Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 981s

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Are you going to tip us off on your color direction for the R8? I prefer signal green to RS green, but it looks great anyway.
Well, on the current '11 R8 I just purchased the color direction has already been set in stone...or 'magna flow'! It is called 'Lava Gray'. You have to handed to Audi, they give their colors very powerful names! Let me see how I like the R8 first (it was just picked up in MD yesterday for a ride to the West Coast) before I start thinking of custom ordering the next one! I might find 'Audi Exclusive' as messed up as 'Porsche Exclusive' is today! And then I might have to start thinking about the 'F' word - Ferrari- or even the 'S' word - a Subaru MZR just like Joe's!

But I agree with you, 'Signal Green' is just a terrific color and much different from 'RS Green'. It has more of a 'yellow' tint. 'RS Green' has more 'blue' in it, like the old 911 'Viper Green'! Here are photos of both (Signal vs RS) side by side taken at an 'R Gruppe' meet several years ago in California.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That photo does no justice to the RS green! But I still like signal better. Curious to see how you like the R8.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
grahal09
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Ian, I think I need better eye glasses! I looked long & hard at that R8 for hours...and I can't find 'Eduardo' written, painted or scribbled anywhere on that beautiful shiny exterior? You must be pulling my chain!

By pure coincidence I happened to look up the history of this green R8 tonight. It was custom ordered by a customer from Tennessee. It is a MY2010 v10. The original owner sold it to buy a 'Samoa Orange' gt R8. Turns out the exact color on this R8 in question is not 'Signal Green'. It is 'RS Green', a Porsche color from the '07/'08 gt3 RS. Since it is not an Audi production color like 'Solar Orange', it had to cost much more than $2500!

I have also seen an Audi RS4 done in PTS 'RS Green'! And the fellow that posted right before you, Ian, knows all about PTS RS4's too, since he once owned a 'Glut Orange' RS4 himself! The circle of PTS owners is indeed very small and they tend to be repeat customers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Kind of funny, I had a glut orane RS4, and sold it a couple years back. I also have had an orange and green GT3 RS. Loved them.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grahal09
Kind of funny, I had a glut orane RS4, and sold it a couple years back. I also have had an orange and green GT3 RS. Loved them.

Obviously, you're the shy and retiring type.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't you also used to have a Riviera Blue Spyder?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Kind of funny, I had a glut orane RS4, and sold it a couple years back.
We know! You are on a roll!
http://bespokemotor.com/2010/glut-orange-audi-rs4

Originally Posted by 86 3point2
Didn't you also used to have a Riviera Blue Spyder?
Here is the current owner of the 'Riviera Blue' Spyder in Pennsylvania showing off! We need you to post more photos of that car, friend! And hopefully you two will meet again and have a comparison test between the two cars! Perhaps we can get Pete Stout, now over at Panorama, to feature these two 'Riviera Blue' Boxsters and compare their performances in an article! Or whomever is now editor of 'Excellence'! It will make for interesting reading, no? Pete, are you listening?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Graham, do you still have the Audi R8 v10 gt? One of our neighbors here in the Carmel area - Danny Sullivan - had a bad crash on his and totaled it. He is OK but he says he misses his v10 gt!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gruson
So is there a Riviera or Mexico Blue 981 or 991 available anywhere? New or used...
Yes, they have a 'Riviera Blue' (or 'Mexico'?) at Sunset in Oregon. $90+K.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ema&listType=1

Double checked their dealer website. It is 'Riviera Blue'. Color Code 39E according to Sunset!

http://sunset.porschedealer.com/new/...96303/info.php

Originally Posted by JSF101
My local dealer (no affiliation) has a Mexico Blue Boxster S arriving this week. Asked if it was pre-sold order and he said no. Plan to check it out when it comes in. Should be a looker!
Steve, what ever happened to this 'Mexico Blue'? Did you ever get a chance to see it before it was sold?

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 02-02-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Double checked color at Sunset's dealer website!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Eduardo,

Audi can do some interesting things with their programme. I had an R8 in Java Green which totally transformed the look of the R8 into more of an exotic. The clear paint film company I used had it on their website for a while.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ISUK
Eduardo,

Audi can do some interesting things with their programme. I had an R8 in Java Green which totally transformed the look of the R8 into more of an exotic.
any paint program can make any exotic look like an exotic, I figure.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mexico Blue is always one of my favorite colors... don't think I'd have the ***** to own it, but wow.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
any paint program can make any exotic look like an exotic, I figure.

That R8 looks great, BTW.

Last edited by the_vetman; 02-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo,
it's gone, never got to see it

cheers,
Steve

Steve, what ever happened to this 'Mexico Blue'? Did you ever get a chance to see it before it was sold?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Gone???

Originally Posted by JSF101
Eduardo, it's gone, never got to see it. cheers,
Steve
No kidding, Sherlock! We reported that a while back.
By the way, the 'Mexico Blue' incoming 981 Boxster S that the OP brought to our attention has disappeared from Roger Beasley Porsche dealership in Austin!
Steve!!!!! You are the OP! You brought the news of this 'Mexico Blue' to our attention! You still have contacts at Beasley! Find your old trench coat & get into your 1959 Peugeot 403 Cabriolet and find out where it went! Then pay a visit to new local owner & report back to us (with photos, etc)! Don't leave us hanging, bro!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ISUK
Eduardo, Audi can do some interesting things with their programme. I had an R8 in Java Green which totally transformed the look of the R8 into more of an exotic.
ISUK, you are the undisputed master of bespoke! My hat off to you! I still think that the UK 987 Boxster you did a while back was brilliant! I am just getting re-acquainted with 'Audi Exclusive' after looking at it briefly in 2010. I will see how well I like this 'Lava Grey' v8 Spyder and decide if it merits a custom order - perhaps a v10 next!

Couple of questions for you:

1) What custom order from any auto maker are you thinking of doing next?
2) How is 'Audi Exclusive' to work with vs 'Porsche Exclusive'? Who did you find more responsive and accommodating?
3)What were your impressions of the R8 (driving characteristics) in comparison to Porsches you have owned in the past?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Eduardo,

I've custom ordered several Ferraris over the last few years (2 Californias, 2 458 coupes and a 458 spider). It's generally easier doing the Ferraris but I've still had some problems getting things exactly as I want them though have resolved it all direct with the factory.

The R8 was an opportunistic purchase back in the summer of 2008 when the new car market stalled badly. I had a friend working within an Audi dealership close by Audi GB's head quarters and they had given him this car which they had spec'ed to show off the Exclusive paint offerings to sell. It was very well optioned and I loved it the minute I saw it. I put in a very low ball bid which they mulled over for two weeks before they caved in and released it. I even got a set of the 5 piece custom factory luggage thrown in for just and extra £1k. I really enjoyed the car and should have kept it but itchy feet and a 430 Scuderia saw me sell it on.

Quick Reply: PTS 981s