Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Boxster OFFICIAL photos...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
cesar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it! My next car for sure.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did they move the fuel gauge?
To the TFT display ?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful.. We also have a 987... This one is just mouth watering.. I think they scored big on looks and performance ..

Question is.. Are they cannibalising the cayman ?...I think the line is now officially blurry ..
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mzn50
Beautiful.. We also have a 987... This one is just mouth watering.. I think they scored big on looks and performance ..

Question is.. Are they cannibalising the cayman ?...I think the line is now officially blurry ..
i agree on the looks - Cayman is still hard top so i don't see the blur there?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CPA4S
Agree.. I was talking more on looks and performance.. Pricing them out.. They are in the same range..

I'm more shocked that I never noticed you being local in Ottawa.. And a nice collection of cars..

Once the spring comes around and were back to near "Human" temperatures .. Would Love to check out you Turbo..

Matt
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 AM
chris_berger1
AutoX

I hate it! Looks like a cross between the old BMW Z4 and a Lexus with MB SLKish rear lights and spoiler. After a few used Porsche
I was going to buy my first new Porsche as a retirement gift to myself after 21 years in the Military. It won't be the new Boxster S, and for the price of a new 991 I can get an almost new Aston Martin Vantage which is a sexy ride. I guess I will star looking for a used Spyder or a nice 69-73 911.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
Where did they move the fuel gauge?
To the TFT display ?
Yes, it's in the upper part of the TFT display.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The big question will be on performance and how the 'improvements' affect the overall feel of the vehicle and it's on road behaviour.

Looks you can argue about all day, since every person has an individual opinion. I have a feeling that this redesign will fall to more the 996 side as opposed to the 997 when we look back on it. While it is new and eye catching, just don't think it will age well. I can see the headlights, and rear spoiler being eye sores later.

From some angles the car looks great though. Would rather get the new 911 for the extra cash.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_berger1
I hate it! Looks like a cross between the old BMW Z4 and a Lexus with MB SLKish rear lights and spoiler. After a few used Porsche
I was going to buy my first new Porsche as a retirement gift to myself after 21 years in the Military. It won't be the new Boxster S, and for the price of a new 991 I can get an almost new Aston Martin Vantage which is a sexy ride. I guess I will star looking for a used Spyder or a nice 69-73 911.
+1

This new Boxster has made the Boxster Spyder all the more desireable as a driver's car. I just wish they went with a light weight Miata style manual top rather than that overly complicated bikini top.
The new Boxster seems geared toward an ageing buyer that wants a slightly edgier version of a Lexus convertible. I read that the CEO is putting the kibosh on a shorter wheel base, lighter 914'esque roadster. He thinks it will be lost on the current generation of younger buyers. I read that as "it will make it obvious that we are moving away from sports car and towards luxury car".
p.s.
The rear of the 991 barely looks like a Carrera. More like a Jaguar.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by perfectlap
+1

This new Boxster has made the Boxster Spyder all the more desireable as a driver's car. I just wish they went with a light weight Miata style manual top rather than that overly complicated bikini top.
The new Boxster seems geared toward an ageing buyer that wants a slightly edgier version of a Lexus convertible. I read that the CEO is putting the kibosh on a shorter wheel base, lighter 914'esque roadster. He thinks it will be lost on the current generation of younger buyers. I read that as "it will make it obvious that we are moving away from sports car and towards luxury car".
p.s.
The rear of the 991 barely looks like a Carrera. More like a Jaguar.
Hard to asses styling of sports cars until you see them in person. From what I have heard from porsche insiders, there is nothing Lexus like about the performance of the new BOxster...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
Hard to asses styling of sports cars until you see them in person. From what I have heard from porsche insiders, there is nothing Lexus like about the performance of the new BOxster...
Lexus make some quick cars, deadly so. But My comments weren't directed at the engineering of the Boxster or 991. The one thing you can count on with the newest Porsche is Rohrl time sheets... to go with the grandpa ride and barka lounger.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Lexus make some quick cars, deadly so. But My comments weren't directed at the engineering of the Boxster or 991. The one thing you can count on with the newest Porsche is Rohrl time sheets... to go with the grandpa ride and barka lounger.
Its all about sales and marketing...most car buyers, especially in the porsche price range like to be comfy, even in there sports car. The true hard core sports car guys we see on forums like this are in the minority and porsche knows this. Look at the spyder--an amazing car that was also beautiful at a reasonable price. This car should have been sold out instantly and been sold above MSRP. But many people worried about the roof and seats and no AC, etc.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I really hope they keep the 6 cylinder boxer in the Boxster line. Anything else would be a disappointment, regardless of the HP.

As for the launch colors... I cannot believe they chose Beige and Brown. Seriously. They are without any shadow of a doubt the LEAST sporty colors in the rainbow. These two colors are ubiquitously considered to be colors that scream luxury car, not sports car.

When someone says Lexus, people think beige.
When someone says Lexus, they think luxury.

When I think of the Boxster, I think sports car.

What does Porsche think of when they think of the Boxster?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
James Herne
Instructor

+1 regarding the colors.
Porsche knows that you and me, we are won by Porsche already and they don't need our opinion. They are after new people. Since Porsche introduced the Tiptronic box, they have tried to sell Porsches to "non-Porsche" people.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
What does Porsche think of when they think of the Boxster?
The real answer? They think of selling as many units as they can.

If they just catered to us enthusiasts, they would go out of business. Knowing that, I think they did a great job. The car looks fantastic. I know many friends who would never have considered a boxster before and are now seriously considering the 981. It will be interesting to see if the old 'stereotype' demographic boxster buyer (female, hairdresser) still like the new design. I can tell you those colors you dislike were meant to appease them.

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster OFFICIAL photos...