Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS 981s

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It amazes me that Porsche still can't get the 'Exclusive' program right. Thought they might turn the corner with the 981/991, but apparently not.
+1, especially when there is such a huge profit potential.

And this isn't even controversial, like some of the changes Porsche has made to homogenize the cars and make them more accessible to more people. I sure don't get it. Exclusive should be a license to print money and make some people very happy.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still wondering why their "Black" leather is more like very dark grey?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
+1, especially when there is such a huge profit potential.

And this isn't even controversial, like some of the changes Porsche has made to homogenize the cars and make them more accessible to more people. I sure don't get it. Exclusive should be a license to print money and make some people very happy.
You're right but at the same time it is nice that we can customize our cars. Most brands in this price range would not include anywhere near the customization Porsche offers and while it does seem pricey it really isn't bad when you compare what prices are for exclusive versions of an MB, Audi or BMW.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You're right but at the same time it is nice that we can customize our cars. Most brands in this price range would not include anywhere near the customization Porsche offers and while it does seem pricey it really isn't bad when you compare what prices are for exclusive versions of an MB, Audi or BMW.
Afshin:

I think we all have to educate ourselves as to what Porsche's competition is doing re: customization before we go too deep in praising 'Porsche Exclusive'! Like you, I started out thinking that Porsche was way ahead of the pack in this area of customization and devoted quite a bit of effort in this forum in telling folks all about it! But other German manufacturers are catching up fast:

'BMW Individual', even two years ago when I last looked, was offering the following:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/c...ndividual.html

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._catalogue.pdf

'Audi Exclusive' is even more aggressive, especially in Europe and the Middle East! Attached is their old '10 'Audi Exclusive' catalog. This will give you an idea of what they can do re: customizing. This is an old catalog without prices from when I last looked in 2010! But I remember that some options are much cheaper than at Porsche! For example, if you order an existing color in production elsewhere on the Audi model range, PTS is only $2500. So 'Solar Orange' on a R8 (first photo) would be less than half of the $5500 charged presently by 'Porsche Exclusive'! The 'Signal Green' R8 (second photo) is probably more costly since it's not an Audi production color!

But even in the standard options on the upcoming '14 R8 Order Guides (see attachment), you will see stuff like deviating stitching in four colors ('red', 'Beige', 'Nougat Brown' and 'Madras Orange') for their Black leather interiors. If you select this option for approx. $250, your seats, doors & dash will have this awesome deviating color stitching! In contrast, deviating stitching is 'a la carte' at 'Porsche Exclusive'. $250 does not cover even the smallest deviating stitching on the smallest leather they offer! A full deviating stitching interior on a Porsche 911 can run close to $2000 and somewhat less in the smaller cabin of the Boxster!

So I think 'Porsche Exclusive' does indeed has to do a better job if it expects to be called truly successful. It needs to improve its communications with dealers and potential customers first of all. Then, it needs to closely look at some of its pricing. Some of the same PE options have almost double in cost from the 997 to 991! If this trend continues, they will surely terribly damage this program and many of us will simply give up on it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ae2010-1.pdf (1.40 MB, 698 views)
File Type: pdf
R8Guide-3.pdf (359.3 KB, 301 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Eduardo I agree with your comments regarding Porsche...with my second Boxster Spyder the reason I went with the red/black combination was because I was told they were never going to offer PTS for the Boxster Spyder...I kept on asking and asking and the answer was no no no...then they offer PTS for less than a 10 day period...I was not a happy camper and it was at that point I decided I would never get a new Porsche every again I have owned many over the years and I am 55 now and have more than a few good years left in which I would have been able to get more new Porsches but not anymore they have lost me forever as a customer of new cars...thank you for the opportunity to vent ...
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Hmmm... it seems more and more to me that Porsche is only interested in catering to the uber rich and famous. Outrageous pricing and selectively offering options only to 'special' buyers. That seems to contradict VW's goal for larger volume unless they think that the uber rich and wealthy numbers are growing exponentially. Perhaps it is, but I'm not one of them. That C7 is looking better and better everyday.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is there a Riviera or Mexico Blue 981 or 991 available anywhere? New or used...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruson
So is there a Riviera or Mexico Blue 981 or 991 available anywhere? New or used...
To buy? I doubt it.

There are Riviera Blue 981s but they belong to happy owners.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I am about to place at PTS order on a 991 C4S cab.....Mexico Blue.....will let you know what I am told. Selling my Spyder.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
grahal09
Intermediate

Hi everyone. Happy to help if anyone has questions. I see my 981 has been a topic of discussion here!

As for the steering wheel, I ordered it because its carbon. Its a street car, not a race car. I have paddles on my Cayenne GTS and they are cool, but lets be honest carbon is way cooler!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by grahal09
Hi everyone. Happy to help if anyone has questions. I see my 981 has been a topic of discussion here!
Welcome back, Graham! Love for you to compare the handling as you remembered from your Riviera Blue Spyder to this Riviera Blue 981S? Is the weight difference felt at all?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
grahal09
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brownan
The PTS Riviera Blue 981 is lovely but I am scratching my head wondering why that goofball steering wheel with the push/pull buttons got spec'ed instead of the sport wheel with contrasting stitching.
Originally Posted by Z356
Welcome back, Graham! Love for you to compare the handling as you remembered from your Riviera Blue Spyder to this Riviera Blue 981S? Is the weight difference felt at all?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I would be happy to compare once its dry enough to take it for a spin. The Boxster Spyder I loved, actually had my Green GT3 RS at the same time and almost wanted to sell the RS and keep the spyder as I liked it that much.

However from a quick few minutes I just feel the sportiness of the 981 is apparent at any speed. The car is fun to drive, way roomier for us tall guys, and I think its gorgeous looking. I did love the looks of the spyder though too, so really hard to say anything bad either way.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Eduardo, that green R8 has your name all over it!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Eduardo, that green R8 has your name all over it!
Ian, I think I need better eye glasses! I looked long & hard at that R8 for hours...and I can't find 'Eduardo' written, painted or scribbled anywhere on that beautiful shiny exterior? You must be pulling my chain!

By pure coincidence I happened to look up the history of this green R8 tonight. It was custom ordered by a customer from Tennessee. It is a MY2010 v10. The original owner sold it to buy a 'Samoa Orange' gt R8. Turns out the exact color on this R8 in question is not 'Signal Green'. It is 'RS Green', a Porsche color from the '07/'08 gt3 RS. Since it is not an Audi production color like 'Solar Orange', it had to cost much more than $2500!

I have also seen an Audi RS4 done in PTS 'RS Green'! And the fellow that posted right before you, Ian, knows all about PTS RS4's too, since he once owned a 'Glut Orange' RS4 himself! The circle of PTS owners is indeed very small and they tend to be repeat customers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Are you going to tip us off on your color direction for the R8? I prefer signal green to RS green, but it looks great anyway.

Quick Reply: PTS 981s