Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the 981 Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Saw the 981 Tonight

So I finally had an opportunity to see the new 981 S in person this evening at our local dealer.

I have to admit, it is a stunning car and very modern. The design flows beautifully and yet it has a sharper edge to it which gives it presence. The front end to me looks like a mix of some of the more recent Ferrari designs blended with recent Porsche designs.

The interior is a carbon copy of the 911 and Panamera, very luxurious and tasteful. I liked it but I almost felt like it was maybe a little too much for a sports car. The simple designs/layout of yesteryear have definitely been replaced with a more modern feel with a focus on electronics. It came across as more GT and less purpose built sports car. But who knows, I may grow tired of the inability to connect my phone to the radio and stream music or other stuff.

I think what impresses me most is the fact that Porsche made the effort to reduce the weight of the car and was able to increase its size and make the interior more luxurious. That is an incredible feat.

The car definitely looks bigger too, it has bigger front/rear bumpers and the hood seems to sit higher. This may be due to European bumper regulations.

For those of you who are buying one I don't think you'll be disappointed. The baby Boxster is all grown up.

Here are a couple shots I took, the second is my daughter Olivia in the passenger seat. She's already got plans for my Spyder when she turns 16
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
jaci
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks as though she has the Porsche "bug" already. Beautiful child!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 AM
FnHern
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics! The car is a beaut! And your daughter is so cute!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Afshin,

Looks like you and I were doing the same thing tonight:

My thoughts:
1) Interior is WAY more upscale. Very nice, but not what I really want in a sports car.
2) The car looks just as good as the pictures suggest, IMO
3) I still like the look of my spyder better (the spyder looks better in person than in the pictures, IMO)
4) I think this car will sell WELL. It looks great, much better than the old boxster S, IMO
5) Look at the picture of the brake caliper. Disappointing that they made the brake pad changes a PITA now. Why? Why?
6) love the look of the new 20" carrera wheels, hate that they're 20". Why?
7) opening for 3rd radiator is now a completely blocked off 'fake' opening. Looks weird...Why?

Last edited by orthojoe; 06-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Afshin, beautiful shot of your daughter. Is is just me or anyone else is under the impression that even though the interior is more upscale in the new era of cars, somehow the fit and finish seems to be of a higher quality on the 997/987 variants.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Afshin, beautiful shot of your daughter. Is is just me or anyone else is under the impression that even though the interior is more upscale in the new era of cars, somehow the fit and finish seems to be of a higher quality on the 997/987 variants.
Definately!
The fit & finish is definately better. Not that it was bad in the old models, but it's a noticable improvement.

The only thing I think is a step backwards is the font on the instrument dials... The 987 had really stylish font, in 981 it's a more standard block letter font. But I can live with that!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you. She stole the show last night. It wasn't me that put her into the passenger seat, all the woman egged her on and then asked me to take some pictures.

As far as the interior, I really don't know. I can say that the trim details look much nicer but I wasn't sure how nice the materials are and if they will hold up well. I would need to spend some more time in the 981 before I can say if it is better/worse than the 987. I will say that neither of the two cars last night had that leather smell that my Spyder has but I believe it has to do with my car having full leather.

I will say that the 981 does make the 987 look much older. I think most of this has to do with the rear wing being integrated into the body. In addition to that the tail lights being blended into the wing makes the car look even more modern. I really liked it.

Surprisingly what I liked least was the side intake and the curves around the rear wheel arches. I wish they did more with it. The intakes have way too much plastic on them. Obviously this is one of the area which I'm 100% sure will change with the 981.2.

But having said all that I still prefer my Spyder.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It came across as more GT and less purpose built sports car.

For those of you who are buying one I don't think you'll be disappointed. The baby Boxster is all grown up.

Here are a couple shots I took, the second is my daughter Olivia in the passenger seat. She's already got plans for my Spyder when she turns 16
I have mixed feelings about the new interiors, but I will have to see it in person. I am glad to hear it seems more upscale. I have also heard its a bit higher quality than the 987s. But I'm not sure I love the Panamera like appearance and the switch gear reminds me a bit of an Audi.

I think the only fair comparison is 987S to 981S. Spyders had a different purpose than the 987S. It seems from lots of posts I've seen Spyder owners thought the 987 S was a bit soft and too luxurious, so I don't imagine Spyder owners would have a different impression of a 981S.

Looks like Olivia is quite comfy in the 981. Maybe you will get to keep the Spyder and she will just ask you to get her a 981 when she turns 16

Afshin, Is is just me or anyone else is under the impression that even though the interior is more upscale in the new era of cars, somehow the fit and finish seems to be of a higher quality on the 997/987 variants.
The few things I've read seem to say that the interior of the 981 is higher quality than on the 987. However, I'm not sure I like the Panamera-ish design of the lower console/shifter area.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job, Afshin, now, make Olivia your new avatar picture.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Surprisingly what I liked least was the side intake and the curves around the rear wheel arches. I wish they did more with it. The intakes have way too much plastic on them. Obviously this is one of the area which I'm 100% sure will change with the 981.2.
I wonder (bet) Eric at Bumperplugs is already working on this with a paint to match core echange. Does it look possible?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree about the black plastic...way too much!

You can get the intakes painted. I did.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by jwade
Pics, please!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Great job, Afshin, now, make Olivia your new avatar picture.
Good Idea....just hope my son doesn't get jealous.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I wonder (bet) Eric at Bumperplugs is already working on this with a paint to match core echange. Does it look possible?
I bet you're right, it definitely looks removable and paintable.

Originally Posted by jwade
I agree about the black plastic...way too much!

PICTURES PLEASE!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Afshin,

Looks like you and I were doing the same thing tonight:

My thoughts:
1) Interior is WAY more upscale. Very nice, but not what I really want in a sports car.
2) The car looks just as good as the pictures suggest, IMO
3) I still like the look of my spyder better (the spyder looks better in person than in the pictures, IMO)
4) I think this car will sell WELL. It looks great, much better than the old boxster S, IMO
5) Look at the picture of the brake caliper. Disappointing that they made the brake pad changes a PITA now. Why? Why?
6) love the look of the new 20" carrera wheels, hate that they're 20". Why?
7) opening for 3rd radiator is now a completely blocked off 'fake' opening. Looks weird...Why?
It looks like your son was having a great time! So was he trying to talk you into buying the 981 or did he prefer the Spyder? Olivia liked the Guards Red better than my Basalt which was her reasoning for preferring the 981. Typical girl picking based on color.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Afshin, in about 25-30 years from now have your daughter (and son) re-take a picture like this with her daughter:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-and-now.html

Quick Reply: Saw the 981 Tonight