Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Sport Chrono question

I test drove a 2011 997S with sport chrono last Saturday. I know that sport chrono is almost a must with PDK, but I was really surprised with the resposiveness that sport chrono offered even with the manual tranny. Since it appears that the sales manager and I can't agree on a price for the 997, I will most likely be ordering a 981S in January.
My question is to those who own either a 987 or 981 with a manual tranny and sport chrono. Is sport chrono an option that you would recommend? Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sport Chrono on a spyder with manual tranny will get you:
1) stopwatch
2) more sensitive throttle - it doesn't actually add anything to performance, just a subjective feeling of the car being more responsive because you are at WOT earlier/faster in the pedal travel.
3) PSM will allow more slip angle in sport mode before intervening

I believe in a 981 it will also get you dynamic transmission mounts.... not sure what that does...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
1) stopwatch
2) more sensitive throttle - it doesn't actually add anything to performance, just a subjective feeling of the car being more responsive because you are at WOT earlier/faster in the pedal travel.

I believe in a 981 it will also get you dynamic transmission mounts.... not sure what that does...
Orthojoe - I think you are right on target. My dealer recommends ordering the PTV option becasue of the dynamic transmission mounts. He gave me a quick explanation but I can't recall what he said.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
1) stopwatch

As a chronograph, basically it completely sucks and is a total waste of money. It's real advantages are in the sport mode it adds for some models. It is unfortunate that on most Porsche models you can't the Sport mode without the wart on the dash. If the car you are looking at doesn't have PASM, it probably isn't that important. On Turbo models it is an absolute must as it gives over boost in Sport mode.

editing from above

2) More progressive throttle, applies greater throttle with less pedal motion
4) With PASM, sets shocks in a more aggressive dampening more
5) With PATM/PDEM, sets active mounts in stiffer/more progressive mode. You won't have this on a 987/997 unless it is a .2 GT3/GT3 RS/GT2 RS. It is now an option on the 981/991 if you are thinking about going that route.
6) With electronic differential, sets the differential in partial locking mode on the 981/991

I do know that you can now get a Sport mode retrofit kit that adds the Sport mode switch and functionality to 987 models without the wart on the dash. Not sure if they have released a similar kit for 997s.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove the 981 S and I can definitely say that Sport Plus, and Sports Exhaust are a MUST in that car. Pushing that button will send you to driving nirvana like no other P-car before, trust me.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on 981:

PTV is the limited slip diff with torque vectoring

SCP includes dynamic engine mounts, and Sport Plus button

On 981, Sport button is standard. I find Sport on my manual 981S more than sufficient for sharpening throttle response.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

sport chrono on 981 now includes a rev limit shift light on the rev counter... Note this is not the efficiency arrow...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the 981, Sport Chrono also includes the cool G-force meter...

I know, a pretty useless gadget, but it's fun!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it on my 997 and didn't use it. Like driving the car without the sport activated.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always engage Sport Plus. The car is faster w/ it on (it's not just a feel thing), and tightens up the dynamic trans mounts. I sometimes switch to the softer PASM mode but stay in Plus for the engine responsiveness.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono question