Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the 981 Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

you could always get the PCCBs.....
Old 06-30-2012, 05:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Pccbs on the 981 still use the 'easyout' design?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Late to the party, got to see one in the flesh on Thursday afternoon prior to the dealer "launch event".

Overall, the car is a looker, the rear wing/tailliights looked a lot better in person, very well integrated with the contoured rear bumper. The interior is more sophisticated and better integrated than the 987.1/987.2's (which had some 993/964 influences in them).

If I were in the market for a convertible the 981 would be on top of the shortlist. That being said besides the interior upgrades, bigger wheels, funky calipers I didn't notice any major differences in regards to the rear suspension ( took a quick peek under the car) and other visible mechanical components.

As far as the brakes, not having the bridge/gap makes the caliper stiffer, the again the brakes might not be a Brembo caliper like in the 987/986's maybe cost cutting by VW?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the brake info, guys. I'll have to check. I'm pretty sure I was told that I needed to remove the caliper on both the RS and the CR.

Is that not true? (photo: rear caliper on CR)
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost forgot, I saw and drove the 981 S, PDK (no sport-chrono), PASM, PTV, 20" w/Pirellis.

It's better than I expected in some ways (noticeably stiffer chassis than its predecessor and I like the right multifunction display and the rear wing/lights in most colors), a little worse in others (less feedback that I expect from a Porsche, interior too busy for a sportscar) - but mostly what I expected from Porsche's current direction and what others have said. I'd choose it over a 991, but I'm very happy I bought when I did.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
streaydog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I guess I am....
I'm looking at the pads and I don't see the pin that you punch out. But other than that, I can't tell just by the picture if its going to be more of a pain to change or not.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those in the photo look like the regular (easy to change) style. Love it, only about 30 minutes to do all 4 corners.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't worry, orthojoe, you're not alone (I'm just late to the game.. ). I had not noticed the different calipers when I was checking out a 981S, but they'll surely be PITA if the calipers need to come off to change brake pads... I usually do this AT THE TRACK in the morning and again before I drive home on the last day, so it could become terribly inconvenient if I ever bought a 981.

I'm a bit confused by what you wrote on the radiator scoop though. My 987S has the "3rd radiator scoop" but it's just a piece of plastic leading nowhere (I don't have the actual 3rd radiator). Is this different in Spyders? Or is it that you cannot install a 3rd radiator at all in 981?

I'll be posting my 981S impressions shortly.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:57 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

I missed the 981 launch parties even though I had RSVP'd. I was realllly exhausted and overslept...

However, I was at Pocono International Raceway (BUMPY!!) this weekend and a dealer brought a white 981S for anyone to test-drive. They also brought a Cayenne, Panamera, and... a Carrera GT!

I have to agree with all those who said that it looks MUCH better in person. I was never a fan of the 981 rear end but it looks spectacular in person. Some have denigrated the headlights... to me, they looked great.

'Everyone' was commenting on what a great car 981 is, including a Ferrari owner. A 993 owner was singing its praises and I just had to have a go.. Here are my impressions:

1) 981 looks spectacular/awesome/masculine/whatever you wanna call it.

2) I'm sure it'll depend on options, but the handling is superb... so much so that it almost felt like driving a luxury cruiser on Sunday drive instead of carving through twisties and turns at illegal speeds.

3) It makes you wonder how Carrera GT fares in comparison (yes, a lot more ponies and absolutely no nannies)...

4) I've been lusting over Spyders since 2009. 981S seriously made me consider my options again. No, still getting a Spyder.

NOT as good:

5) Rear visibility is terrible. MUCH worse than 987 with the top up (we got a brief sprinkle).

6) Steering = very good, though I can certainly see how 'enthusiasts' wouldn't necessarily approve... It's not "numb" as some say... just toned down and confident - see "Sunday-drive" analogy above.

7) I managed to put the PDK into limp mode..... tried to do a launch control but it never activated.. instead gave me a warning message. In all fairness, the car was test-driven all day... including by the 993 and Evora owners who HAD launched it previously.

8) One of the salesmen from the dealer was a total A$$HOLE!!! I don't know if it was how I look or my age, but the ***** wouldn't give me the time of day to say the least (all of the other guys were great)....... so I had a GREAT time chatting with the GM and another salesman about a potential Spyder email list or coming out to test a 981S manual - you should've seen his face during these conversations.

