Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Boxster OFFICIAL photos...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are great times, I just happen to like what Porsche is offering!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
My hairdresser drives a 997 Cabriolet. The few women I have known who own Porsches all drive Cayennes.
I'm not sure how this perception that folks in the hair industry and females prefer an impractical roadster over a large convertible or SUV but it really is just that, a false perception. If anything the perception should be that the Boxster and Cayman is popular with middle-aged to retired professional males. Second hand ownership seems to fall towards young professional males and frequent autocrossers and racers looking for the lowest cost to race (BSR/BSX).

p.s.
997 Cabriolet and Cayenne buyers will indeed like the new Boxster. They have no interest in a minimalist sports car/roadster.
Over the last three years I've had four women approach me and make flattering comments about my Boxster. Last summer for example, one woman in her early 30s approached me, smiled and said that I was driving her car. I have no idea what cars these women owned, but they certainly like Boxsters.

In my area the small number of Boxsters and Corvettes that I've seen on the road were driven by guys in the 50 - 60 year old range, which shouldn't be surprising for $60K+ cars that seat two. These aren't the kind of cars that I would expect young married guys with children to be driving because of their impracticality and high price.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes. your car.
But hopefully owned by some softie who only drove around the block to get ice cream every week. I like frequent but miminal miles on my residual loss acquisitions.
Ah, the irony of the enthusiast that covets a car owned by a non-enthusiast. It always makes me laugh when I see a used GT3 advertised as "no miles and never tracked!". You're basically advertising, "Yes! I never really used or enjoyed this car! I just bought it to take a hit from the depreciation!" That being said, I would have no problems buying a car that was tracked IF it was properly maintained and not over-rev'd. I know of 4 spyders in the bay area that are tracked on a regular basis.

But that interior. Man...Maybe someone will figure out how to rip out and retrofit the eventual R interior, if they offer a spartan version. I can only imagine what that interior swap would cost.
When I first saw the interior of the 991, I felt the same way. I disliked the cues taken from the Panamera, a car I just don't care for. It looked more luxury than sporty. Then it started to grow on me. By the time I gave in, the 981 interior pics came out and I had already been won over. At least it looks nice and it hasn't made the car heavier. I'd rather have the 991/981 'luxury' interior than a corvette interior. Corvette interior could be considered spartan, but my god it's horrible, horrible.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather have an F430 interior. It looks high end without looling Starbucks Pumpkin Latte. Obviously the seats could be a little more padded than this Scuderia but no need to go all Panamera cruise ship cockpit.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even in that context I've had three old guys for every female approach me to make comments. No hairdressers yet. The old timers always have the same sort of comments "you have the car I always dreamed of but I had family obligations". They gaze at it like its some $150K Ferrari. One guy who looked just like Samuel L. Jackson pulled up next to me one summer during bad highway traffic, looks over the car and and says "F**k yeah! Hell mother f***n yeah! Now that's what I'm mother f***'n talking about! F**k yeah...."

Oh Kay....

what do you say that? I think I just smiled and nodded.

One time I had a tall statuesque long hair in her late 20's follow me to my car at this strip mall parking lot. I'd parked the car with the top down. She made no conversation other than to hand me her number and politely requested that I call her. LOL. She got in her car (SUV) and drove away. after a short conversation on the phone I agreed to meet up with her over drinks at a nearby Friday's or something where she revealed that she was basically insane, the spoiled daughter of some 70's TV producer.

Originally Posted by fast1
Over the last three years I've had four women approach me and make flattering comments about my Boxster. Last summer for example, one woman in her early 30s approached me, smiled and said that I was driving her car. I have no idea what cars these women owned, but they certainly like Boxsters.

In my area the small number of Boxsters and Corvettes that I've seen on the road were driven by guys in the 50 - 60 year old range, which shouldn't be surprising for $60K+ cars that seat two. These aren't the kind of cars that I would expect young married guys with children to be driving because of their impracticality and high price.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'd rather have an F430 interior. It looks high end without looling Starbucks Pumpkin Latte. Obviously the seats could be a little more padded than this Scuderia but no need to go all Panamera cruise ship cockpit.

I couldnt agree with you more on that one!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
By the time I gave in, the 981 interior pics came out and I had already been won over. At least it looks nice and it hasn't made the car heavier.
Actually, I think it has. From what I understand, with the 981/991 a lot of aluminum has been used in the body panels and chassis just to maintain outgoing 987/997 weights. Things like aluminum doors and deck lid will no longer be weight savings on the Spyder, etc. So, in essence, these cars are heavier, as there aren't many more tricks in the book for the 'lightweight', more sporting versions (other than expensive carbon fiber). We shall see...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Actually, I think it has. From what I understand, with the 981/991 a lot of aluminum has been used in the body panels and chassis just to maintain outgoing 987/997 weights. Things like aluminum doors and deck lid will no longer be weight savings on the Spyder, etc. So, in essence, these cars are heavier, as there aren't many more tricks in the book for the 'lightweight', more sporting versions (other than expensive carbon fiber). We shall see...
You make a good point here. I did not realize that the doors and decklid were now all aluminum. Not much to work with on weight savings on a spyder version unless you start stripping the interior or go $$$ carbon fiber....
Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

That is the exact point I had made earlier in another thread. Porsche has already used many of the weight saving tricks to maintain the weight of the new car. The only differences I would see on a new Spyder would be the elimination of the top, the Carbon Sport Bucket Seats, no A/C and no radio for a total weight savings of about 110 Lbs. They may also include the lightweight battery as standard to shave another 30 Lbs. An equally optioned 981 Spyder would be about 150 Lbs heavier than a 987 Spyder, maybe even more.

