise wonderful 'Mexico Blue' deviated interior?

The problem 'Porsche Exclusive' customers faced back in the summer & early fall was that deviating stitching was only allowed in the standard colors for the seats, dash, door & back panels (see attached photo of 991 interior). If you ordered any of the other leather option (e.g. CZW or XHS), they could only be done in the default stitching! Thus those options would NOT match the deviating stitching on your seats, dash, door panels, etc! I don't know if that issue has been resolved, but it presented a customer's with a 'Sophie's Choice' in deciding what to give up on their custom interiors!

I am very glad 'Porsche Exclusive' is working for you, SLC! My hope is that it would also work as effectively for a larger number of Porsche customers who would otherwise take advantage of this special bespoke program -- if they only knew more about it! As the present owner of a special order & rare 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa and two recent custom-ordered Porsches (a Signal Green 997S and a Aqua/Red Spyder), I appreciate very much the opportunity to customize an acquisition of this type & create something unique! And I hope more folks take advantage of it, just like you have! Best of luck with your custom order and I look forward to seeing the results when it arrives!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 01-24-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

The PTS Riviera Blue 981 is lovely but I am scratching my head wondering why that goofball steering wheel with the push/pull buttons got spec'ed instead of the sport wheel with contrasting stitching.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
The PTS Riviera Blue 981 is lovely but I am scratching my head wondering why that goofball steering wheel with the push/pull buttons got spec'ed instead of the sport wheel with contrasting stitching.
because of the multi function steering wheel
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm- PTS 981 Cayman S "Arrow blue" (AKA Royal Blue to you 356 folks). I would do that if I was allowed by Porsche. Mexico is close, but I like Arrow/Royal blue like my race car..... That would be cool. A must would be bucket seats like on my Spyder...
Riviera is too light for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 AM
slc
Intermediate

The fact that you can NOT deviate the stitching with a 'custom color' on the seats (but you can on the dash and door panels) poses a real challenge for those of us that couldn't stand that incongruity in design! It would bother me to no end! What are you going to do about the stitching on your own seats? Are they going to look just like Graham's on your otherwise wonderful 'Mexico Blue' deviated interior?
Eduardo,

I orginally was going to scrap the whole idea of deviated stitching once I found out it wasn't available for the seats. Exclusive however sent me pictures of a very custom 991 that used black thread on black leather seats (like Graham's) then selective deviated stitching on the doors and dash as more of an accent. By doing so, the interior didn't look like they just forgot to add deviated stitching to the seats, console, etc. I follow this theme on my order using custom thread only on the dash, instrument cover, and top of the door panels.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slc
Eduardo,

I orginally was going to scrap the whole idea of deviated stitching once I found out it wasn't available for the seats. Exclusive however sent me pictures of a very custom 991 that used black thread on black leather seats (like Graham's) then selective deviated stitching on the doors and dash as more of an accent. By doing so, the interior didn't look like they just forgot to add deviated stitching to the seats, console, etc. I follow this theme on my order using custom thread only on the dash, instrument cover, and top of the door panels.
slc, that makes more sense now! Basically, you are doing what Porsche offers on their optional two tone interiors 981 - accent deviating stitching in dash & top of the doors! And the beautiful 'Mexico Blue' exterior will do most of the 'talking' on your 981. Get it.

But I find intriguing that they offered to use a 'black' thread on the seats. Personally I don't like the default 'grey' stitching you get when you order 'Black' Leather Seats (attached photo) or 'Black' Full Leather Interior. By doing the stitching in 'Black' on a 'Black' leather seat, the stitching basically 'disappears' & doesn't 'fight' the deviating stitching on the dash & door tops! Brilliant solution until they get Recaro or whoever to do a 'custom' deviating stitching color on their seats! Some of you might do well by asking Porsche to do your ENTIRE 'Black' leather interior (seats, dash, door panels) in 'Black' stitching if they will let you! Might look good...and less common!

Please post close up photos of your 'Double Black' leather seats when it arrives! And good luck!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 AM
slc
Intermediate

slc, that makes more sense now! Basically, you are doing what Porsche offers on their optional two tone interiors 981 - accent deviating stitching in dash & top of the doors! And the beautiful 'Mexico Blue' exterior will do most of the 'talking' on your 981. Get it.

But I find intriguing that they offered to use a 'black' thread on the seats. Personally I don't like the default 'grey' stitching you get when you order 'Black' Leather Seats (attached photo) or 'Black' Full Leather Interior. By doing the stitching in 'Black' on a 'Black' leather seat, the stitching basically 'disappears' & doesn't 'fight' the deviating stitching on the dash & door tops! Brilliant solution until they get Recaro or whoever to do a 'custom' deviating stitching color on their seats! Some of you might do well by asking Porsche to do your ENTIRE 'Black' leather interior (seats, dash, door panels) in 'Black' stitching if they will let you! Might look good...and less common!

Please post close up photos of your 'Double Black' leather seats when it arrives! And good luck!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo,

I might have mis-represnted the stitching used on the seats. I believed they used the standard stitching for black leather (which I assumed to be black, but I'm sure you are correct that it is actually grey). However I do like your idea doing the entire interior in all back.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

It amazes me that Porsche still can't get the 'Exclusive' program right. Thought they might turn the corner with the 981/991, but apparently not.

Quick Reply: PTS 981s