In closing, the 981 was awesome. I never got a ride in Carrera GT. But here are some pics.

Last edited by the_vetman; 11-28-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

BTW, am I the only one who is annoyed with the new brake calipers? I don't understand why they would do it this way...
No - it was one thing I didn't like either. And if I recall correctly, the caliper bolts are not supposed to be used more than once. I know people re-torque them, but I think the manual says not to. That could get expensive if you need new bolts for each pad change!

I'm also not a fan of the 20" wheel trend. Must be some conspiracy with the tire manufacturers to extract more $$ for rubber.

I will say the new version looks better overall than the prior one - with the exception of the Spyder. Not a fan of the rear end or the spoiler, or a few other details, but overall the contour of the top is much better - it looks less like a submarine.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by streaydog
I'm looking at the pads and I don't see the pin that you punch out. But other than that, I can't tell just by the picture if its going to be more of a pain to change or not.
Take a look at the circled areas. The pads won't easily slide out anymore because there are bars integrated into the caliper.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
No - it was one thing I didn't like either. And if I recall correctly, the caliper bolts are not supposed to be used more than once. I know people re-torque them, but I think the manual says not to. That could get expensive if you need new bolts for each pad change!
Yup. I circled one of the caliper bolts. With the painted surface, I wouldn't be suprised if they charged you $$$$ for a painted replacement caliper bolt

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I'm a bit confused by what you wrote on the radiator scoop though. My 987S has the "3rd radiator scoop" but it's just a piece of plastic leading nowhere (I don't have the actual 3rd radiator). Is this different in Spyders? Or is it that you cannot install a 3rd radiator at all in 981?

See the area circled? It's blocked off completely. A 'fake' opening. It's normally open with nothing behind it if you don't have a 3rd radiator.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

See the area circled? It's blocked off completely. A 'fake' opening. It's normally open with nothing behind it if you don't have a 3rd radiator.
Both of my Spyders had this blocked... If I remember correctly only the PDK gets the center open for the transmission cooler. Looks like it's different for the 981 PDK though. The difference though is that the Spyder's blocked panel has ribs in the plastic that make it look like it's functional. No big deal though.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Ah, therefore my confusion. On a 987S, there is a very similar opening with a fake "scoop", though it's a lot deeper than in the 981. As Cayman said, mine has almost the exact same fake opening (just deeper) with a plastic liner that blocks any airflow rearward. 3rd radiator is standard in this location in PDK and tiptronic.

Does your Spyder have an actual opening where the air is allowed to flow past the front bumper? I can see all kinds of applications for this... though I've read somewhere that the front 'fake' opening is designed to direct air to radiators on either side...

BTW, a very cute kid! Congrats!

Mind if I ask what's your ethinicity? Just out of curiosity.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

RDB, I am with you on the 20's. I ordered the 19's which I think are quite nice. Will probably get mine painted a color Iiked that is only offered in the 20 inch size.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cayman
Both of my Spyders had this blocked... If I remember correctly only the PDK gets the center open for the transmission cooler. Looks like it's different for the 981 PDK though. The difference though is that the Spyder's blocked panel has ribs in the plastic that make it look like it's functional. No big deal though.
Originally Posted by the_vetman
Ah, therefore my confusion. On a 987S, there is a very similar opening with a fake "scoop", though it's a lot deeper than in the 981. As Cayman said, mine has almost the exact same fake opening (just deeper) with a plastic liner that blocks any airflow rearward. 3rd radiator is standard in this location in PDK and tiptronic.

Does your Spyder have an actual opening where the air is allowed to flow past the front bumper? I can see all kinds of applications for this... though I've read somewhere that the front 'fake' opening is designed to direct air to radiators on either side...

BTW, a very cute kid! Congrats!

Mind if I ask what's your ethinicity? Just out of curiosity.
Crap! I just looked at my spyder. You guys are right! The opening on my spyder is 'fake' too! LOL. It's just deeper and more narrow so it's not as obvious as it is on the 981.

vetman- Thanks! I'm Taiwanese, but born/raised in Michigan.

Quick Reply: Saw the 981 Tonight