I'm not sure that much weight will have a huge impact if the car has much more power which I assume it will when the Spyder version is introduced. More important though is how well the car communicates what it is doing with the driver. If this is lost then I wouldn't consider the 981 a true sports car. I will reserve my judgement until after I have driven the car.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:45 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 454 Posts

Wow...I think I will have to re-think things and maybe sell my Z4M for one in 20113-2014 after they iron out those 1st year Porsche nuances that they always have. But it looks very good..like the Carrera GT cues. Yep one in black/grey interior I thinik is in the 48mo plan for me! Now what to give up out of the collection? Hmm...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Wow...I think I will have to re-think things and maybe sell my Z4M for one in 20113-2014 after they iron out those 1st year Porsche nuances that they always have. But it looks very good..like the Carrera GT cues. Yep one in black/grey interior I thinik is in the 48mo plan for me! Now what to give up out of the collection? Hmm...
Keep the Z and get rid of one of the Audi's or X6?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Keep the Z and get rid of one of the Audi's or X6?
My thoughts exactly...the Z4M is still a rare beast as they only made them from 2006-2008 (not as rare as the coupe version tho) but our A4 is leased for another 26 months so at that time or likely in about 12-24 months I could feasibly sell/trade/return it for a nice base Boxster 981 outfitted the way I want and wifey can have the X6 for daily driving duties or rotate depending on what is avail or needed for the day.

I did think (briefly) of letting the C4S go but then came to my senses...she's too sweet to let go anywhere...and the A7 is just that good that its not even a question for sedan sports transport at a faction of Panamera costs!

Pics of the current stable...thanks for the confirming advice!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

You make a good point here. I did not realize that the doors and decklid were now all aluminum. Not much to work with on weight savings on a spyder version unless you start stripping the interior or go $$$ carbon fiber....
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That is the exact point I had made earlier in another thread. Porsche has already used many of the weight saving tricks to maintain the weight of the new car. The only differences I would see on a new Spyder would be the elimination of the top, the Carbon Sport Bucket Seats, no A/C and no radio for a total weight savings of about 110 Lbs. They may also include the lightweight battery as standard to shave another 30 Lbs. An equally optioned 981 Spyder would be about 150 Lbs heavier than a 987 Spyder, maybe even more.

I'm not sure that much weight will have a huge impact if the car has much more power which I assume it will when the Spyder version is introduced. More important though is how well the car communicates what it is doing with the driver. If this is lost then I wouldn't consider the 981 a true sports car. I will reserve my judgement until after I have driven the car.
For the next Spyder I'm sure they will resort to the same tricks that they reserved for the RS 997's, carbon hood, carbon front wings and maybe even carbon rear deck, Either way I hope they give us a 'Spyder' 981.
It's all good, time will tell.

PS have you noticed PCCB is cheaper, lees than $8k now, on a Boxster, anyone now more tempted to get it?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd say you're being a bit harsh. To me, the 981 is still a great car, and I don't see how the 981 is such a drastic stray from it's predecessor. It's no secret that that Porsche dropped the ball from a visual design aspect on both the 996 AND 986. The prototype 986 looked great, but that's not how it ended up looking. I know very few people that think those cars look fantastic. Nobody likes stereotypes, but stereotypes come up because it's a common occurence. Let's face it, the vast majority Porsche buyers are not car enthusiasts and don't surf these forums. Porsche is in business to make money, not to make me and you happy.

They did a nice improvement on the 997 and 987. They knocked it out of the ball park with the spyder. I think they did a great job with the 991 and a fantastic job on the 981.

The 981 is still lightweight, and I'll bet it performs better than than 987. I hear what you're saying about minimalist, etc. I own a spyder. I'm in the same boat as you when when it comes to the philosophy of a true sports car, but let's not get carried away and smear the 981 and toss it in the trash...
According to porsches numbers, the 981S is faster to 60 than the 987 spyder, and that says a great deal....
Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scycle2020
According to porsches numbers, the 981S is faster to 60 than the 987 spyder, and that says a great deal....
Acceleration IMHO is a very small part of what a sports car should be able to do. Anything less than 5 seconds is plenty quick to get the adrenaline pumping and I really can't see why more is needed unless you're competing in the quarter mile. I feel the same way about Top Speed, it is nearly impossible to take advantage of Porsches (or any other high speed car's) top speed on the street or even the track. More important to me is how well the car communicates, how well it is built, how it handles, how fun it is to drive and how it looks. The car needs to have a generous amount of all of the above to really be perfect. IMHO the 987 Spyder does all of this at a very reasonable price. It remains to be seen if the 981 Spyder will communicate as well and if it will be as fun to drive. If it is fun and communicates well it will be a huge hit!

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster OFFICIAL photos...