Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porschemaster.com Steering Wheel - Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 05:16 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,041 Likes on 1,750 Posts

Very interested in these wheels. Also concerned about aftermarket airbag. I'd love to know for sure who makes that airbag.

I wonder if they can make an alcantara wheel to match my OEM wheel.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:16 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

I asked about the leather and airbag, and he said:

"Leather is synthetic (same as OEM)
Airbag quality is the same as OEM, 100% safety tested, will not cause airbag light, made in China Taiwan factory"
Old 05-09-2024, 09:41 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IraceRN
I have one that I bought. I kept the airbag, and I have the wheel up for sale. I bought a used OEM wheel off eBay. The Porschemaster one is good for the price. It has an authentic core with aftermarket wiring, trim, buttons and vegan/fuax leather. I like the authentic leather for that butter smooth feel. The faux leather is grippier and feels nice, and the buttons feel 80-90% of an OEM wheel, but it just was off enough in quality that I decided to put it up for sale and get the authentic/OEM thing. Plus, I realized the GT-style bolted-on plastics was a bit too aggressive for my tastes.

Also, I bought the GPSadapter so my sport chrono 981 has multifunction now, and I set the joker key using PIWIS. It is nice to have controls. Makes huge difference.

The PDK paddles are metal, solid, feel nice, pull nice. They are higher/lower, as you can see, which could be nice for a more aggressive look and are probably easier to pull mid turn. They feel OEM in terms of quality. No complaints there.

Vegan leather is grippier, feels like leather, but not the butter-soft, premium leather of the OEM wheels. It has a more full grain feel, while feeling thinner like OEM vegan/faux leather wheels.

Buttons and scroll work and aren't tacky/cheap, but they are a bit more economy class versus premium class in tactility.

Chrome pieces are not the shiniest chrome, but they are shinier than OEM. The OEM chrome looks a bit more like unfinished polished like maybe 5000 grit, but the chrome pieces on this wheel are just a tad shinier. Not quite classic car bumper mirror shiny, but just a fraction more.

Again, you have to be a little OCPD like me to notice or care. For the price for a brand new wheel and to upgrade the interior, most won't have any complaints, as long as they understand what they are buying.

I'm selling mine for $450 obo shipped. Paid $1149.13 for airbag/wheel/tax. William at PorscheMaster can get you a new airbag or someone can buy one used or new on eBay. I'm trying to find out what the airbag would go for from William.
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1407479
Quoting myself from a previous thread.

The airbag leather feels a bit more butter soft, and it looks more soft and authentic like an OEM airbag. The fact that it is wrapped and not a plastic piece is nice. The emblem and airbag feels genuine, and it won't set off an airbag light or anything, but it is worth mentioning that it appears to be a genuine OEM airbag, but mine had a BMW G20 part number on it, so it wasn't a Porsche OEM airbag. FWIW, there are parts like buttons and side markers that are on supercars like Lamborghini or Ferrari that come off VWs and Fords or whatever, and the used part is significantly marked up for the supercars compared to the Golf or Focus they are also on, so I have no doubt in my mind that these are genuine airbags, but I'm sure they are just cheaper because they could be commissioned for a BMW and rebadged to be Porsches from that supplier. Or they could be recalled and resold. Who knows?

Also, I have the light bar, and I like it. Mine is smoked, so it blends into the black paint, and it is only lit when the lights are on. It doesn't have that OEM fit and finish, but overall the product is 9/10 for what it is. The clear might be the brightest if someone wants the light output to be closer to the tail lights.

I'm considering getting the exhaust tips from William too. They don't have the fit and finish of Fabspeed, but I think the size and poke out is better, and I really like the titanium/titanium-style tips. Soul has some titanium tips that are literally just the tips and not the X-pipe, and they are almost double (for those with deeper pockets than mine). These mimic the GT4 RS Weissach style the best they can. Like the Soul tips, the PM version is straight, where as the authentic Akroprovic Titanium exhaust tips on the Weissach package are on sale for $3.5k down from $5k...no thank you (see link below for those with deep Mariana Trench pockets)...and they have a bit of an outer chamfer/taper to the end. Here are a few pics of the exhaust tips, some from the website, some from a 987 that William sent me, and some of the authentic $5k tips.

https://www.porschemaster.com/produc...-exhaust-tips/
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-7...-exhaust-tips/
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...IaAkTlEALw_wcB

