Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foxwell OBD scanner review

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 05:43 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

brewerbry, Here are the sequence of screens to get to the Thorax Airbag setting:

Let me know if you have any further questions.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 12:17 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you guys are Foxwell experts, so I'll share my troubles here. I've got an NT530. Used to to clear COV codes. Next morning got PDLS warning (though lights do auto-level on start), and Auto-start/stop warning. After reseting the codes they come back again on ignition. Those were non issues before i reset codes with NT530. How do i debug PDLS / auto-stop systems with NT530?

Did oil change today. NT530 doesn't like 20210227 date, wouldn't take any 2021 year date input. Anyone had any luck with it?
Old 02-28-2021, 01:00 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Unfortunately for us 981 owners, we do not get all of the programming menu options that the 987 does - all we get is the passenger occupancy sensor programming so no luck for us to code out the thorax airbag.

The one good piece of data is that you can determine the actual live resistance value for the thorax airbag and potentially fool the ecu by inserting a resistor of the same value - that is the route I will try. FYI my driver's thorax airbag resistance value was 2.7 ohms.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:01 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I am not sure - what model is your car and what is the cov code?
Old 02-28-2021, 05:53 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by brewerbry
I am not sure - what model is your car and what is the cov code?
oh, apologies. I just realized I'm on 987 forum. I've got a 2013 C2S (991). Initially it was a fault with change over valves. Are you referring to the actual error code number?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:01 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,792 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
NT530 doesn't like 20210227 date, wouldn't take any 2021 year date input. Anyone had any luck with it?
Ha!
I too tried to enter 20210227 as the date I coded my steering wheel Sport and Launch Control lights, and was similarly unable to get it to accept this date.
I tried swapping the YYYYMMDD sequence to YYYYDDMM - as I know the US gets it **** backwards sometimes - and this did not work either.
So, I just accepted the default 20130203 date as prompted.
No issues (except for historical review of changes I guess).

On the plus side, engine rev limited look good, and steering wheel lights coded fine:

Old 03-01-2021, 12:45 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Ha!
I too tried to enter 20210227 as the date I coded my steering wheel Sport and Launch Control lights, and was similarly unable to get it to accept this date.
I tried swapping the YYYYMMDD sequence to YYYYDDMM - as I know the US gets it **** backwards sometimes - and this did not work either.

On the plus side, engine rev limited look good, and steering wheel lights coded fine:
While that's ok for steering wheel, the date is quite important component for service indicator.

What is engine rev limiter? Are you guys changing the engine rev limits with this?
Old 03-01-2021, 03:51 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

While that's ok for steering wheel, the date is quite important component for service indicator.
Agreed!

What is engine rev limiter? Are you guys changing the engine rev limits with this?
Sorry, incorrect phrasing.
I think the correct term is 'Over Rev', and indication as to the number of RPM attained within RPM range considered excessive.
An issue for manual, but less so for PDKs for obvious reasons...

Old 03-01-2021, 03:53 AM
rubenhak
Racer

I think the correct term is 'Over Rev', and indication as to the number of RPM attained within RPM range considered excessive.
An issue for manual, but less so for PDKs for obvious reasons...
So you guys are reprogramming to allow revving beyond red line?
Old 03-01-2021, 03:59 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

So you guys are reprogramming to allow revving beyond red line?
No, merely to review the number of revolutions that have passed in the 'Over Rev' range in the history of the car (based on the hour meter).
I am not sure you can resent the redline this way...
Old 03-01-2021, 04:00 AM
rubenhak
Racer

No, merely to review the number of revolutions that have passed in the 'Over Rev' range in the history of the car (based on the hour meter).
I am not sure you can resent the redline this way...
oh, now understood
Old 03-04-2021, 02:30 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Ha!

After updating Foxwell NT530 I got quite impressed with with it. Could enter proper oil change date. Register battery (which also clears errors with auto stop/start & PDL). Also found enormous list of tests and special functions in each of the menu. To update you would need a quite old computer with something like Windows 7 or similar running on it.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:48 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

After updating Foxwell NT530 I got quite impressed with with it. Could enter proper oil change date. Register battery (which also clears errors with auto stop/start & PDL). Also found enormous list of tests and special functions in each of the menu. To update you would need a quite old computer with something like Windows 7 or similar running on it.
Agreed, as I've been a Chromebook user for six years now.
I suppose I could visit someone stuck in the 1990s...
Note too, the USB connector on the device dates from a similar era.

As you suggest, there is a pile of options for coding, including LED / Incandescent front indicators, and being able to turn on or off the sidelight to indicator repeaters.
It has an option for High Beam and Fog Light switch or similar, but I've not investigated what this does yet.
I cannot see any DRL entries though.

One day someone should document all the Customer-Specific Settings for each Control Module...
The following users liked this post:
rubenhak (03-07-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 02:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

As you suggest, there is a pile of options for coding, including LED / Incandescent front indicators, and being able to turn on or off the sidelight to indicator repeaters.
It has an option for High Beam and Fog Light switch or similar, but I've not investigated what this does yet.
I cannot see any DRL entries though.
I explored the light options a bit - there is an option for the type of lights in the rear - blank, LED, incandescent. Mine was set to blank, I decided to change it to LED - that gave me a bulb out warning message and double-fast blink whenever I used either turnsignal, despite the 987.2 coming with LED lights. SO - I went back into the menu and selected incandescent and everything was fine again. that sort of confirms my thinking that a lot of the de-codes and reverse engineering required for these tools is coming from a single source, there are a number of reversed-function faults like this in the iCarScan X431 tool..

I also didn't see anything about running lights, but that might have been a selection done with the PCM on some cars - it is that way on my '11 Cayenne.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:56 PM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Would it be possible to buy the tool off Amazon and use it for a PDK service then return it? I know it's not the best thing to do, but I rather not have two OBII readers on hand (even though I could probably sell the one, not sure how soon though).

Quick Reply: Foxwell OBD scanner review