Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 981s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ISUK
Eduardo,

I've custom ordered several Ferraris over the last few years (2 Californias, 2 458 coupes and a 458 spider). It's generally easier doing the Ferraris but I've still had some problems getting things exactly as I want them though have resolved it all direct with the factory.

The R8 was an opportunistic purchase back in the summer of 2008 when the new car market stalled badly. I had a friend working within an Audi dealership close by Audi GB's head quarters and they had given him this car which they had spec'ed to show off the Exclusive paint offerings to sell. It was very well optioned and I loved it the minute I saw it. I put in a very low ball bid which they mulled over for two weeks before they caved in and released it. I even got a set of the 5 piece custom factory luggage thrown in for just and extra £1k. I really enjoyed the car and should have kept it but itchy feet and a 430 Scuderia saw me sell it on.
Impressive list of cars you have custom ordered...let me know if you kept the R8 luggage since I may needed it to handle trips with the wife!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm afraid I let the luggage go with the car when I sold it as it was all embossed with the R8 logo. It was a lovely set as well made from black nappa leather with white contrast stitching and carbon fibre detailing. It had two cases that fit the shelf behind the seats (space that isn't there on the spider I believe), one case for the trunk plus a small briefcase that also fit in the trunk space and a suit carrier that lay over the top of both of these. Apologies for the very poor photo's but they appear to be the only ones I have.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thats a huge amount of space behind the seats, for a mid engined car.. or any two-seater for that matter.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
ISUK, you are the undisputed master of bespoke! My hat off to you! I still think that the UK 987 Boxster you did a while back was brilliant! I am just getting re-acquainted with 'Audi Exclusive' after looking at it briefly in 2010. I will see how well I like this 'Lava Grey' v8 Spyder and decide if it merits a custom order - perhaps a v10 next!

Couple of questions for you:

1) What custom order from any auto maker are you thinking of doing next?
2) How is 'Audi Exclusive' to work with vs 'Porsche Exclusive'? Who did you find more responsive and accommodating?
3)What were your impressions of the R8 (driving characteristics) in comparison to Porsches you have owned in the past?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo, I haven't driven the R8, but have seriously considered getting one (I might just be too tall for it). As for driving characteristics, I've heard from good friends that it is amazingly capable, but not nearly as connected or engaging as you would expect from a Porsche.... more like the GTR.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Wow, thats a huge amount of space behind the seats, for a mid engined car.. or any two-seater for that matter.
Yes, in the R8 coupe model (shown by ISUK) that area is generous. Unfortunately we lose that in the Spyder model, due to the allocation of that 'space' to fit the needed safety pop-up roll bars, etc! In the cab version, only storage of any type is the front trunk (3.53 cu. ft). Makes the Boxster's double trunks truly exceptional re: functionality for distance traveling! Hence the market for these specialized fitted R8 luggage, which are more commonly used by affluent European R8 owners and a few even here in America!

At Porsche, fitted luggage is most often associated with the era of the smaller 356 & the early 911/912 models in the 50's/60's! I still have some of these in my 356 parts collection. They were quite common back then!

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS You will not find many in the gt3 forum talking positively about or praising the R8...unless they are caught driving at speed in the rain at the track! Then it's a different story. I will let you know and you can decide for yourself when you drive mine!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Z356; 02-04-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

If I were to get one, it would be the spyder, as I like the open cars for touring, and the look better than the R8 coupe. It is tighter though, space wise. Thanks for the offer... can't wait to drive it with you. I love the lava gray, but it would need a red or orange or saddle interior etc. to give it some "Pop" as an exotic. When do you get it? Post pics please.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
If I were to get one, it would be the spyder, as I like the open cars for touring, and the look better than the R8 coupe. It is tighter though, space wise. Thanks for the offer... can't wait to drive it with you. I love the lava gray, but it would need a red or orange or saddle interior etc. to give it some "Pop" as an exotic. When do you get it? Post pics please.
The 'pop' is coming re: interior color! You know me, I can't help myself with my affliction. R8 gets here in 30 minutes!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Sunset in Oregon has a Riviera Blue 981
and
a Peru Red 981

looks like Donavan has encouraged them to become the "standard bearer" for PTS Porsches

Originally Posted by Gruson
So is there a Riviera or Mexico Blue 981 or 991 available anywhere? New or used...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
and
a Peru Red 981

looks like Donavan has encouraged them to become the "standard bearer" for PTS Porsches
I like the Peru Red
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JSF101
and
a Peru Red 981

Steve, you are two days late to the party on the Riviera...but I failed to noticed the Peru. Thanks. I am partial to 'Man from Chile' when it comes to South American colors!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eduardo,

You posted at 9:40 that the R8 gets there in 30 minutes.
I figured I'd wait until you posted pics, but then you posted at 1:17... but no pics. Since you're not out driving her, and you haven't posted pics yet... did she arrive?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Steve:

I was resting after washing the R8 when I last posted and couldn't resist pulling JSF101 Steve's chain.

Here she is as she landed from the Intercity Lines carrier. I am off on a short trip to visit relatives in the Pacific Northwest but will be back on Feb 11th. Should be able to take her out for a long ride when I get back. In the several blocks I drove her from where the truck delivered it and my house, the R8 felt 'substantial' and 'expensive'. The v8 sounded great! The car is low and wide. Ian, forget about you fitting into such a vehicle! You will have splashed bugs all over your forehead every time you drive her with the top down! There aren't too many instances in life where being 5' 7" pays off. But in the R8 Spyder, it works perfectly well for that stature. It seems as thought this cabriolet was specifically made for the 'vertically challenged' in this otherwise tall man's world! Napoleon would have approved!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

She's gorgeous, Eduardo!

You're not taking her on that trip to the Pacific Northwest? She looks like the perfect travel companion.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
She's gorgeous, Eduardo!

You're not taking her on that trip to the Pacific Northwest? She looks like the perfect travel companion.
Well, I did that with the 'Signal Green' 997S and I don't have good memories from that trip. I am going to let SouthWest do the 'driving' over an icy, snowy & treacherous Highway 5 near Mt. Shasta!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z356
Well, I did that with the 'Signal Green' 997S and I don't have good memories from that trip. I am going to let SouthWest do the 'driving' over an icy, snowy & treacherous Highway 5 near Mt. Shasta!

Saludos,
Eduardo
But this has the engine in the right location and AWD, and Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an early spring.

Quick Reply: PTS 981s