​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by IraceRN:
dave_987 (05-17-2024), ralphsmit (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:53 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I hate to get away from the steering wheel topic, but this still stays with Porschemaster.com.
I have heard great reviews about the rear light bar that they have for the 981. I thought it was a bit pricy for what it is, not knowing if I would really like it on my car, so I made my own for about $50.
This is the thread that I used for the idea.
(1) 911 styled led rear light for 718 | Porsche 718 Forum
I have the rear light bar. It is an acrylic/acrylic-type super hard material and somewhat flexible plastic with a light embedded in the material with a harness that plugs into the stock tail light harness. Fitment from tail to tail is perfectly snug. Comes with exterior 3M/3M-style double sided tape on one side and a scratch protection film on the other. I bought it off eBay from his store, and bid down and got a bit of a discount. Overall, happy and feel it wasn't overpriced for what I paid considering the low volume of the product.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:59 AM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

New airbags are $500-580 in plain, leather and Alcantara with polished or black rings. https://www.porschemaster.com/produc...l-accessories/
Old 05-10-2024, 10:46 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

On IraceRN's description, he talks about the chrome on his wheel being a little shinier than the chrome on the Porsche. I assume he is referring to the interior trim pieces. On my wheel, I would classify it as a satin silver finish, and mine is not as reflective as the interior trim on my car. See my photo on post #4. I had decided to go with the silver trim on the wheel instead of the all black one because I thought it would tie in with the dash trim and look more cohesive. While the difference isn't something that bothers me, I thought it would be worth mentioning here. Maybe the difference in finish between ours are because he got one with the controls and I didn't?
Old 05-10-2024, 11:14 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I emailed them to see if they can do an alcantara wheel to match my OEM GTS wheel. I also asked about the airbags.
Stay tuned.

EDIT: Are these wheels much thicker than stock? They look it in the pics.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 05-10-2024 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:43 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I emailed them to see if they can do an alcantara wheel to match my OEM GTS wheel. I also asked about the airbags.
Stay tuned.

EDIT: Are these wheels much thicker than stock? They look it in the pics.
look two posts up
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 01:46 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxdriver
On IraceRN's description, he talks about the chrome on his wheel being a little shinier than the chrome on the Porsche. I assume he is referring to the interior trim pieces. On my wheel, I would classify it as a satin silver finish, and mine is not as reflective as the interior trim on my car. See my photo on post #4. I had decided to go with the silver trim on the wheel instead of the all black one because I thought it would tie in with the dash trim and look more cohesive. While the difference isn't something that bothers me, I thought it would be worth mentioning here. Maybe the difference in finish between ours are because he got one with the controls and I didn't?
If it is at all obvious, it is the horizontal section on the top. Anything perpendicular/vertical to my field of view and not parallel is more satin. The interior is mimicking polished aluminum, which looks a bit less cheap than a more chromed look.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:15 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

If going the OEM route, anyone know the part numbers for the wheel/airbag that would work with our cars?

I have the sport design wheel with paddles.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:50 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
If going the OEM route, anyone know the part numbers for the wheel/airbag that would work with our cars?

I have the sport design wheel with paddles.
Multifunction Steering Wheel w/ Heating, w/ PDK paddles, black leather:
991-044-400-32-A34

I opted to delete the multifunction buttons which requires the following trim pieces:
9P1-419-936-F-5Q0
9P1-419-937-F-5Q0
95B-419-938-H-5Q0
9P1-419-936-E-5Q0
9P1-419-937-E-5Q0

I believe you can source any used airbag from a 718/991.2/Macan.

Here's the final result on my car:

The following 2 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
Mike981S (06-12-2024), Sajan (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 02:19 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

the 3rd brake light for a 981 is truly fantastic quality and value
Old 05-13-2024, 07:28 AM
cjrhoades
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

I was thinking about upgrading to a heated wheel, but it looks like I would need a new clockspring which porschemaster doesn't sell. Anyone know where I could obtain one at a reasonable price? I currently have the 981 sport design wheel without multifunction buttons.

Originally Posted by rr_gts
I asked about the leather and airbag, and he said:

"Leather is synthetic (same as OEM)
Airbag quality is the same as OEM, 100% safety tested, will not cause airbag light, made in China Taiwan factory"
I'm assuming they're referring to the current gen wheels? I'm pretty certain the leather on my 981 wheel is not synthetic.

Last edited by cjrhoades; 05-13-2024 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (06-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:48 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 324 Posts

Quoting myself from a previous thread.
I'm considering getting the exhaust tips from William too. They don't have the fit and finish of Fabspeed, but I think the size and poke out is better, and I really like the titanium/titanium-style tips.
Not sure if you meant poke out is better or worse on the Fabspeed. Here's a shot of my Fabspeed tips with a GT4 diffuser.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:49 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Not sure if you meant poke out is better or worse on the Fabspeed. Here's a shot of my Fabspeed tips with a GT4 diffuser.

GREAT PLATE!

Quick Reply: Porschemaster.com Steering Wheel - Reviews?